HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ It's all about the context, and given the lack of investment on 118th ave I welcome this building, as I'm sure the people who will occupy it shortly will too. No Ed Gooch did not design it. But thanks for playing.
Thanks for posting these. I actually don't mind this project, the red isn't the best but I quite like it. Any hearings on retail, if any are going in?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:19 PM
HVAC guru

^^As long as they have the proper reset schedule on the boilers and are monitoring the leaving side of the heat exchanger it should be fine. We do ramp heating control all over the city and never really have a problem. I see that the boys over at Siemens are doing the automation for the site so I'm sure they've got it covered.

^ No retail. The main floor is going to be all artists space. There's a good mix of shops & restos in the area.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:23 PM

Wow. Never have I seen a city defend tripe that clearly was designed by an "architect" without a soul. Either that, or an "architect" with a grudge. Take your pick, because that's the only two possible scenarios.

Fine, you can keep that steaming dung-heap to yourself. Just don't let pictures of it leak onto the interweb again. Not only do I have to clean my screen, I feel like I should rewire my office also.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:26 PM
HVAC guru

^ Go away s211. You're not contributing anything here.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:44 PM

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:50 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
ha

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:50 PM
HVAC guru

What an idiot

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
WTH lol
Talk about going the extra mile. Wonder what he would've done had he seen some of the other new projects in the core. cough cough Venetian.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:56 PM
Community Guy

^and that's the thing... i would rather live in the 118th project than the venetian or that BCM thing.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnklc View Post
any interest in a small wager (say something that weighs in about 2,750 pounds or so?) that there will be lots of weather and days where it won't be enough to keep it ice free? and it won't necessarily be those -35 days either but those that are about -5 or -10 with a nice bit of freezing rain or wet snow and a bit of a breeze... they better keep door panels in stock as well as glycol.
I'm not worried about the temperature. There are quite a number of ramps in this city with similar grades that handle the cold and snow. What worries me are the SUVs and Pickups that will drive down and take out the overhead.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:58 PM
HVAC guru

I just realized that my Stadium fieldhouse & rec centre pix didn't upload. It's full underway & is going to be quite a large facility based on the footprint!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnklc View Post
any interest in a small wager (say something that weighs in about 2,750 pounds or so?) that there will be lots of weather and days where it won't be enough to keep it ice free? and it won't necessarily be those -35 days either but those that are about -5 or -10 with a nice bit of freezing rain or wet snow and a bit of a breeze... they better keep door panels in stock as well as glycol.
Our work has a heated ramp and I haven't seen ice on it in the 7 years I have been there.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 10:20 PM
HVAC guru

Here are the missing photos of the Stadium rec centre & fieldhouse, plus some neat shots Little Italy

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 10:24 PM
Community Guy

^i absolutely love that building and how the owner uses it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post

AGA

What happened - did somebody crumple the blueprints, or did the computer have a meltdown during the design phase?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 12:08 AM
A Better Place

^I find it quite attractive actually. Better to have architectural diversity than having all the same stuccoed boxes with punched windows on block after block.

On another note, I highly suspect that s211 moniker to be the reincarnation of that troll Tony(whatever was after the "tony").

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Wow. Never have I seen a city defend tripe that clearly was designed by an "architect" without a soul. Either that, or an "architect" with a grudge. Take your pick, because that's the only two possible scenarios.

Fine, you can keep that steaming dung-heap to yourself. Just don't let pictures of it leak onto the interweb again. Not only do I have to clean my screen, I feel like I should rewire my office also.
i suppose if the insults are cross posted in various threads i won't feel bad about "taking the bait" and responding in more than one place. so in case you miss it elsewhere, the object of your scorn is not the only thing being built in edmonton and it's not terribly representative of everything that is either (although i have some connection to both of the following and will admit to some bias as a result):

and when it's done, this one will make some of these "pedestrian":

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilman View Post
Our work has a heated ramp and I haven't seen ice on it in the 7 years I have been there.
it's not just the ice that may or may not build up - it's the snow on your tires that will hit that layer of water "that isn't ice on it" and see you hydroplaning all the way down... it's the grade on this one going down - not up - which is scary, not the capability of the glycol loops (they'll actually contribute to the problem until the ramp is dry, not just snow or ice free). on the other hand, it will probably only happen to you once...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
^I find it quite attractive actually. Better to have architectural diversity than having all the same stuccoed boxes with punched windows on block after block.

On another note, I highly suspect that s211 moniker to be the reincarnation of that troll Tony(whatever was after the "tony").

Interesting and valid point. Diversity is always better than too much of any one type of design. That being said though, many of us on this forum beg for more glass curtain/facades and 'simple, hot' designs with higher quality materials. However, wouldn't too many of these designs create the same monotony as well? I guess we don't know because we don't have to look at them every day, but that fact alone must be one of the reasons we beg for these types of proposals in the first place.

I'm about to wander onto a long tangent here, bear with me...

Looking at another city like Vancouver--where 'average infill' condos in that city often look like they would stand out if hypothetically transplanted in Edmonton--could it perhaps be that Vancouver can afford to build more of these buildings in a way that Edmonton can't? Glass buildings built in Edmonton must be engineered to insulate well against harsh winters, but in a place like Vancouver that doesn't get cold temperatures, they must be able to use glass with lower R-values, and is likely much more affordable, right? I wonder if that variable can bring the overall cost of a Vancouver building down into the same ballpark as many of Edmonton's stucco 'wonders' (unless seismic-sensitive engineering affects costs that much more out there...)?

I understand that population demographics (average income, etc.) might also push the standard of condo designs into more expensive territory as Vancouver real-estate can sell at a premium already. I just wonder aloud if our buildings including new proposals are much more of a reflection of our geographic location than we'd care to admit...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:26 AM
Kevin Folds Five

s211: murman & tony's horrific test tube love child?? oh the humanity!!

Come on now. You have to take the building (referring to the arts bldg on 118th) in context for where it is, and what purpose it serves.

Things would be different if it were built downtown. A "new" building in that area is enough in itself, the fact that it's mediocre in design (neither outstanding, nor repulsive) makes its presence a non-issue, in my opinion.

Good on the developer. Someone has to take the first step towards rejuvenation, and it sure ain't going to be someone willing to pony up the cash to build something iconic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton