HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 5:38 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2014 in YANGON, Myanmar

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:53 PM

Awesome photos. I assume you made it up to Bagan?

Separately, is it just me or is everyone going to Burma now? I think three different people I follow on Instagram (friends and acquaintances, not magazines, photogs, etc) have posted pictures from there in the past 12 months.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 10:07 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 10:43 PM
Future God

Fascinating stuff. Looks beautiful...kind of like a southeast asian version of Havana.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 3:22 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Awesome photos. I assume you made it up to Bagan?

Separately, is it just me or is everyone going to Burma now? I think three different people I follow on Instagram (friends and acquaintances, not magazines, photogs, etc) have posted pictures from there in the past 12 months.
Yes, I made a trip to Bagan by air. Will post those photos in a separate thread later.

I saw a lot of foreign tourists in Yangon - seems the new hotspot of late.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 1:01 AM

My favourite country! Such nice people and fascinating history. Thanks for the photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Burma has opened up quite a bit in recent years, and many areas once restricted for foreigners are now permitted. One can even cross overland from India to Thailand, since last year! Tourism is on the rise but the infrastructure doesn't develop that fast, and I heard stories of foreign tourists being stranded without a place to stay in hotspots like Bagan or Mandalay. I saw a lot of change between 2012 and 2014 and it seems that more change is on the way. Let's hope for an 'intelligent' development, one that will not see the destruction of so much nature like in neighbouring Thailand.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 7:32 AM
Hong Kong

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 7:41 AM

I'm becoming increasingly tempted. I live just a few short hours from Myanmar...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 5:09 PM
Hong Kong

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 12:41 PM
Hong Kong

Kyaiktiyo is a major pilgrimmage location for Buddhists. It is possible to visit as a day trip from Yangon, but you need to set out before sunrise to start the 3-hour journey. We weren't alone on the road.

We got dropped off at the truck station, where we need to book a seat to ascend to the site. There are 3 options : (i) a seat on the back of the big pick-up truck; (ii) a more expensive seat at the front cab; (iii) pay for all 5 front cab seats.

It was a 20-minute journey up winding mountain roads, with stops along the way where groups of "poor" people came with buckets to collect well-wishers' donations.

To get in, you need to take off your shoes, just like any other Buddhist temple. With so many people going through this location, the ground is not clean at all, but you just need to bear with it.

More here : http://www.globalphotos.org/myanmar-goldenrock.htm

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 7:02 AM

^Hmmmm not sure I'd have a go at those birds...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos