HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:27 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Max won't be seeing a dime of that money for many months. At this point the only question is "how long will the lockout be?"

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:23 PM
Registered Loser

i like how the addition of the cap has turned sports enthusiasts into accountants.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:40 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
i like how the addition of the cap has turned sports enthusiasts into accountants.
I haven't seen any T-accounts yet.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Half of the US teams will SAVE money if there's a lockout.
True. In my opinion, most of the stupid expansion teams in the 90s are to blame for the fact that Bettman might get his NHL lockout hat trick this year.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 2:08 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Max won't be seeing a dime of that money for many months. At this point the only question is "how long will the lockout be?"
I do agree with you, we will have a lockout. However, his extension kicks in after the 2012-2013 season.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
True. In my opinion, most of the stupid expansion teams in the 90s are to blame for the fact that Bettman might get his NHL lockout hat trick this year.
When you say that keep in mind that in the early-mid 90's the Phoenixes of the NHL were pretty much every Canadian team except Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 2:21 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
When you say that keep in mind that in the early-mid 90's the Phoenixes of the NHL were pretty much every Canadian team except Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto.
In comparison to other teams at the time, yes. But in absolute terms? Not even close.

No Canadian team went bankrupt, nor were pretty much kicked out of their arena, nor were owned by the NHL for years, nor were seeing under 10,000 fans per game in a city where you have to visit 10 sports stores before you can even find merchandise for sale, nor were any requiring tens of millions of dollars in government subsidies just to break even. What's happening now is just completely different than the 90s.

I've seen some comparisons in terms of losses and whatnot between Jets 1.0 and the Coyotes, and it's staggering. The Jets might lose $5 million in a season back then. The Coyotes are currently losing 6-8x as much. And inflation hasn't been THAT high.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 4:56 PM

Quote:
The Jets might lose $5 million in a season back then. The Coyotes are currently losing 6-8x as much.
Indeed.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 9:16 PM

It might soon be time that I need find a KHL team to cheer for... Lets go HC Donbass!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 10:38 PM

Sounds like Detroit is seriously interested in Bouwmeester and they are willing to give us some decent players in return. PLEASE BE TRUE!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 3:39 AM

Quote:
I've seen some comparisons in terms of losses and whatnot between Jets 1.0 and the Coyotes, and it's staggering. The Jets might lose $5 million in a season back then. The Coyotes are currently losing 6-8x as much. And inflation hasn't been THAT high.
Of course while real world inflation hasn't been that high.... in the sports world, it's not that far off.

In 92/93 Winnipeg's payroll was just $9.2 million. The league average was $10 million.

In 02/03, Winnipeg's payroll is set to be just over $52 million including bonuses. The league average is around $58 million.

So around 5.5x as much... blows my mind how out of control it is.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 2:26 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
Of course while real world inflation hasn't been that high.... in the sports world, it's not that far off.

In 92/93 Winnipeg's payroll was just $9.2 million. The league average was $10 million.

In 02/03, Winnipeg's payroll is set to be just over $52 million including bonuses. The league average is around $58 million.

So around 5.5x as much... blows my mind how out of control it is.
Yeah, but what was the league average by 95-96, when the team left? The 90s were a ridiculous escalation in salaries. I remember teams practically doubling their payrolls in a single season.

Don't disagree with your overall sentiment, however. But it's not like the Jets 1.0 were losing money to the tune of half their average payroll each season. The Jets also did not have revenue sharing which Phoenix currently enjoys - their losses would be 20-30% higher without that.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 8:26 PM

Surprised im the first one to post this. A bit risky to pay a guy this much money for this long with only a couple seasons under his belt but Oilers management clearly thinks he is only going to get better.

Quote:
OILERS, HALL AGREE TO SEVEN-YEAR, $42M CONTRACT EXTENSION

EDMONTON -- The Edmonton Oilers have locked up forward Taylor Hall with a seven-year contract extension.

The Oilers say the contract is worth an average of $6 million per season.

The club announced the deal Wednesday on its Twitter account.

Hall was the Oilers' first overall pick in 2010 and has since become a key fixture on the team's youthful top line alongside fellow first overall pick Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle. Hall finished with 27 goals and 26 assists in 61 games before his season was cut short due to a shoulder injury.

Those numbers were slightly up from his rookie campaign when he had 22 goals and 20 assists in 65 games in another injury-shortened season.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403610

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 8:42 PM
Community Guy

^It is a fair salary for our up and coming Lindros.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 8:45 PM
Home of Hyperchange

These deals are being thrown around in a world with a very high cap floor (and ceiling). The new CBA will change things fundamentally again - for another few years. The only question is how many months it will be until hockey resumes.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 8:46 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^It is a fair salary for our up and coming Lindros.

Post of the week!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 9:18 PM
Change is good

Quote:
I'm only 20-years-old, and I think that shows the commitment that I have here. When they said seven years, I didn't blink -- I'm comfortable being here for that long. By that time, we're going to be a perennial threat and that was my main goal and mindset when I signed my deal.
Taylor Hall.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 9:28 PM
Community Guy

'I look forward to proving something to myself and others.'
Eric Lindros

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
'I look forward to proving something to myself and others.'
Eric Lindros
This quote perfectly tells anyone all they need to know about Lindros. When you say I, and myself, and attach a "and others." to the end of the sentence it really shows where your priorities lie...on a team sport.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 8:05 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Well, it's not the worst thing to say/think if you're going through a rough patch and have low confidence, but I don't think Lindros had that issue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada