HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 4:01 AM

Here's the whole article. The tl;dr is that PAW might actually get restarted, and two other towers are under consideration for lots that are currently *parking lots*.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i..._office_t.html

New downtown Portland office towers pitched to meet rising demand

Published: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 8:22 PM

Updated: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 8:22 PM

Jeff Manning, The Oregonian

View full size

Portland's downtown real estate scene is about to get a lot more interesting, as multiple developers are suddenly pushing new projects to deal with a shortage -- yes, a shortage -- of large blocks of downtown office space.

Harsch Investment Corp. and Gerding Edlen are both considering new buildings in the suddenly red-hot West End of Portland. They would like to step into the breach left by TMT Development, whose Park Avenue West office tower has laid dormant since spring 2009.

But Park Avenue West may soon be more than an expensive hole in the ground. Portland real estate circles have been abuzz in recent weeks that TMT may have resuscitated the project thanks to a sudden abundance of large downtown tenants looking to relocate.

Executives at TMT -- the development arm of the Tom Moyer family -- declined to comment.

In an era of a historic housing crash and recession it seems strange to be talking about a real estate boom in any sector. Yet, downtown Portland has maintained a tight vacancy rate of less than 10 percent.

Even Shorenstein Properties LLC's completion in June of the 341,000-square-foot First & Main building did not appreciably bump vacancy rates. That was due largely to the arrival of several government agencies displaced by the renovation of their former home.

"Because we've been in such a difficult economic environment for a couple years, people haven't wanted to play a lot of offense," said David Squire, managing director of the Grubb & Ellis commercial real estate office in Portland. "But if you look at the numbers, it's tight out there. If you're a large user needing 50,000 square feet or more, you're out of options."

Indeed, several large users are in the market, having either grown out of their space or have expiring leases.

The Miller Nash law firm and KPFF Consulting Engineers are both looking at possibly moving. Both need 50,000 square feet or more.

Miller Nash, one of Portland's largest law firms, currently occupies 60,000 square feet at the U.S. Bancorp Tower.

View full size

The firm issued a request for proposals to prospective landlords. It talked with TMT, Gerding Edlen and Harsch, said Jon Goodling, a Miller Nash partner involved in the office planning process.

Remaining in the U.S. Bancorp tower is a possibility, Goodling said. But some Miller Nash lawyers are ready for a change in scenery away from the gritty Burnside strip and neighboring Old Town.

"I think it's fair to say that there are number of partners interested in a new location closer to the central city core," Goodling said. "It's a symbolic thing -- that we're a forward looking firm."

KPFF is also in U.S. Bancorp Tower. The 140-employee-firm's lease will soon expire, said Art Johnson, KPFF vice president.

The jewel in the crown of prospective tenants is Iberdrola Renewables, a fast-growing green energy company that needs 100,000 square feet or more, according to industry sources. Iberdrola came into the Portland market when its parent company bought Scottish Power, which had purchased PacifiCorp several years earlier.

Iberdrola made Portland it's North American headquarters and currently is located in Block 4 of the Brewery Blocks office cluster in the Pearl District.

"We need more space," said company spokeswoman Jan Johnson. "We started with the seventh floor and half of the sixth. Now, we have the 7th, the 6th, part of the 4th and we've had to move people to a building across the street."

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is also hunting for as much as 125,000 square feet for its more than 400 employees. But the security requirements for federal tenants -- such as the 25-meter minimum setback from front door to the street -- is making the Corps a difficult fit in the downtown core.

The flurry of demand has developers scurrying to revive projects sidelined by the economic crash.

Harsch Development is looking at building a new 15-story office tower at the intersection of Southwest 10th Avenue and Stark Street. The company, headed by Jordan Schnitzer, wants to build adjacent to the former Federal Reserve building, which Harsch also owns, on the site of a surface parking lot.

Harsch is not going to rush into anything, Schnitzer said. Like nearly all real estate firms, Harsch is dealing with some significant problems in its portfolio of assets.

"We continue to drink from a fire hose in terms of humility," Schnitzer said.

But financial markets have loosened up. And there is significant pent-up demand from institutional investors to finance projects, Schnitzer said.

Gerding Edlen would like to build its 11 West building at the corner of Southwest 12th Avenue and Washington Street.

The site, kitty-corner to the firm's highly successful 12 West apartment/office building, currently holds a City Center Parking surface parking lot.

Gerding Edlen is working with Goodman family, owner of City Center Parking and a longtime financial ally.

Gerding Edlen principal Kelly Saito declined to give much detail about 11 West, saying it's early in the planning process.

Also in the mix are Portland developers Jim Winkler and Bob Naito, who continue to search for tenants for their One Waterfront Place.

Winkler and Naito wanted to build the 12-story, 250,000 square-foot building on a site at Northwest Naito Parkway just north of the Broadway Bridge.

--Jeff Manning
© 2010 OregonLive.com. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
Hmm, does this mean One Waterfront Place and The Weave will get the green light?
Saw Jeff Kovel of Skylab speaking a couple weeks ago. He said that they are currently fitting out the existing building on that site as the 'pre-Weave', with the intention of getting the kind of tenants they would eventually like for the Weave. So while he seemed optimistic that the Weave will happen one day, I wouldn't bet on it any time soon.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 8:37 AM
shozbot!

Anticipating an office-building thaw

http://www.portlandarchitecture.com/
Brian Libby

It's not to say we're through the difficulty just yet. Unemployment remains high, both nationally and especially in Oregon. Development in downtown has lately been symbolized by a giant hole in the ground where the Park Avenue West tower was supposed to be built before construction stalled. And investments or other help from the federal government may be coming to a halt after Tuesday's elections.

But there are also signs of a thaw. On the national level, the Labor Department said today that the American economy showed a net gain of 151,000 jobs last month. (Yet the fickle electorate remained restless.) And here in Portland, Jeff Manning reported in Wednesday's Oregonian that not only may developer Tom Moyer's Park Avenue West by TVA Architects finally be resuscitated, but new downtown office towers are being pitched to meet increasing demand. After all, the city has a downtown office vacancy rate of less than 10 percent. And several large tenants may be looking for new space.

"Because we've been in such a difficult economic environment for a couple years, people haven't wanted to play a lot of offense," David Squire, managing director of the Grubb & Ellis commercial real estate office in Portland, told Manning. "But if you look at the numbers, it's tight out there. If you're a large user needing 50,000 square feet or more, you're out of options."

Among those said to be looking for new space of this size are the Miller Nash law firm and KPFF Consulting Engineers. Iberdrola Renewables is looking for at least 100,000 square feet, Manning reports, and the Army Corps of Engineers needs 125,000. Although new office buildings like One Main Place have arrived recently, they've been offset by the emptying out of the Edith Green Wendell Wyatt federal building for renovations.

If any new office buildings see groundbreaking in the year ahead, two of the likeliest seem to be planned for the West End.

Manning reports Harsch Development, headed by Jordan Schnitzer, is looking at building a new 15-story office tower at the intersection of Southwest 10th Avenue and Stark Street, on a surface parking lot adjacent to the former Federal Reserve building. This would be an ideal location given the energy of the block across 10th Avenue that includes the Ace Hotel, Kenny & Zuke's Deli, and Living Room Theaters, not to mention Powell's Books and the Brewery Blocks two blocks north.

Developer Gerding Edlen may also be considering a project called 11 West, at the corner of Southwest 12th Avenue and Washington Street on a City Center Parking surface lot. The adjacent building, the ZGF Architects-designed 12 West mixed-use tower, Gerding developed in partnership with City Center Parking on one of the company's other surface lots. It has become the most successful major buiding project of the past two years, with a host of office, retail and housing tenants accrued even amidst the Great Recession. It also was named to the AIA Committee on the Environment's national Top 10 Green Projects list. Given that 12 West enjoys first-rate sustainability credentials, with its LEED Platinum rating and the nation's first-ever use of wind turbines on a high-density urban tower, perhaps Gerding has shown (as they did with the Brewery Blocks) that top level sustainability gives companies and developers a proven market advantage.

However, when I spoke with Gerding Edlen leader Mark Edlen this morning by phone (I happened to be interviewing him for another story), he called a groundbreaking announcement for 11 West "premature". If the economy really is picking up, Edlen knows it is a tentative, slow recovery at best. And he knows there is still a giant sink hole a block away from Pioneer Courthouse Square that is yet to be filled with steel and glass, let alone tenants.

One other potential project was mentioned in Manning's story, one that has been in gestation now for nearly a decade: One Waterfront Place. I remember seeing a presentation on this building as far back as the Greenbuild conference in 2002. Developed by Jim Winkler and Bob Naito, the 12-story, 250,000 square-foot building would be constructed on a site at Northwest Naito Parkway just north of the Broadway Bridge with a LEED Platinum rating.

Given how a new streetcar line is being planned to cross the bridge and much development is planned for the Rose Quarter, One Waterfront could be ideally positioned. But that's something which was said of the building many years before. That's the thing about the speculative office market, I guess. Anything we say before ground is broken is just that: speculation.

Posted by Brian Libby on November 05, 20

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 7:30 PM

does anyone know what's going on here?

Portlandmaps shows a commercial demo permit and when I drove by yesterday demo had certainly begun...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 8:55 PM

^ It's been discussed on here before but I can't remember any details or where to find it.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 7:16 AM

That's some sort of alternative medicine college coming in I thought.. I think they are mostly rehabbing the building. I noticed part of the building had been demo'ed last week.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 8:42 AM

oh ok. is that possibly the new site for the NCNM?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 7:37 PM

Beam is rehabbing for Oregon College of Oriental Medicine.

http://www.beamdevelopment.com/locat...-town-portland

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 2:09 AM

Has the PNCA released any renderings of their new student housing?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:29 AM

Not sure what they have on the boards, but they must be optimistic: Skylab have two job adverts up.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 1:54 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Didn't know where else to put this. The Portland Spirit company wants to build a new 100' dock near OMSI:

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...42261&a=357798

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 5:12 AM
Karma Police

But wait.... Portland Spirit said they're gonna go out of business because the new MLR bridge is too low for their future ships (which apparently are going to be really really tall).

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 12:51 AM

This is interesting. Architect is Ankrom, unfortunately, but hey, more housing in the Lloyd...

This is from Neighborhood Notes.

Six-Story Apartment Building Planned in NE

Lloyd District
Representatives for Civitas Development seek to build a $4.8 million, 6-story, 60-unit residential development on a vacant 10,000 square-foot lot at the corner of NE Multnomah Street at 1st Avenue. BDS seeks responses from the city's various agencies regarding the proposal. Written comments regarding this proposal must be submitted to BDS by November 7. A public hearing before the city's design commission is tentatively planned for November 17. (LU 11-165918 DZM)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 3:10 AM

^ Hopefully that gets built (the neighboring 100 Multnomah project looks dead). The design is economical (as in: cheap, unoffensive and boring), but, honestly, that's a tough location. It has downtown proximity and plenty of mass transit options, but it also has an elevated freeway, the OCC dead zone, and the Clam (Rose Garden) as neighbors.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 9:29 AM

^^^ Oh I totally agree. I'm looking forward to all the vacant/parking lots in the Lloyd getting infilled, especially along the streetcar line on 7th.

*slightly off-topic warning*
Call me crazy, but I fail to see how it wouldn't have been more economical and sensible to target all the development energy that went into SOWA right into an area like the Lloyd, where there already is infrastructure -- including streets, sewers, rail lines, streetlights, grocery stores, parks, shopping, etc, etc. In a city with such limited financial resources and economic heft, I can't help but shake the feeling that we played our cards all wrong. I mean, SOWA has its cool aspects, don't get me wrong, but it still takes a lot of faith to picture a complete-feeling neighborhood down there. It already feels to me like a dinosaur, a half-built relic of a hubristic age we may not see again...then again, maybe I just need to put my rose-colored glasses back on...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers
It already feels to me like a dinosaur, a half-built relic of a hubristic age we may not see again...
Ouch! I don't think my glasses are rose colored, maybe they are, but I'm truly amazed at the growth of the South Waterfront. Just 7 years ago, there was nothing but brownfields there. In the next decade or two, SoWa will fill in, so will the Lloyd. It takes generations to build a great city, neighborhood's growth should be organic too. I will be excited to see new architectural styles that reflect evolution of technology as well as economic conditions in new builds.

Sure, things are still bleak out there, but after the bust comes a boom, and there will be other busts after other booms. Makes for interesting, diverse places once build out is achieved.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 6:41 PM

The Portland Design Commission gave its final approval to the Milano Apartments yesterday. It is a 6 story, 60 unit work force housing building at 1st and Multnomah in the Lloyd/Rose Quarter area. The architects is Ankrom Moisan and the developer is Civitas. I think I heard they are planning to start construction the 6th of January.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:22 PM

The Lloyd District has good infrastructure and plenty of developable space. With this massive project, the hotel Weston is proposing, the renewed push for the OCC hotel (who knows?) the on hold office tower adjacent to the Rose Quarter stop, that smaller apartment building going in etc. etc. This neighborhood could become extremely vibrant, quickly, if everything gets underway.

The mall can always be renovated and opened up. It used to be an open air mall.

from PBOT
http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...=66095&c=36416

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:30 PM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
The Lloyd District has good infrastructure and plenty of developable space. With this massive project, the hotel Weston is proposing, the renewed push for the OCC hotel (who knows?) the on hold office tower adjacent to the Rose Quarter stop, that smaller apartment building going in etc. etc. This neighborhood could become extremely vibrant, quickly, if everything gets underway.

The mall can always be renovated and opened up. It used to be an open air mall.

from PBOT
http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...=66095&c=36416
I agree. The mall could even open up to the street without going back to open air. I shopped many times there wearing a hat and gloves a long long time ago. When M&F was there it had storefront facing the park. The eyes on the street always help. Today Macy's which was Meier and Frank has a stone wall facing the park. Cool picture by the way...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:38 PM
Karma Police

The entire 6-block facade along Multnomah could easily become streetfront retail with apartments above, while keeping the rest of the mall intact. There's plenty of room to redevelop the parking on the south side of the mall into something much better. And yes, Macy's should open directly onto Holliday Park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland