HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 6:07 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Dp

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 6:08 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Stop severing access points!
Sounds painful.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Dp
Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Sounds painful.
Hope you survived.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 3:26 AM
Acey

I don't really have any horror stories to report about Shag (north of Crow) and CHB... the latter I've heard some serious horror stories. Beddington > CHB > Shag is a solid crosstown route.

I have reason to believe that the Beddington/CHB interchange used to not exist (only a couple years old) and did CHB used to be only 4 lanes for its entirety?

I am fine with no money right now being spent upgrading JLB, Shag, CHB, or Beddington. Please put ALL of that money toward Crowchild and McKnight, the biggest problems we have right now, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 7:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I have reason to believe that the Beddington/CHB interchange used to not exist (only a couple years old) and did CHB used to be only 4 lanes for its entirety?
Yes CHB and Beddington used to be smaller roads before they became bigger roads, and yes it was not that long ago. Stoney Trail is supposed to be the parallel to these types of cross-town options, which it is for times when people need to go completely from one side to the other. On the other hand, when people only need to traverse smaller segments of the North, CHB becomes a real option. One of the smallish changes that could help somewhat in this area is to complete the Stoney Trail / 14th st NW intersection. Currently you cannot go WB on Stoney from 14N, so the density in Panorama (which continues to grow with more condos being built currently) is pushed down to CHB.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 10:40 PM
Acey

McKnight now backs up from John Laurie to Barlow. Both directions. Man, the NE is really screwed.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 10:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
McKnight now backs up from John Laurie to Barlow. Both directions. Man, the NE is really screwed.
Not sure what that happy face was about, but this just underscores the importance of the Airport Tunnel, as development and density intensifies in that quadrant. As density goes, the NE was always better at it than most other areas of the city, so they should get kudos for that, and not be penalized by limiting access.

BTW McKnight West of Centre is actually NW

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 11:07 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Edmonton Trail reconstruction

Perhaps this should be mentioned here.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:21 AM
Acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Not sure what that happy face was about
Sorry, that was supposed to be one of these: (damn you autocorrect). I have to deal with McKnight everyday, there's no real viable alternative. I'm certainly not happy about it.

Last edited by Acey; May 4, 2013 at 5:06 AM.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 11:04 PM

Regarding TCH/Bowfort interchange:

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...a-Highway.aspx
"Upcoming open house. Attend the upcoming open house to learn more about the lower-cost, optimization improvements The City is proposing to address existing traffic concerns and to discuss next steps for a future interchange at this intersection.
Date: May 8, 2013 Time: 5 to 7:30 p.m. Location: Bowness Community Centre (7904 43 Ave N.W.)"

Anybody going? It'll be interesting to see what low cost alternative they propose for an overpass that was "approved" to be built before the Olympics but is approaching 30 years of inaction. I can't imagine what they could do there that's low cost - bike lanes? traffic circle? expand to 4 or 5 lanes of traffic? Seems like just another Crowchild Trail situation where the city knows the solution but is afraid to just carry through with building it. I've lost count how many times it was approved and then delayed.

I've never understood why the city/province doesn't copy the Valley Ridge Blvd/TCH design of interchange. It seems to me like a relatively cheap way to build an interchange - especially when the side roads are unlikely to ever have a lot of traffic. Or couldn't they just build a 1 lane each direction overpass? It seems like a lot of places use expensive designs where they don't need them. (see Stoney/Scenic Acres/Tuscany)

Last edited by Yahoo; May 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 12:43 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Oh for Christsake just build the interchange already!
If they had built this when they should have it would have cost $20 mil. - what a joke!

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 4:10 PM

I hope the people that go just tell them to build the damn thing and don't worry about costs. Should've been done a long time ago as mentioned. Now you pay the 'price' for delaying so long.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 6:56 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Exactly.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 2:11 AM
Acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
It seems like a lot of places use expensive designs where they don't need them. (see Stoney/Scenic Acres/Tuscany)
I quite like that interchange though, the alternative would be a weaving movement which would require an upgrade to the current design when Stoney gets busy anyway. We already have enough places where weaving will be a problem on Stoney.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
Regarding TCH/Bowfort interchange:

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...a-Highway.aspx
"Upcoming open house. Attend the upcoming open house to learn more about the lower-cost, optimization improvements The City is proposing to address existing traffic concerns and to discuss next steps for a future interchange at this intersection.
Date: May 8, 2013 Time: 5 to 7:30 p.m. Location: Bowness Community Centre (7904 43 Ave N.W.)"

Anybody going? It'll be interesting to see what low cost alternative they propose for an overpass that was "approved" to be built before the Olympics but is approaching 30 years of inaction. I can't imagine what they could do there that's low cost - bike lanes? traffic circle? expand to 4 or 5 lanes of traffic? Seems like just another Crowchild Trail situation where the city knows the solution but is afraid to just carry through with building it. I've lost count how many times it was approved and then delayed.

I've never understood why the city/province doesn't copy the Valley Ridge Blvd/TCH design of interchange. It seems to me like a relatively cheap way to build an interchange - especially when the side roads are unlikely to ever have a lot of traffic. Or couldn't they just build a 1 lane each direction overpass? It seems like a lot of places use expensive designs where they don't need them. (see Stoney/Scenic Acres/Tuscany)
Unless the only thing being proposed is a (temporary) elimination of the basket weave between Bowfort and Stoney, that interchange is about 20 years overdue and should not be further delayed. With it being the Trans Canada Highway, ideally the province and even the feds should be contributing some of the funding to the city - at least then the TCH can be considered a freeway from Banff NP to Sarcee Trail.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:31 PM

City outlines plan to fix gridlock at N.W. intersection - New turning lanes eyed for Trans-Canada Highway and 16th Avenue (CBC Calgary)

Quote:
As a temporary measure until funding comes through for an interchange, city engineers now plan to install additional left-turn lanes on southbound Bowfort Road and on eastbound 16th Avenue.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 5:24 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Pegasus Road now connects up to Barlow Trail. It is open, and connects directly across from 48th Ave.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 5:23 AM

16 Avenue NE & 19 Street NE Interchange Study

Next open house is Wednesday, May 22, 2013 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Crossroads Community Association, 1803 14 Avenue NE.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 5:59 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^ I would love it if they got rid of those lights at 16th Ave. & 19th St.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 5:26 AM
Acey

Do they realize that they have a shitty diamond interchange at Deerfoot? How about an open house for that disaster instead?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure