HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Devon Energy Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
is there any pics of the new highways?
also the demo of the old highways?

does the Devon company own the building?
yes, devon owns the building

good updates on the highway are on Urban Review STL here:

http://urbanreviewstl.com/2012/07/tr...a-city-part-1/

http://urbanreviewstl.com/2012/07/tr...a-city-part-2/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 5:23 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
Here's a few more:

From the northwest:

From the southwest at Will Rogers World Airport:

From the south-southeast along the Oklahoma River:
Killer pics.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
It is a 1.8 million square foot tower with a vast majority of that space being office, no way it only holds 2,500 employees. PNC is building an 800,000 square foot tower in Pittsburgh that holds 3,000 employees. Trust me, you dont have a clue in what you are talking about.
Devon Energy To Consolidate All U.S. Operations To OKC

http://www.news9.com/story/19795236/...rations-to-okc

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:33 AM

Such a jewel this tower is.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
Devon Energy To Consolidate All U.S. Operations To OKC

http://www.news9.com/story/19795236/...rations-to-okc
Might we get another Devon tower ? I'm reading that this one is basically full.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 10:13 PM

Um, pretty obvious that was the purpose of this tower to begin with. Like I said months ago the tower is probably 60-70% unoccupied with only OKC employees there. The addition of the Texas/Louisiana workforce probably brings the tower to over half full. According to wiki (I know) Devon only has a little over 5,000 employees total all could fit into that tower with plenty of room for future expansion. The thought that Devon has another office tower in mind after building this one is just wishful thinking. Lets use a little common sense.

edit: Confirmed 5,200 is their *total* workforce, plenty of room in this tower.

Last edited by Cashville; Oct 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Um, pretty obvious that was the purpose of this tower to begin with. Like I said months ago the tower is probably 60-70% unoccupied with only OKC employees there. The addition of the Texas/Louisiana workforce probably brings the tower to over half full. According to wiki (I know) Devon only has a little over 5,000 employees total all could fit into that tower with plenty of room for future expansion. The thought that Devon has another office tower in mind after building this one is just wishful thinking. Lets use a little common sense.

edit: Confirmed 5,200 is their *total* workforce, plenty of room in this tower.
Based on your track record ... I'm thinking a new tower is a lock.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 6:44 PM

I just dont understand this building... its great for the city and all, but it sticks out like a sore thumb, and 54 floors, 850 feet just doesnt seem necessary

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
I just dont understand this building... its great for the city and all, but it sticks out like a sore thumb, and 54 floors, 850 feet just doesnt seem necessary
I agree. I feel the same way about the Eiffel Tower. Sticks out like a sore thumb in Paris.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 6:58 PM

Quote:
im sure eventually more people might be attracted into the city nad maybe it wont be all alone

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 8:18 PM

Yeah, its the Eiffel Tower of the plains, great comparison Dale.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
im sure eventually more people might be attracted into the city nad maybe it wont be all alone
will take a long time... glad to see oklahoma city growing though. I have relatives who live there and they say the city has a lot of things going for it right now

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 8:33 PM

I don't understand how people don't understand this building. The company wanted to consolidate into one location and have room to grow, so they built it.

Sticks out like a sore thumb? Yes, it does stick out, but more like an icon or something, not like a sore thumb.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 8:53 PM

^ The skyline just needs a fair amount of infill, now. That's it. It might take some time, unless the city witnesses some dramatic growth.
But of course, it's better with that taller building that looks like standing as a super positive signal.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, its the Eiffel Tower of the plains, great comparison Dale.
It's better than the Eiffel Tower, Nostradamus.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 8:58 PM

The building's official grand opening will be next week, then I guess we can call this tower "complete" and move it over.

Despite Cashville's expert opinion on how empty the building must be, Devon employees who are actually in the building are saying that the tower has filled quickly. These aren't cubicles, they're offices. Another 300-500 employees are going to be coming from Houston, where they currently occupy over 500,000 square feet which could easily translate to a building in the 600-700 range if the tower is indeed full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ The skyline just needs a fair amount of infill, now. That's it. It might take some time, unless the city witnesses some dramatic growth.
There is already pretty dramatic growth going on in Oklahoma City by most measures- especially compared to the rest of the country. Population, jobs, GDP, private and public downtown construction- there will be significantly more infill in the next few years and there's pretty good reason to hope that some of that infill will be a new 2nd tallest. Four scenarios are being watched that could create a new tower: 1) Devon overflow, looking increasingly likely 2) Continental Energy, which is growing even faster than their crazy predictions and needing more space 3) Midfirst Bank, which has offices north of downtown and has been overflowing to empty big boxes around the metro and 4) a Mixed-use development on the Stage Center site across the street from Devon Tower.

However a lot of people downtown would be just as happy to see no new tower and instead a renovation of the 1930s First National Tower that is really struggling.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 9:10 PM

Why doesn't chesapeake move downtown?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 9:14 PM

Great. Well yes, fixing the Art Deco tower seems an absolute duty.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Why doesn't chesapeake move downtown?
They have a huge investment in a campus about 4 miles north of downtown and have built a million square feet. They are trying to build a little enclave for themselves, and want to be the "2nd Downtown" of the city. They are still in the inner city. Their purchase and overflow into the other northside office space has also limited the suburban supply so that there are more businesses looking downtown for space- so even with them not being downtown, their presence up there is helping downtown out.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyerdahl View Post
They have a huge investment in a campus about 4 miles north of downtown and have built a million square feet. They are trying to build a little enclave for themselves, and want to be the "2nd Downtown" of the city. They are still in the inner city. Their purchase and overflow into the other northside office space has also limited the suburban supply so that there are more businesses looking downtown for space- so even with them not being downtown, their presence up there is helping downtown out.
ok thanks for the info... if they were to move downtown, there would be no more christmas lights, their display is amazing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive