HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 9:47 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Just stumbled upon one of the original sources of NIMBYism

wikipedia

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 3:27 PM
Near Generational

Not sure if there are any pinball nerds in here, but just to let you guys know that there have been 7 immaculately maintained machines placed at the Atlantic Trap and Gill on Heritage.

The game are:
Games of Thrones (LE)
Ghostbusters (Pro)
Metallica (Pro)
The Addams Family
F-14 Tomcat
South Park
Bram Stoker's Dracula

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 5:39 AM

New Calgary resource: Welcome to SkyriseCalgary

Quote:
On our front page, we’ll be covering the latest development proposals and keeping you informed as these projects rise. We’ll bring you the latest construction updates from our community of urban photographers and show you another side of the city each morning with our daily photo and news roundup.

Get lost in the Database while hunting for updates about The Royal. You might find yourself looking at Embassy Bosa’s other projects and wondering when there will be more news about Currie. But even if you’re disappointed by the slow movement there, looking at Dialog’s other projects in the city will surely console you.

Explore the map to see what’s been proposed around the corner or across the Bow. Whether you’re tracing your route to work or dreaming about life downtown, our map lets you visualize the Database while sorting projects by status and building use.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 2:06 AM

Out of curiosity - I've heard the legend of "Dear God, please give us another oil boom, I promise I won't piss it all away next time" bumper stickers from the 80's - can anyone find a photo of one?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 11:06 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Can anyone recommend what software would be the easiest to accomplish creating a video where you are travelling down a street of artificially created buildings? Like 3d shapes with photos 'skinned' onto them.

Barring that, what software does Calgary Transit use for their future lrt videos?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Can anyone recommend what software would be the easiest to accomplish creating a video where you are travelling down a street of artificially created buildings? Like 3d shapes with photos 'skinned' onto them.

Barring that, what software does Calgary Transit use for their future lrt videos?

Sketch up

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:16 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Sweet thanks.

Can anyone think of a general term for structural items attached to a building that aren't part of the main structure, like porches, balconies, maybe even bay windows, things that if they completely structurally failed wouldn't have any effect on the structural integrity of the building itself?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:41 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Sketch up
Plus, it's free. I've found it great for things like site concepts and general floor plan layouts. It is super simple to use and I would recommend it to anyone.

Quote:
Sweet thanks.

Can anyone think of a general term for structural items attached to a building that aren't part of the main structure, like porches, balconies, maybe even bay windows, things that if they completely structurally failed wouldn't have any effect on the structural integrity of the building itself?
Articulations.

EDIT- not actually, as articulations can be structurally necessary. Articulations just refers to anything beyond a flat façade, which can be things such as projections.

PS- Balconies are most definitely structural (most of the time). The joists on a balcony, as a rule, go two times as deep into the structure as they project out of the exterior wall (you could use beams on either end and run the joists parallel to the exterior wall, but most residential balconies are formed using floor joists that extend outward). So if a balcony fails, it will cause serious issues on the joists that run into the building.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 10:18 PM

The Dangly Bits.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 12:24 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Plus, it's free. I've found it great for things like site concepts and general floor plan layouts. It is super simple to use and I would recommend it to anyone.

Articulations.

EDIT- not actually, as articulations can be structurally necessary. Articulations just refers to anything beyond a flat façade, which can be things such as projections.

PS- Balconies are most definitely structural (most of the time). The joists on a balcony, as a rule, go two times as deep into the structure as they project out of the exterior wall (you could use beams on either end and run the joists parallel to the exterior wall, but most residential balconies are formed using floor joists that extend outward). So if a balcony fails, it will cause serious issues on the joists that run into the building.
Thanks, with the articulations I'm thinking more in the sense of turn of the century wood frame SFH, so they might just be nailed on, although now I'm curious how exactly they were constructed.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 12:30 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The Dangly Bits.
Even better

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:04 PM

Off topic, but I'm sure a lot of people here would have an opinion on this CBC poll and will be making a call.

Is it time to ban the use of headphones by pedestrians and cyclists? Call 1-866-468-4422 to weigh in after news at noon

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
Off topic, but I'm sure a lot of people here would have an opinion on this CBC poll and will be making a call.

Is it time to ban the use of headphones by pedestrians and cyclists? Call 1-866-468-4422 to weigh in after news at noon
Put this in the off topic thread!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:36 PM

This is where to discuss off topic stuff, please use this instead of filling the main thread with off topic discussion.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:44 PM
That's what she said

Quote:

If there is a cycle thread somewhere that would be the place to put this. Anyhow, I don't see a need for the ban, if cyclists want to do it fine, it's really their own lives they are risking.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
In all fairness I don't know if most posters realise there is an off topic thread. We have 80 million threads in the Calgary section, and nobody ever reads them (outside of the Brookfield Place thread). This is the only thread people ever go to.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:04 PM

Quote:

A headphone ban is ridiculous, enforcing it would be a waste of money. Not to sound insensitive because I do feel for those involved, but if you are crossing train tracks or a road and not paying attention, then it's your own damn fault if you get hit.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:16 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Also keep in mind this is a grocery store oriented development. Besides the profit from redevelopment, Co-op is also banking on having a very captive audience based at their doorstep. Like all grocery stores, Co-op needs auto oriented customers because of their large dollar purchases. Take a look at it this way, in my bachelorhood I spent $50-$90 per week on groceries. Today with a wife and kids i spend $150 per week on groceries plus getting a bunch on non food items at Walmart. You can't fit $150 worth of groceries into the bike cargo carrier.
Cargo bikes say "what's up?"

http://shifter.info/can-a-cargo-bike...rip-to-costco/

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:

Yes, this is off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Judging from the last 3 or 4 pages this is the off topic thread.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:45 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Hey now we are approaching the 10,000 post limit!

Can't wait for:

Calgary Construction XXVI: About 30% on Topic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation