HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

View Poll Results: When will Salt Lake City ever get it's own signature tower?
By 2020 19 14.73%
By 2030 39 30.23%
By 2040 12 9.30%
By 2050 or later 7 5.43%
Never 52 40.31%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 11:42 PM
Bring out the cranes...

With all the exciting news of new towers proposals or rumors I thought I would bump this old thread up and re-ask the question, "Will Salt Lake City ever get a signature tower?"

When I did this poll last year, I might should of had one for "before 2020"

Here are some Proposals and Rumors that I think are fair to toss around the fun idea of "what if"

The Forum Office Tower

At a total of 29-stories, this tower could be a new tallest that will be unlike anything we have ever seen here in Salt Lake. People are already calling this a "Game changer" for our skyline.

Urban Air Center

Please note that this rendering is now out of date if rumors are true
Once proposed as a14 story boutique hotel. Will include a restaurant and a high end night club., roof top pool/club, 350 person multi-use entertainment space, this development is rumored to be "much taller" according to a inside source. However that question now rises, if the Forum ends up developing their 18-story "boutique hotel" down the road, will there be enough demand for Urban Air Center as well?

151 Tower

This tower first started out as a 9-story building proposal, then a 14, then a 18 and now a 300 plus footer with a taller crown. While I don't see this tower getting much taller then what they have now, wouldn't it be fun if say, Boyer Company adds another 10 stories on top making this unique design tower a tallest/signature looking skyscraper.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 12:42 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

I like Air and 151, but Forum... blah.

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 8:43 PM
Denver

those buildings are all very nice, but I don't think any of them even come close to what I would consider a signature tower

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
those buildings are all very nice, but I don't think any of them even come close to what I would consider a signature tower
Correct. The AIR and new Convention Center Hotel haven't had renderings or even massings released yet; either has the potential to be a new tallest tower for Salt Lake City. I think the hope is that someone will break out of our boxy mode and give some kind of focus to the skyline. So take the renderings above with a grain of salt--of them, only 151 (the last on SLC Projects message) is a final rendering...and even that has changed a few times.

We want taller and better. Which I suppose is what everyone on SSP wants.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 2:56 PM

it might be a long time before this happens.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:03 PM

SLC's culture would have to change significantly for SLC to get a signature tower. Locals tend to be frugal pragmatists. People who build signature towers are often ego-driven, and not necessarily looking for the best use of capital.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:08 PM

Agree Stenar. We'll have to continue to be patient as Salt Lake City and Metro continue to gather more and more national and international steam. We're finally beginning to see more national clout on the developer front, which I think will signal more and more pressure to change the past mindset on tower height.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 4:56 AM
Never Dell

I find tower developers in my region to be pragmatic on average...they'll build if the cost/risk/return look good enough.

And regardless, they still need to find equity and lending partners who will scrub their costs very closely. There are exceptions of course, like family wealth.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 10:50 PM

A signature tower would be good for SLC. As long as it fit the SLC vibe. That is my one issue with Devon Tower in OKC. It's a gorgeous tower, but in my opinion, it just doesn't flow with the character of their skyline. Looks extremely out of place to me.

I thought SLC had a height restriction in place for buildings?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:42 PM
They all float down here

To be honest, I think Salt Lake's legit last realistic chance for a signature tower was 1998 with the development of the Wells Fargo Center. Had they developed it taller, instead of wider, it would've been a signature tower that stood out - maybe too much so...but it'd definitely define the skyline.

Here's a rough mockup of what it could have looked like:

I just don't see any other tower in the next few years coming along that will push upward like American Stores had the potential to do when they developed their tower.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West