HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Montreal Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Montreal Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 1:53 PM

The latest news on the project

$100M development to put Seville back on the block

Deal includes condos, shops but no student housing

More Images » The tarnished stretch of Ste. Catherine St. including the old Seville Theatre is to become home to Le Séville, a proposed complex of stores and condos.Photograph by: MARIE-FRANCE COALLIER, THE GAZETTE, The GazetteMONTREAL -- After years of serving as a downtown eyesore, the block including the storied former Seville Theatre gets a major shot in the arm Monday with the expected announcement of a plan worth more than $100 million to build condos and storefronts on the strip.

Two Montreal companies, the Claridge investment firm and the real estate developer Prével, are partners in the plan to build Le Séville, as the development on the north side of Ste. Catherine St. W. between Chomedey and Lambert Closse Sts. will be called.

Le Séville will include a 20-storey tower on the west corner connected to an 11-storey building on the east corner and one rising seven storeys in the rear, Jacques Vincent, co-president of Prével, told The Gazette.

They will include about 350 to 450 condos, and stores at street level. Construction is to begin this fall, and the first move-ins by tenants are planned for the spring of 2012.

Unlike previous proposals with Concordia University as a possible participant, this plan, to be designed by the Cardinal Hardy architectural firm, does not include student housing, Vincent added.

"The economic crisis made that unfeasible," he said.

Instead, "it will be all condos."

The preliminary plan is to build at least one-third of the units to sell at what is considered an affordable rate for condos - under $200,000.

"There very well might be students whose parents can buy units for them," Vincent said. "Other people may buy units and rent them out."

Roger Peace, president of the Shaughnessy Village Association, a residents' group in the area, was pleased there won't be student housing.

"We prefer condos," Peace said. "Students are transient. These condos will be for middle-class families. That will bring stability."

And not a bit too soon, Peace said.

Right now, the block just east of the Pepsi Forum, Alexis Nihon Plaza and the Montreal Children's Hospital attracts vagrants, and some people are afraid to walk on the block, Peace said.

Along with adding a solid new project on that section of Ste. Catherine St., Peace said it might be time to consider relocating Chez Doris, a homeless women's day centre located steps away on Chomedey St.

"That place closes at 4 p.m. and the men wait for some of the ladies. Some prostitute them out, get drunk and start yelling. It's really rough."

In the 26 years since the Seville Theatre closed, there have been many promises for the block, including restoring the theatre as a glorious stage and building a hotel. But this time it's for real, Vincent said.

"We just say 'look at our track record.'

"We have 30 years of experience, including building some projects that were not in an easy environment."

Prével's projects include converting a former cigarette factory, the Imperial Tobacco building in St. Henri, into a 725-unit condo building. Only six or seven units remain unsold, he said. Another Prével project is the Lowney condo complex on the site of a former chocolate factory in Griffintown. That project is not yet completed.

"We know how to build affordable, accessible housing," Vincent said.

Le Séville "will conform to all current zoning by-laws," Vincent stated, and to recommendations by the city's public consultations office, which approved a 20-storey height limit in a plan by Claridge for the site last year that was mainly for student housing.

Vincent said all that is left is to submit a final design to obtain the demolition and building permits from the Ville Marie borough.

Ville Marie borough spokesperson Anne-Sophie Harrois confirmed yesterday the borough has been in talks about the Seville block. While the borough is keen to proceed with a development project, Harrois could not say if it will object to any aspect of the newest proposal.

Although they plan to demolish what's left of the Seville, Vincent said Claridge and Prével must present a plan for how to preserve some essence of the theatre, designated by the city as a historic building in 1990.

That could include rebuilding part of the facade in the new buildings or simply including photographs of the old Seville; this hasn't been decided, Vincent stressed.

Dinu Bumbaru, policy director of Heritage Montreal, an architectural preservation group that pushed for the 1990 designation, was generally positive about the news, but said there is not much left of the Seville that is worth saving.

"That's the greatest disappointment in this story," Bumbaru said.

"We wanted the Seville to be protected, but that didn't happen. (In 1990) the interior was all there. But over the years a trap door opened in the ceiling and the snow started falling in.

"The building became an orphan."

mharrold@thegazette.canwest.com

Text SEVILLE123 to 11-2-11 to get more, save or share. Standard text messaging rates apply.

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...#ixzz0ktTaUNJa

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 2:03 PM

Its also about time there was a thread about Montreal on the Quebec board.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 2:45 PM
Look at me!

20 floors not 25?? Blah!!! Well I'll take it anyways but a 40-50 floor glass Toronto-esque tower would be better! Oh yeah right, i'm still in Montreal.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 2:48 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Its also about time there was a thread about Montreal on the Quebec board.
well there's like 4 of us left, and there's about that many projects of interest right now.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
20 floors not 25?? Blah!!! Well I'll take it anyways but a 40-50 floor glass Toronto-esque tower would be better! Oh yeah right, i'm still in Montreal.
What... you're not aware that if a new building exceeds 28 storeys in Montreal it might spontaneously combust showering burning debris on innocent tree hugging bikers below? BTW did you find the 8 episodes of life in lovely Liberia?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 2:32 AM
Look at me!

Was reading the CBC article about the seville project. Not surprisingly I found this comment in the comments section:

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what Montreal needs. More condos for rich folk. Can you smell the gentrification? Look out homeless of Shaughnessy Village! You won't be allowed to liter in those parts anymore!

Why not a shelter?
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...l-seville.html

Really. Its this attitude that is driving me further and further away from my beloved hometown.

If I were in charge that whole neighbourhood would be overhauled from top to bottom. The fighting bums that pissed on my shoes, yelled at me and stank up the atwater metro back when i went to dawson can go find another place to do their wounderful things, like maybe that guy's lawn?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 3:31 AM
The good old days are now

^ Yeah, wouldn't it be nice if we had a paddywagon to round them up, and then we could drop them off elsewhere, say Laval in front of les Residences Soleil or something...

I just don't understand why they love this area in particular? Lots of people to beg from I guess (and numerous abandoned and semi-abandoned buildings to squat in...)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 3:39 AM
Ciao tutti

I'll believe it......... when I see it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 4:20 AM

We have to Keep the faith, 2010, 2011 and 2012 will be interesting considering Altoria (33), Altitude (33), Waldorf (32), Triomphe (22), Evolo (30) M9-3 (20), Seville (20) and Ecocité sur les Bois (27 and 24) as well will break ground and who knows, maybe the Mackay.

Chum, Griffintown, Bassin du Nouveau Havre (under construction) and the 1435 Mackay might come along eventually (2013).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 5:09 AM
Look at me!

I was under the impression the Mackay was dead and buried? That incident left a bitter taste in my mouth, that's for sure.

If Altitude and Altoria both go up, I will cam down, the Altoria itself will change the face of Square Victoria in a way the BNC and Bell towers never could!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 4:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
why not a shelter?
you gotta be fukcing kidding me.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 3:22 PM
Riki beach

This one has been in construction for a while, it can be moved in the U/C section.

Title can be changed to: MONTREAL | LE SÉVILLE | HEIGHT | 7, 11, 11, 20 FLOORS

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 3:28 PM
Riki beach

Latest update from Mtlurb.com, witch is almost 2 months old already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis 22 View Post
Le chantier

http://www.mtlurb.com/forums/showthr...A9tages/page57

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
Look at me!

Great project. Pity the non-Montreal members on this forum cannot appreciate how much good this project will do to the whole area. 20 floors and a bunch of 7 and 11 floor lowrises don't seem much, but they are in this shitty area.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 2:33 AM
Riki beach

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 9:29 PM

UPDATED render

Phase 1

Last edited by Alexcaban; Oct 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 9:39 PM
gettin' rich!

Nice little project!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 10:48 PM

Quite nice, indeed. Great modern design, and I love how the podium meets the street well. I'm a fan of Montreal's nice mid-rise projects going up in this construction boom.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 3:14 AM
Homo Platoregimontis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
I'm a fan of Montreal's nice mid-rise projects going up in this construction boom.
That makes two of us !!! I might add that this part of Ste-Catherine street definitely need some boost ! Here it is !!

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil
or here : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117089

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 1:47 PM

What are the components of the project? Is it all residential/retail or is there come commercial office space in the taller tower?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive