HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:44 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidCity View Post
Sulley or anyone else familiar with hotels, any opinions of new chains "Cambria Suites" (Choice Hotels Group) and "Hyatt Place" ?

The latter apparently has 2 in the Hoover area: http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/place/about/coming-soon.jsp
Cambria is building an inn in Huntsville and later in Mobile
Hyatt Place is planning one in Tuscaloosa.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:54 PM

Yes + Cambria will also build about 1/4 mile from my house. The ground has been cleared. I'm guessing Birmingham will get a few of these, too.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:36 PM

Sulley... I heard about the Radisson hotel in an blog article on Birmingham Weekly.

Here's the story... the bulk of the story is about the Regions renovation, but it mentions the Radisson almost in passing.

http://bhamweekly.com/blog/2007/04/3...ions/#more-186

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 2:13 AM
Trendy.

You know, I think the new hotel at Regions Plaza should have an ornamental spire added to the top of the building.

W Seattle, anyone?

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 12:25 PM

From one of the comments posted in the Birmingham Weekly story:

"The only thing else I know about it right now is that construction should begin soon and that will put two hotels (it’s right across the street from the Doubletree) right there connecting UAB and Five Points South."

I think the hotel being talked about here is the 8-story Residence Inn that's planned for the site across from the DoubleTree. Makes sense; I guess "Radisson" and "Residence" sound alike.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgeorge View Post
From one of the comments posted in the Birmingham Weekly story:

"The only thing else I know about it right now is that construction should begin soon and that will put two hotels (it’s right across the street from the Doubletree) right there connecting UAB and Five Points South."

I think the hotel being talked about here is the 8-story Residence Inn that's planned for the site across from the DoubleTree. Makes sense; I guess "Radisson" and "Residence" sound alike.
I think you may be right, but I was giving the writer the benefit of the doubt assuming they knew the difference between a Radisson and a Residence Inn. In terms of that Residence Inn, I'm wondering what they're waiting on. The site has been cleared and maybe even prepped for some time, but no construction yet that I've seen.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:35 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
You know, I think the new hotel at Regions Plaza should have an ornamental spire added to the top of the building.

W Seattle, anyone?

I second that, Justin...and coincidentally, turning it into a W hotel also crossed my mind when I first heard of the plan to convert the building into a hotel.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre0link View Post
Thanks to a bit of research I had to do, I learned that once-upon-a-time, most of B'hams hotels were constructed on 5th Ave...
The 5th Avenue corridor was a direct reflection of the fact that visitors used to almost always arrive in town via the Terminal Station at 5th and 26th.

Discussion of a large full-service Marriott brings to mind the one on Canal Street in New Orleans. Seems to be a similar scale and situation.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 2:28 AM

The guy planning the entertainment district center around 20th Street downtown is planning to have after-work music events for the next 4 months at 19th Street (more or less in front of the McWane Center). He told me that you should probably soon begin hearing it advertised on the Clear Channel-owned radio stations. More or less, this will be used to advertise the district and get the word out. Don't know any other details besides that at the moment.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 3:17 PM

New cafe to locate in Massey building
Friday, May 04, 2007
DAWN KENT
News staff writer

Continental Bakery plans to open a second area location in downtown Birmingham in a space that will allow customers to watch the process of creating artisanal and European-style breads.

Carole Griffin, owner of the business that has been a staple of English Village for 21 years, is working with brothers and downtown developers Ed and Leo Ticheli to bring the new location to the Massey Lofts on Second Avenue North.

The 2,000-square-foot space will include on-view baking, as well as a cafe aspect, where Griffin expects to serve some menu items found at Chez Lulu, the European-style bistro and neighbor of Continental Bakery that she also owns.

The cafe menu will be a pared-down version of the bistro dishes and expanded deli fare such as sandwiches and other takeout foods.

"Leo and Ed have given me the chance to branch out," Griffin said. "This will give us a chance to have an oven so the customers can see us doing the work. It's really more of an art than a craft. All my bakers have to be extremely skilled. They shepherd a bread from flour to the product."

The Massey Lofts project is in three two-story buildings, the former J.T. Massey Mercantile and Massey's Corral space. It will include 12 lofts, along with home/work units or commercial space on the ground floor.

Lofts in the first building are available and expected to be ready for occupancy by the end of May. Prices range from $179,000 to $225,000.

Griffin plans to open the bakery in August. Catering services will be available, and the cafe plans to take faxed-in orders from downtown businesses in the area for delivery.

Continental Bakery will occupy a space that had previously been slated for a specialty cafe and market with an African flair. The bakery is expected to sell the products of New York-based Caranda Fine Foods, which had been part of the original plan.

The Tichelis expect a local operator such as Continental Bakery to be a big hit with downtown residents and workers.

The Massey Lofts location along Second Avenue North should allow the business to draw customers from the heavy morning drive traffic that uses the street. The lunch hour, after-work traffic and catering services also are expected to draw business for the bakery.

Stephen Coker Architect LLC, Nancy Tran of Beautiful South Real Estate and Julie Gieger of Southpace Properties Inc. also are involved in the Massey Lofts project.

E-mail: dkent@bhamnews.com

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 2:10 PM

It may be in Bessemer, but I felt that either way, whether it be in Birmingham or Bessemer, that this would be a big win for our area. Bessemer, in fact, I consider to be much more a part of Birmingham's urban fabric than most other suburbs out there so if this development was to go to any suburb, Bessemer makes the most sense. Bessemer certainly appears to be being reborn. This is just one more thing to add to all the growth and economic development going on there.

Quote:
U.S. Pipe picks Bessemer
Wednesday, May 09, 2007
RUSSELL HUBBARD News staff writer

U.S. Pipe has chosen Bessemer over Birmingham for a $45 million foundry that will create 100 jobs and employ streamlined manufacturing techniques adapted from the auto and steel industries.

The new plant making water and sewer pipe will be near an existing U.S. Pipe foundry adjacent to Interstate 20/59, company President Ray Torok said. The other site under consideration was at the company's plant in North Birmingham's Collegeville Neighborhood. The new project will have no effect on the continued operation of two existing plants, Torok said.

Construction is expected to start this summer and wrap up in 2008. The project qualified for $6.25 million in tax breaks, site preparation and worker training. Jefferson County approved $3 million in incentives. There is also $2 million available under state laws that encourage industrial expansion. Bessemer chipped in $1.25 million.

"The assistance we have received was critical," Torok said.

Torok said Bessemer won the new foundry because the site occupied by the vacant Williams Bridge building is twice as large as what was available in North Birmingham. That means there will be room to expand the plant.

Birmingham-based U.S. Pipe plans to announce the expansion today at a news conference at the First Avenue North headquarters building. Gov. Bob Riley is expected to attend. Annual pay for the United Steelworkers union jobs will range from $45,000 to $50,000, incentive bonuses included.

A new ductile-iron pipe plant is a rare thing. U.S. Pipe built the last new addition to the national fleet in Union City, Calif., in 1951. The new Bessemer foundry will not bear any resemblance to it. While foundries will always be noisy and hot, U.S. Pipe plans to automate many tasks now done with muscle, streamline handling of raw materials and make extensive use of robots, cranes and assembly lines.

"The people working at our new plant will be more than twice as productive," Torok said. "This plant is revolutionary. There's no way for an existing plant to upgrade fast enough to get where we are going to be."

The Birmingham area is a fitting place for such a thing to happen. The city is the center of the universe when it comes to making iron pipes for sewers and water systems. Birmingham is home to three of the top four companies in the business - U.S. Pipe, McWane and American Cast Iron Pipe Co.

It's a huge business. U.S. Pipe, part of Atlanta-based Mueller Water Products, had 2006 sales of $595 million, and already employs 1,000 people at the two foundries and the headquarters. Foundries melt scrap metal, pour it into molds and spin it at high speeds to create pipes.

"Bessemer is expansion-friendly," Torok said. "We could double output for another modest investment."

The new plant has been in the planning stages for more than two years. Teams are now scouring the globe for the equipment that will produce the pipes, Torok said. An executive search firm has been hired to find the new plant manager.

"We want the best people, and we are ready to pay for them," Torok said. "The only way you survive in manufacturing is by creating an environment where people give their all to the job."

E-mail: rhubbard@bhamnews.com

Quote:
New plant a boon for Bessemer
Would bring millions to rebounding area
Wednesday, May 09, 2007
ROBERT K. GORDON News staff writer

U.S. Pipe's new plant in Bessemer is expected to provide an annual $23.7 million boost to the economy of the rebounding city, according to an economic impact study produced for the company.

"This is very much in line with everything going on in Bessemer," said Myla Choy, a U.S. Pipe lawyer who helped negotiate with the city. "This is one piece of the Bessemer rebirth story."

Birmingham financial advisory firm Porter White & Co. prepared the economic analysis on the new plant, which will be formally announced today. Though not all the figures are broken down in its report, this kind of economic impact survey generally includes factors such as wages, spending by the plant and taxes.

The report says U.S. Pipe, which already operates a plant with 389 workers in Bessemer, will generate $116 million in annual economic impact for the city once the new plant opens.

Bessemer stands to gain $450,000 in building permits and fees alone on the $45 million project to build the new plant in the former Williams Bridge building near the existing U.S. Pipe plant, city officials said.

"This means an increase in the number of jobs and more tax revenue for the city," company President Ray Torok said. "This is a statement of commitment by U.S. Pipe to the Bessemer community. No one is going to wake up one morning and worry that U.S. Pipe is leaving Bessemer, and in this day and age, that is no small gift."

U.S. Pipe's first new plant in 60 years will produce 90,000 to 100,000 tons of 6- to 12-inch pipe annually.

Pipe would be made from steel melted at the existing plant, Torok said.

"This is a great thing for Bessemer," said Bob Robicheaux, a business professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. "There will be the immediate impact of employees buying homes, groceries and gas."

Employees at the new plant stand to earn annual compensation between $45,000 and $50,000.

"The jobs is what I look forward to," said Ronnie Acker, president of the Bessemer Area Chamber of Commerce. "The economy will get another shot in the arm. There is so much going on down here it's hard to keep up with it all."

U.S. Pipe expanding in Bessemer - a city that was added to the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars' dead-cities list in 2002 - is seen as a public relations coup.

"A company with the prestige of U.S. Pipe having trust in Bessemer can help lure other businesses here," Acker said. "Businesses looking to locate in the city or near the city can only have a positive impact on Bessemer, and that's a good thing."

The employees at the new plant will have $7.3 million in yearly spending power, according to the impact study.

"That will help the city do some things that it needs to do," Acker said.

E-mail: rgordon@bhamnews.com

Last edited by Blazer85; May 9, 2007 at 2:19 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 3:22 PM

Bass Pro gets nature park agreement from Leeds; one more hurdle to clear
Posted by Birmingham News staff May 11, 2007 9:38 AM

The Leeds Commercial District Authority approved Friday an agreement with Bass Pro Shops to build next to its planned store a nature park, which is being touted as the only such arrangement in the outdoor retailer's chain.

The total project is expected to go to closing May 24. The final hurdle is set for clearing at 10 a.m. Monday, when the cooperative district, composed of representatives from Leeds, Moody and St. Clair County, will vote on a proposed leasing agreement that would allow Bass Pro Shops to manage and maintain the nature park.

Patrick Hickerson

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 8:16 PM

BJCC set to court tenants
Las Vegas convention will be starting point for retail deals
Sunday, May 13, 2007
ROY L. WILLIAMS News staff writer

Officials from Birmingham's convention complex and a Memphis company tapped to build a downtown entertainment district are preparing to begin a major push for tenants for the $25 million development.

First up: a trip to the International Council of Shopping Centers' spring convention, to be held in Las Vegas on May 20-23. The annual match-making event for property owners and tenants held in the gambling mecca since 1976 has been the starting point for one-fourth of all retail deals signed in the country, according to the organizers.

"It is a huge deal. Practically anyone dealing with retail development today attends this conference: retailers, site selectors, public officials," Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex Executive Director Jack Fields said.

Fields will attend the convention with representatives of Memphis-based Performa Entertainment Real Estate, which landed a contract to develop a zone of shops, clubs and restaurants adjacent to the BJCC's complex.

Performa CEO John Elkington said he has already arranged 30 meetings with retailers, real estate brokers and bankers he hopes will participate in the BJCC district. Elkington said he plans to set up more interviews at the convention, where his firm will have a booth.

Performa, whose firm handled the redevelopment of Beale Street in its hometown, has found tenants for other projects at International Council of Shopping Center meetings, Elkington said.

"Hopefully, we will come out of this event with at least 40 percent pre-leased," he said. "This convention is the place to be for anyone wanting to do retail projects."

Patrice Duker, spokeswoman for the International Council of Shopping Centers, said 50,000 attendees have signed up for the conference, which will take up 2 million square feet of the Las Vegas Convention Center.

Fields said the event represents "the coming out party" in terms of efforts to promote the BJCC entertainment district and proposed expansion of its convention complex.

Originally, Performa planned to invest $55 million in the Birmingham project, but the contract it signed with the BJCC last month calls for a minimum investment of $25 million. Elkington said the project will expand if there is enough interest.

"We will meet with a lot of lenders," he said. "We are on a fast track to get this project off the ground."

Elkington said he knows "there are people in Birmingham who don't want us to succeed," referring to criticism of a Performa project in Shreveport that didn't pan out and a Jackson, Miss., entertainment district that is running behind schedule.

"There is a lot of interest in our Birmingham project," said Elkington, adding he met Tuesday in Memphis with a broker representing a group considering opening a steak house in Birmingham.

Current Beale Street tenants such as the operators of the Rum Boogie Cafe, The Pig Barbecue and Wet Willie Daiquiri bar have said they are interested in the Birmingham district.

E-mail: rwilliams@bhamnews.com

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 8:24 PM

Decision time looms for arena
The clock is ticking on whether to carry out a $429 million expansion of the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex.
Sunday, May 13, 2007
STAN DIEL News staff writer

With just four weeks left for the Legislature to knock down the biggest remaining obstacle to an expansion of the BJCC, proponents say that for the first time they have the support of big players in the business community.

Business leaders who had not taken a public position on the proposal to build a half-billion-dollar, 40,000-seat arena say a downsizing of the original plan and a presentation at a meeting last week has won their support. Among those who say they are sold on the idea are Alabama Power Co. Chief Executive Charles McCrary and Regions Financial Corp. President C. Dowd Ritter.

"I, for one, think it's a great idea," Ritter said.

The Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex earlier had pitched a much larger expansion, including a 65,000-seat arena. That proposal and variations of it encountered public opposition and quickly fell out of favor with some city and county officials.

In 1998, voters rejected a plan to enact a 1 cent sales tax and use some of the proceeds to build a domed stadium.

But at a meeting of the Birmingham Business Leadership Council on Wednesday, BJCC Executive Director Jack Fields and a consultant from a sports architecture firm made a case for the smaller, 40,000-seat arena that would cost about $429 million, including other improvements to the BJCC.

Now that Birmingham is unlikely to win an NFL franchise, they said, the BJCC has realistic hopes of landing only one event a year that would need more space - the Magic City Classic football game.

Getting the go-ahead:

McCrary said he is among those who had serious reservations about the proposal to build an NFL-sized facility, but is now convinced the city needs the smaller arena.

"The BJCC is tired, and I think it's time for the city of Birmingham to put on a new set of clothes," he said. "I think it's important for Birmingham to be able to compete."

For the facility to be built, the BJCC needs the support of both the Birmingham City Council and the Jefferson County Commission. Efforts to reach council members, some of whom have said they will support only an arena designed with later expansion in mind, were unsuccessful. But Fields said the council, which contributes $8.8 million a year to the BJCC's budget, supports the current plan.

Bettye Fine Collins, president of the County Commission, said the support of that body hinges on legislation in Montgomery that would ensure the county's ability to continue collecting a half-percent occupational tax. The tax generates $60 million a year for the county, $10 million of which goes to the BJCC. Without that $10 million in guaranteed income, the BJCC's bankers won't sign off on the $495 million bond issue that would finance arena construction, Fields said.

About the occupational tax:

The future of the county occupational tax is in question, however, because of a series of events that began with its repeal by the Legislature in 1999. After the tax was repealed, a court ruled that the law repealing it was unconstitutional, saying not enough state legislators voted for it under a procedure in which only local lawmakers voted. Under the Alabama Constitution, many local matters come before the entire Legislature.

A state Supreme Court ruling in an unrelated case later upheld the method of voting, and the tax continued to be collected. Some taxpayers demanded refunds, however, and on Friday formalized their argument by filing suit in Circuit Court. The suit, which seeks class-action status, argues that the state should have stopped collecting the tax after the 1999 repeal, and seeks refunds for taxpayers.

A bill before the Legislature would rewrite the law that created the tax, presumably bringing the legal fisticuffs to an end and ensuring continued collection of the tax. Two bills introduced by state Rep. Arthur Payne, R-Birmingham, have not reached committee. There's no guarantee the Legislature will consider the proposals in the four weeks before the session ends.

Sen. Jabo Waggoner, R-Vestavia Hills, said if the House acts on an occupational tax bill, he is confident it would pass in the Senate.

"I think it would be totally irresponsible for the Legislature not to revalidate the occupational tax. We would bankrupt the county. You're talking between $400-$600 million," he said.

"Everybody in Alabama knows I'm for the project , but the occupational tax bill has to originate in the House and that has not happened."

The plan does not have the endorsement of Rep. John Rogers, D-Birmingham, co-chairman of the county legislative delegation. Rogers said building anything less than the larger dome would be unfair.

"If Charles McCrary or the Business Council wants to build a 40,000-seat stadium, let them put the money up. I will not participate in it," Rogers said.

Payne, also co-chairman of the county delegation, said the occupational tax bills may not pass in this session because of problems in the Senate.

"I don't think they will be able to pass any local bills," Payne said. "Something has to be worked out in the Senate before any local bills can be passed."

If the occupational tax bill passes the Legislature and both the City Council and County Commission endorse the plan, the BJCC would sell $495 million in bonds, according to materials the BJCC released at last week's presentation to business leaders. The BJCC would earn an additional $37 million in interest on the revenue from the bond sale while construction is under way.

Where money would go:

Construction of the arena, with a price of $380 million, would consume most of the revenue from the bonds. Other expenditures related to the project would include $12 million on other improvements to the convention complex, $10 million on parking improvements, $17 million on property acquisition - mostly for new parking lots - and $10 million on street work.

More than $75 million in revenue from the bonds would be used to pay off two previous bond issues, which were done in 2002 and 2005.

The problem with the existing facility, Fields said, is not just that there's not enough room to host bigger events. It's that managers must often turn away events it is big enough to host because it sometimes takes a week to set up or take down an event. If the BJCC is occupied by workers taking apart last week's convention, they can't set up this week's event, he said.

With the addition of a new arena, the BJCC could host more events, and host more events simultaneously.

Another strike against the existing arena, which would still be used if a new arena were built nearby, is a lack of private suites, Fields said. Plans for the new facility, developed by international sports architecture firm HOK Sports, include luxury suites.

A new arena, which would be big enough to host football and soccer games, also would host traditional conventions. The lights, near the ceiling for sports, would be lowered, leaving the arena's upper seats in darkness for conventions.

"This truly is a multipurpose facility," Fields said.

Who would use it?:

A 40,000-seat arena also would mean a larger universe of events that would consider Birmingham. A list of possible events circulated by the BJCC includes the Papajohns.com bowl game, the SWAC Championship football game and UAB football games. Efforts to reach UAB athletics department officials for comment were unsuccessful.

Such an arena probably would be sufficient to host the NCAA basketball Final Four, Fields said, but the city likely would not host that event because it has an insufficient number of hotel rooms. Earlier rounds of the tournament probably could be played in the expanded BJCC, he said.

News staff writer Barnett Wright contributed to this report. sdiel@bhamnews.com

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:00 AM

Green touch for skyline
The new Social Security building is being crafted to embrace the environment with everything from a `green roof' to energy-efficient features.
Sunday, May 13, 2007
DAWN KENT News staff writer

Passersby who look around the unfinished Social Security Administration building in downtown Birmingham notice a color palette typical of most construction sites: brown dirt, gray concrete, dusty red brick.

But officials of Tampa-based Opus South Corp. have a different view of the $100 million, eight-story project taking shape at Eighth Avenue and 14th Street North.

All they see is green.

The SSA building is aiming for a silver certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Green Building Rating System, a nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high-performance green buildings.

While the building's expected completion date - Jan. 31, 2008 - is still more than eight months away, LEED features already are evident, such as the groundwork for a rooftop garden that will be a first for Birmingham and the largest among government buildings in the Southeast.

The "green roof" will consist of up to 85,000 square feet of drought-tolerant vegetation planted in a four- to six-inch layer of soil, a technique that reduces heat absorbed by a building and slows the flow of runoff into storm water systems.

In addition to the green roof, other environmentally friendly and energy-efficient features are being installed at the building, which is within sight of Interstates 65 and 59/20, Alabama's busiest intersection.

"Certainly the visibility of the project and the example that the project can have to hopefully inspire others to do similar things is, I think, immeasurable," said Terry Helland, architecture director for Opus Architects and Engineers. "We only have one environment, and it's about providing a great place for our kids to grow up in the future and giving them an environment that's going to be healthy and safe."

Besides environmental benefits, Helland predicts the SSA building will bring economic benefits to the surrounding Fountain Heights neighborhood.

"When you bring that many employees into a location like that, restaurants and businesses are going to want to populate the area around there," he said.

The building will include more than 587,000 square feet of office space for about 1,800 employees initially, although there will be room to accommodate up to 2,200 under the SSA's 20-year growth plan.

On the ground floor, a Main Street promenade that bisects the building will be flanked by a cafeteria, dining area, day care, sundry shop and two credit unions - all services for employees.

The green roof will stretch across the graduated levels of the second and third stories, which jut out below a tower of upper floors. Once the gardens are planted, the view will be a band of green wrapping around the building.

Using the lower floors instead of the top floor was mainly an aesthetic decision, said Keith Hornsby, senior project manager for Opus. At that level, the green roof is visible from the street and the upper offices, and it helps the building blend better into the neighborhood, he said.

The roof's plantings are expected to be a mix of greenery and blooms that will grow no higher than a foot. A blend of specimens will ensure that a portion of the roof is always in season.

Last week, workers were installing a material that will be the base of the green roof. Planting is expected to begin in the fall.

Most of the building's interior is designed with an open floor plan and plenty of windows. As a result, most employees' desks will be no more than 40 to 50 feet away from a window.

Other green design features are aimed at improving the reach of daylight throughout the building, since studies show natural light increases employee productivity and decreases absenteeism.

Even the building's siting is aimed at capturing the most natural light. Instead of being squared with the street, the building's layout is twisted slightly.

That orientation also allows the building's main entrance and front windows extending up the office tower to look across Birmingham's Civil Rights District toward the city's financial district skyline.

Mimics terrain:

Another design element that pays homage to Birmingham's roots is the roof that runs along the Main Street promenade. It has an up-and-down zig-zag pattern, meant to mimic the mountainous terrain around the city.

The building also will feature state-of-the-art security measures, including windows, berms and foundations designed to withstand bomb blasts. New security measures that are a hallmark of new federal buildings are results of lessons learned from the 1995 bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma City and the 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.

Opus South is an independent operating company of Minneapolis-based Opus Corp.

Opus is no stranger to green projects, said William Valentine, real estate manager for the developer. Opus recently completed an office for the Environmental Protection Agency in Denver that has many of the same features as the SSA building.

Founded in 1953, the family-owned company has more than 35 million square feet of projects planned or under development across the country. To date, Opus has completed 2,300 projects totaling 227 million square feet.

Opus' other LEED projects include government buildings in Arizona and Colorado, an office building in Wisconsin and an industrial building in Oregon.

In downtown Birmingham, other high-profile projects that are aiming for LEED certification include the redevelopment of the former Federal Reserve property and a new luxury hotel at the site of the former Regions Financial Corp. headquarters.

Paul D. Barnes, regional commissioner for the SSA's Southeast region, said SSA employees serve the public, and their new work place will do the same.

"By being in a green building, it helps us serve the community as a whole, cutting down on energy consumption and energy costs and impact on the environment," he said.

E-mail: dkent@bhamnews.com

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:20 PM

That will be an interesting trip. I wonder do who they are thinking of recruiting to the District by going to a major retail convention such as the ICSC.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 6:54 PM

I know opinion is always mixed on the dome topic, but from the first time it was mentioned I've always thought we should pursue something more of the midsized-arena variety like 'The Dome' proposal now sits at. An arena this size fits the stature of the city and the type of events we could/should support. Forget the Iron Bowl ever coming back (much as I'd love to see it rotate to B'ham every 3rd year) and forget the NFL. It's not going to happen either. But for the type events we're likely to attract (NCAA regionals, minor bowl games, SWAC/UAB football, soccer exhibitions, wrestling, motocross/truck events, etc.) a nice arena in the 40-50k seat range seems to hit the sweet spot.

Another thing that rarely seems to be mentioned as possible events that could be booked in the new arena is concerts. As it is right now, Birmingham often gets overlooked for a lot of larger concert tours because we don't have an arena up to snuff (and if you've ever been to a concert at the BJCC you know it has some of the worst acoustics in the world on top of all that.) An arena this size would hopefully help us regularly land shows from larger concert tours that typically bypass Birmingham to play at larger venues in Memphis, Nashville and Atlanta. And the volume of concerts is only going to increase over the coming decade as the music industry has to put more reliance on live performances.

As for the downtown entertainment district near the BJCC one tenant they need to do EVERYTHING possible to land (sell your soul if you have to - but get them) is Dave & Busters - or any similar style company I'm not familiar with. It would be an ideal anchor for what they're seeking to develop.

Last edited by Grogck; May 14, 2007 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 7:09 PM
Midtown Montgomery

There has been some Dave & Busters talk for Downtown Montgomery as well, would be a hit in either city......

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 7:11 PM

No NFL?

Heard over the weekend on the NFL Network (and on Sirius satellite) that the league is wanting to expand by 2 teams soon. Obviously SoCal is the first choice, but in a few conversations, commentators there said Birmingham should be one of 8 cities looked at for expansion.

Whatever your opinion about the NFL and whether it would work in Birmingham, you have to take that seriously when people keep mentioning your city as a candidate for expansion. It was the same case in 1992 when the NFL came calling and city officials didn't want to pony up the money for a feasibility study. Charlotte and Jacksonville had no problem doing that. Each city didn't even have a stadium built at that point. In 1972, Birmingham was looked at and, according to the former Mayor George Siebels, was chosen as the second expansion franchise with Seattle. When NFL officials found out that Legion Field had been rented that fall for the fledgling WFL (World Football League), they pulled the plug and gave the team to Tampa Bay.

Yeah, I know, living in the past...

But anyone who says the NFL wouldn't work because Birmingham has had professional football teams before need only look at those leagues and owners. The NFL is a big deal (and enormously successful) and studies have shown that Birmingham's market is big enough to support it. Green Bay, Jacksonville, Buffalo and the New Orleans television markets are smaller.

I'm curious to see how the city handles it this time.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 7:34 PM
Midtown Montgomery

NFL in Birmingham would be awesome, and a big leap for the city into the spotlight IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast