HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 9:48 PM

Good to hear. I'm curious as to when it will be effective as the draft of bylaw 10C2009 thats attached to the agenda for the council meeting states June 1st is when the bylaw comes into effect, but I can't see it actually happening that soon as most of the improvements to the other roads aren't done (or even started) yet.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 9:55 PM
Home of Hyperchange

No kidding. They've just *started* much of the work, and it's not exactly going very fast.

Oh, allow me to digress at the sheer stupidity of blocking off major portions of sidewalks next to MAJOR roads, forcing pedestrians to walk literally right next to traffic - and leaving it like that for weeks. The one pedestrian-friendly place in Royal Oak (and yes, I use the term very loosely) and the city has managed to make it a complete nightmare. How long does it take to pour a new bloody sidewalk?

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 12:43 AM

Took a run through Rocky Ridge tonight, and I didn't see any work started yet at all. Only construction I saw was the ongoing work on Rocky Ridge Crescent.

Global also mentioned that council only gave 1st and 2nd reading to the closure bylaw, so one more to go (fortunately 3rd is really just a technicality)

Last edited by mersar; May 26, 2009 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 4:36 AM

Someone mentioned something earlier today about the trees they are removing along 10th by SAIT, heres what the SAIT masterplan shows the east side access will be (planned for by 2015):

Exactly what part will be done when the parkade opens is something I'm not sure, based on what I've seen and what is visible on Google Earth Carpenter way will be the main access and it looks to be mostly build to where it forks, likely they've been using it for construction access. The bridge and loop road over 10th are outlined as urgently needed in the master plan to shift traffic out of the core of the campus and the 16th avenue entrances specifically, so they may be done, at a minimum I'd expect the ramp from SB 10th to be done.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 5:01 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Stang;4268867]I'm feeling like a breaking news agency today... not busy enough at work I guess.

CFCN.ca is reporting that the closure of Rocky Ridge Road will go ahead.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

While some homeowners will not be happy, this literally clears the way for the interchange at Stoney and Crowchild (or at least prevents further delays).[/

Thank Heavens. I guess the kids of RO/RR will have to be extra careful now.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 6:15 AM

Memorial Drive streetscape improvement project:

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 2:17 PM
Construction Enthusiast

I was at city hall yesterday, driving on 3rd street to get there. They have placed a temporary lane reversal on 3rd, so that 3 lanes head north, and only 1 heads south. I at first wondered, since all the temporary signage was in place, whether this was just a temporary change while Langevin Bridge is closed again, but then I noticed that the yellow and white lanes had been repainted to match the temporary change. Anyone know if that it a permanent change?

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 4:39 AM

Someone had mentioned they hoped this road closure will end soon, looks like it will:

Quote:
On Friday, May 29, Spiller Road S.E. between 24 Avenue and 25 Avenue S.E. will re-open to traffic in the early afternoon. On September 17, 2008 it was closed for a major bridge construction project.
source

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 5:30 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Sarcee Road SW has been closed recently for the installaton of new water and sewer connections to the CFB West developments. Sarcee Rd itself was a substandard road in this section anyway.

Here's a bonus shot from Glenmore Trail.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 4:33 PM

^^^^ What time of day was the Glenmore picture taken? I find it's usually only really packed like that in one direction.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:05 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
The shadows on the cars are very small and are pretty much directly north of the vehicles. I would guess it would be mid day.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 7:02 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Glenmore gets like that every Saturday.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 7:24 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRev View Post
^^^^ What time of day was the Glenmore picture taken? I find it's usually only really packed like that in one direction.
2:55pm on Thursday.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 7:49 PM

Well this could be fun if the damage is as severe as they're making it out on the radio:

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE
-----------------------------------------------------------------

On Saturday, May 30, 2009 at approximately 0925 hours a single vehicle collision occurred on the Centre Street lower bridge. A moving truck became stuck as it travelled south bound across the lower bridge which caused electrical and possible structural damage to the bridge. Until further notice access to the Centre Street lower bridge will be closed as city crews assess and repair the damage.

Motorists are to observe all traffic controls advising of the Centre Street lower bridge closure.
The radio stations are making it sound like theres actually some pretty serious damage that the city thinks may take a few days to repair

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 11:14 PM

This isn't really about a Calgary road, but it's very close.

I've been working at a construction site in Airdrie, and yesterday, sometime around mid-morning, a truck/crane travelling southbound on the QE2 hit the bridge near Balzac, apparently tearing out quite a large amount of concrete and exposing the rebar. I didn't see it in person, so I'm not sure how bad the damage was, nor am I sure what vehicle actually hit it. Some people had said it was a mobile crane, others said it was a truck with a crane on it, or it even could have been a flatbed with a backhoe for all I know.

The southbound lanes were closed for the rest of the day and traffic was diverted up the off ramp on the west side of the bridge and back down the ramp to continue south. Traffic was backed up all the way through Airdrie, and I'm not sure how much further north, but I imagine quite a ways.

We were allowed to leave early so I decided to take the scenic route through Symons Valley to get home. When I got back into Calgary and began to merge from Beddington onto Deerfoot, I found Deerfoot to be incredibly clogged. I had thought the road would be rather empty considering it was down to one lane up and over an interchange just a few miles north of me, however when I turned on the radio, I heard that southbound QE2 had just been reopened a few moments before. Apparently just long enough for the clog to get ahead of me.

And yes, I live downtown and currently work in Airdrie. How's that for bucking the trend?

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 1:28 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 1:54 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Are you working on the Yankee Valley/Highway 2 interchange?

That's pretty crazy about the Highway 566 overpass. Not good route planning. Last summer someone tried to transport a huge drum on a flatbed truck through the town of Crossfield, but they hit some overhead powerlines and cut power out for like half the town. A couple summers ago, someone got a building that was being transported stuck on a bridge that was too narrow on TWP road 254 and pretty much ruined the bridge.
And of course there was the truck that took out the pedestrian bridge over Crowchild just south of 50th a few years ago as well.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 2:37 AM

And the pedestrian bridge over 14th that actually forced removing the span and replacing it. And a couple incidents with the +15's downtown as well in the past little while. Pretty much sums up that people don't pay attention.

They showed the truck involved in the Centre Street bridge incident on the news tonight, it was a small UHaul truck so I doubt the person even knew the height of the truck so they probably didn't even pay attention to the sign thinking they were fine.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 5:11 AM
Home of Hyperchange

That's just plain stupid and the person should lose their license for not being able to follow simple road signs.

Every U-haul truck has its height quite clearly marked on decals that are printed in reverse, so you see it in your side mirrors. If you're actually using your mirrors, that is. And I'm damned sure the bridge has height limit signs.

It's sad that people can't take those extra 5 seconds of thinking required when you're operating a substantially different piece of equipment. It does make me realize that all those silly overblown safety checklists that I see in the field really are required, because there simply are that many reckless people out there.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 6:08 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Well this could be fun if the damage is as severe as they're making it out on the radio:

The radio stations are making it sound like theres actually some pretty serious damage that the city thinks may take a few days to repair
I just drove the lower c street bridge, so it's obviously ok.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure