HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 7:13 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
nice. You must really like the concrete behemouths of the TD-trust towers.
Thanks! And ya, the TD Towers just have this awesome big city vibe going on! I actually might prefer them to the 2 Talbot Centre towers, which are just a little too much like something from a suburban office park for my liking.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 1:58 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Thanks! And ya, the TD Towers just have this awesome big city vibe going on! I actually might prefer them to the 2 Talbot Centre towers, which are just a little too much like something from a suburban office park for my liking.
The taller TD tower looks ok, it's the shorter one that's ugly. It curves near the top and has a ton of antennae that make it appear as tall as the other.

Back in the day they were the corporate HQ for Canada Trust... today it's just another bank tower.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 2:23 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
The taller TD tower looks ok, it's the shorter one that's ugly. It curves near the top and has a ton of antennae that make it appear as tall as the other.
Ya, that's true. I don't know why they changed the top part of the shorter tower. How hard is it to build an exact copy of the other tower, only shorter?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Ya, that's true. I don't know why they changed the top part of the shorter tower. How hard is it to build an exact copy of the other tower, only shorter?
The upper portion if the larger tower is a mechanical room. The smaller tower has no need for such, as it's mechanical facilities on the 3rd floor are sufficient. Interestingly, a lot of the mechanical space in the facility is empty now, since it switched over to a district heating and cooling system some years ago.

Secondly, why build an exact copy? Why not break it up a little bit?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 8:37 PM

Yeah, personally I like the differences between the two towers. If they were the same, the London skyline wouldn't be as diverse.

As usual, snark has enlightened us with his wealth of knowledge about London and its buildings. Thanks again!

Last edited by manny_santos; Jun 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 6:07 AM

I've always liked the TD towers more than LP.
It's the other residendial concrete monsters in the last 10 years I don't like but the Renn isn't too bad.
Question.........seeing Renn2 is going to be a good chunk condo will the outside have a nicer finish or just be a twin?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 6:15 AM

Everything points it to being an exact twin. But hey, we can always hope, eh?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 7:03 AM
bro

Smile

Just moved downtown and here's the view from my bedroom window:

(click to enlarge)

Last edited by bolognium; Jun 15, 2011 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 1:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^did you do all that grafitti?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 2:10 AM

Not my picture but just a sinkhole at Oxford and Richmond:

http://yfrog.com/ki1dfzj

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 2:39 PM
User Registered

Found two cool pics on Flickr:

light across the river by davidfraser59, on Flickr

London airport 2 by davidfraser59, on Flickr

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 1:26 AM
The Vomit Bag.

The Wrath of Liver & Onions
http://cl.ly/0W0a0l2J012e2j2h4507
my photo

Last edited by MolsonExport; Jul 15, 2011 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 3:25 PM
User Registered

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 4:21 PM

Awesome shot! You should sent that to Anews or weather network, sums up the weather situation.

As much as I like the heat it's too much lately. Just glad I work in an air-conditioner office

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 6:56 AM
bro

Smile

Dunno how many of you guys heard, but Snoop Dogg was in town and performed at the London Music Hall last month. It was actually a pretty wild night since the concert happened to coincide with Nuit Blanche and the first car-free weekend of the summer. Nuit Blanche was a neat event where street performers and vendors dotted Dundas, and a bunch of stores, art galleries, venues, etc. were open until 3am. My friends and I ended up watching a "musical blacksmith group" do their thing on the street in front of the JLC. They had a little furnace set up and were basically forging iron to a beat and creating music with their hammer strikes.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures of the concert I took from my roof top. The brown blob in the 4th picture is Snoop-Snoop:

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 12:40 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

London's awesome. I was wondering if I could have a pic of the Harriston. If anyone has it, I'd like to draw it and add it to the London diagram.

I visit London once every summer for family, and am amazed at how awesome London is everytime. I know it's a regional city, unlike my own -- Hamilton which has lost regional significance since being engulfed into the GTA, now called the GTHA. London has a nice skyline, and it's been changed lately with some decent res buildings. Anyway, let me know, I've been searching and can't find a good reference pic to draw from. I esp want the elevation that shows the distinct older looking ground floors. Last summer I saw it u/c and thought that is a nice condo in a great spot. Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 1:44 AM

I used to live in the Harriston, it's still functioning as an apartment building but some residents were of the belief that it would one day convert to condos. Here are a few pics:

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 8:56 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
London's awesome. I was wondering if I could have a pic of the Harriston. If anyone has it, I'd like to draw it and add it to the London diagram.
That's awesome that you have taken an interest in London's skyscrapers and are willing to add some to the diagram!

If possible, it would be amazing if you could add the Crown on King (also called Old East I and II), a new residential development. I believe the taller tower of the 2 is under construction, despite what the city page says. The taller tower is 24 storys, and the other is 21. I'm not sure about the specific height though.

http://www.londontopic.ca/article.php?artid=8488

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
If you feel ambitious, try both. Feel free to use these as a reference.

The Harriston is very slightly taller that the Talbot Centre towers.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 8:17 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

^That's a good reference for the Harriston, but both Renaissance towers are already in the London diagram (just sayin!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos