HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Sort of...
What do you mean "Sort of..." it was April 27th, 2006 check it out man. I know work didn't get started until later in the year but they broke ground on that day.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thib View Post
Why the north core is it so long to climb?

PS: I'm new in this forum, so be cool! LOL
Because there are trains that go under it so they can't work on the North Core at all times.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
http://sev.prnewswire.com/constructi...7042009-1.html

Concord Steel Awarded With ThyssenKrupp Elevator Contract to Supply 800,000 Pounds of Elevator Counterweights for One World Trade Center in New York City

WARREN, Ohio, April 27

Concord Steel, Inc., the leading independent manufacturer and supplier of custom fabricated steel counterweights, was awarded a contract to provide steel counterweights for all 71 elevators being installed by ThyssenKrupp Elevator in the Freedom Tower, at One World Trade Center, in New York City. The 800,000 pound order is one of the largest single orders for elevator counterweights in Concord Steel's history.

"We are proud to be a partner in this historic One World Trade Center Project," said Paul Vesey, President of Concord Steel. "We will draw upon the Company's 85 years of experience to provide these special and unique counterweights." Vesey also said, "Concord Steel was selected for this monumental project based on our competitive response, our industry leading capacity and our unmatched ability to service the metro New York City market."

Patrick Chesterton, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Concord Steel commented, "The Concord Team is well-equipped to handle this contract. We will manufacture this order from our plants located in Chicago Heights, Illinois, Warren, Ohio and Essington, Pennsylvania."

One World Trade Center is the main building of the new World Trade Center complex under construction located in Lower Manhattan in New York City. The tower will soar to 1,776 feet in the sky and serve as an inspirational and enduring beacon in the New York City skyline. It will be located in the northwest corner of the 16-acre World Trade Center site. Work on the tower, began in April, 2006 and is expected to be completed sometime in 2013.
It's cool to have a guy with the last name "Vesey" working on this project. I wonder if he realizes that significance. =P

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 10:44 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
I think we all should bitch slap Libeskind. He's the one that almost fucked this whole thing up in the first place.
How do you figure that? He came up with a site plan that, really, is just one of the ones originally tossed about by BBB, way back when... only thing he added was an obligatory space for a memorial and the idea that the towers should get progressively taller.

I don't see what his site plan has to do with the PA's reluctance to rebuild the WTC.

What's needed is some political will to see this thing get built: can't the freaking Feds counterfeit a few billion more dollars just for this project??

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_200 View Post
Because there are trains that go under it so they can't work on the North Core at all times.
Work should progress on the North Core more rapidly beginning in June. That is when the tracks that run underneath the North Core will be closed on Saturday's and, I believe....Sunday as well??

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 11:55 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37TimPPG View Post
Work should progress on the North Core more rapidly beginning in June. That is when the tracks that run underneath the North Core will be closed on Saturday's and, I believe....Sunday as well??
There are no lines or trains that run under either of the cores, they run AROUND one of them (the north core).

I know there is a PATH line that will continue to go through the edge of the former tower 2 foot print as it did around the core of the former tower 2.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 12:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
What do you mean "Sort of..." it was April 27th, 2006 check it out man.
That was more of a "ceromonial" start. Don't worry, I've been checking it out.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 12:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
There are no lines or trains that run under either of the cores, they run AROUND one of them (the north core).
Right. But nonetheless, the track runs just above the north core, which has slowed the PA's work there. They will stop PATH service on weekends starting sometime in June, and the PA has said work will pick up then.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 1:35 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Right. But nonetheless, the track runs just above the north core, which has slowed the PA's work there. They will stop PATH service on weekends starting sometime in June, and the PA has said work will pick up then.
What do you mean by above? I'm confused... Is there a diagram or blueprint I can check out?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 2:22 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
What do you mean by above? I'm confused... Is there a diagram or blueprint I can check out?
By 'above', NYguy meant 'north of' the north core. The tracks run within the footprint of the tower but outside the footprint of the core.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 11:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
By 'above', NYguy meant 'north of' the north core. The tracks run within the footprint of the tower but outside the footprint of the core.
Correct.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 12:18 PM
New Yorker for life

A few more from April 24th...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:18 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Thanks for clearing that up!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 5:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 5:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 5:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Update from morrongiello (April 29)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 2:54 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

what is that other square hole on the upper part of the memorial?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
That's the second memorial. You see, towers 1 and 2 were very close together.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmandan View Post
That's the second memorial. You see, towers 1 and 2 were very close together.
I think he was asking what the hole that was directly next to the north footprint was, and to answer his question, I am pretty sure it is being used to lower large memorial items into place in the levels below

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
i would imagine that was the entrance to the underground part of the memorial

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive