HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
yeah, that's the one I've been to and I've been fairly impressed so far.
They had a bit of a shaky start, but they really seem to be firing on all cylinders now. I'm actually pretty impressed at the speed and quality considering the number of people in there after work on a Thursday or Friday.

Anyone know what the weekend crowd is like? I've only every gone after work.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I'm iffy when it comes to 3 Brewers. The one in Barrhaven was good, but didn't enjoy my time at the one on Ste. Catherine in Montreal.
Did you mean the one in Kanata Centrum? There is no 3 Brewers in Barrhaven that I am aware of.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars View Post
Anyone here been to Angelucci's in Barrhaven yet? Their patio looks very inviting on warm summer nights like last night.
I live a few minutes (driving) from this place and as much as I want to support local businesses, the Urbanspoon reviews (and I understand to take them with a grain of salt) don't exactly entice me to visit this place anytime soon.

Maybe they will improve over time as they just opened not too long ago. They should draw some traffic from Riverside South now that the bridge is done. Let's see what happens in a few months.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/250/1824...eluccis-Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 7:38 PM

From the Bells Corners blog, it looks like East India Company will open where Al's Steak House used to be. I have never been to Al's but have heard good reviews with prices on the higher side.

This will make at least 5 Indian restaurants in Bells Corners (the others that come to mind are: Tandoori Fusion, Golden Tiffin, Ishina, and Urban Tandoori taking over the former space of Haveli's. Guess we will see if there's enough demand.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:27 AM

I caught a glimpse of this new place on Somerset driving by the other day and will have to try it soon as this is one of the very few ramen restaurants in town

Very positive reviews on both UrbanSpoon and Yelp. If anyone has been here, please chime in with your feedback!

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/250/1847...a-Ramen-Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:58 PM
R2-D2's army of death

might check it out today...
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
might check it out today...
I had the spicy ramen earlier tonight and it was tasty. Small place so it filled up fairly quickly! Quite attentive service so I left a good tip.

My only beef is it's a little bit pricey, for ramen. Taxes and tips came to just a shade over for $40 for the 2 of us (We did have 1 plate of appetizer and a green tea). Compare this with Pho where you can have XL bowl for $25 for 2. Add some springrolls and it's still $30 tops.

I think it will do well, good location and lots of people love ramen/noodle. Not too many of these shops around so not much competition

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 1:13 AM
Living With My Mother

There's a Chinese place on Innes Road, just across from Builder's Warehouse called Charlie Chan's.

I've been eating at Chan's since 1982, when they were across from St.Laurent.

They have the absolute best chicken balls in town. Their egg rolls are only bested by Golden Palace and their chicken fried rice is a family favorite.

But it is take-out only. Many times I make the 85 km round trip. It's that worth it to me.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 2:30 AM

Richmond Bakery is closed

I did not come here very often but still remember the doughnuts colleagues brought in. They were quite a treat.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 4:46 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Richmond Bakery is closed

I did not come here very often but still remember the doughnuts colleagues brought in. They were quite a treat.
That's sad. They had the best yeast raised doughnuts in town.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
That's sad. They had the best yeast raised doughnuts in town.
I heard the owner cited rising property taxes, energy bills and inability to find skilled bakers as reasons for closing.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 11:15 AM

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 7:10 PM

Just found out Skirt Steak in Kanata is closed, apparently late on rent. I have never been there but the Internet reviews are not very kind.

I think they only lasted a few months. Cut-throat business.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 12:08 AM

We have a $25 gift card for Hintonburg Public House so we decided to try it out tonight for dinner. Pretty hip place with rustic furniture and decor. I had the fish & chip, the wife had the stuffed peppers and I ordered the Ploughman's plate for apps.

We ran into a couple of friends and the husband got the burger while the wife got the Sloppy Joe's. Everyone enjoyed their meal although the Sloppy Joe's was too salty or so I was told. Service was quick and attentive and all in all it was a great dinner considering we only had to pay a portion and it was nice chatting with friends.

We then went to Suzy Q to pick up some doughnuts but the store was near closing time and they didn't have many left so we walked away empty-handed. Maybe next time...

I also noticed Isobel's Cupcakes and Cookies is now closed, the windows are all boarded up...I think I stopped by here once last fall and had a pretty good cookie...wow if they can't survive in hipster-central Hintonburg then it could be tough elsewhere for cupcake stores.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 3:16 AM
R2-D2's army of death

So I tried an El Camino taco last night, and it's amazing.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post

I also noticed Isobel's Cupcakes and Cookies is now closed, the windows are all boarded up...I think I stopped by here once last fall and had a pretty good cookie...wow if they can't survive in hipster-central Hintonburg then it could be tough elsewhere for cupcake stores.
Cupcakes are passé. Muffins are back.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 1:29 PM

Quote:
So I tried an El Camino taco last night, and it's amazing.
I agree. Probably the best taco I've had in this city. Went there for lunch back in June and although the lineup was quite long and I waited for what seemed like forever, it was well worth it in the end.

* I believe they were/are up for an award in EnRoute magazine:
http://eatandvote.com/en

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Cupcakes are passé. Muffins are back.
For some, they never went away.

Never been to El Camino (not a trendy person), but everyone I know who's gone says it was great.

Been to Hintonburg Public House a couple of times. Was blown away by what they charged for a bottle of Canadian beer. $7.25 for a 330ml Steam Whistle? Minus the buck tip?

I think there's a minimum income level one needs to qualify for in order to become a 'regular' at any place on the Hipster Strip.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 1:38 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Tried Navarra last night for the first time. It was excellent!

This restaurant belongs to Rene Rodriguez, who was the winner of Top Chef Canada.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 1:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
http://www.lapresse.ca/vins/actualit...n-nom-soif.php

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here but Véronique Rivest, who is the second-best sommelier in the world, will be opening her own wine bar probably sometime in April.

It will be at 88 Montcalm in the former location of burger joint Le Twist. On Montcalm, this is about halfway between the hotel at Terrasses de la Chaudière, and the Brasseurs du Temps/Eiffel Tower Bridge.

This will be a big plus for the area. Rivest is the former sommelier of Les Fougères in Chelsea, and is one of the world's foremost wine experts.

The Twist location should be pretty cool, and has a gorgeous terrasse in behind that was a shame to see unused.
A few months late but apparently this place opened this weekend. It's called Soif.

My wife and I will likely check it out when we have some free time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation