HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 7:41 AM

Taken in abstraction from its surroundings, the Drake was indeed a beauty. Perhaps if it were located say around Lexington near Chrysler, where height seems to be somewhat restricted, it would still grace the city. But in that pic, it just didn't fit its surroundings.
The previous observation should not be construed as my saying that it should've been razed simply because it doesn't belong visually. It's a travesty that it had to be lost. People here are still lamenting the demise of the Singer Tower, after all.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 5:13 PM
JoeCooper

This project will take so many people off guard and is really finally grabbing the bull by the horn when it comes to building something of decent height on a property that would definitely accommodate something of such proportions! Developers are really beginning to see the potential of building tall and not just a 1,000 footer if were lucky every ten years or so with an 800 foot platou like years past where NIMBY's run in drones. I mean it though! We will be seeing the tallest roof height the city has ever seen yet to date aside from the very top of 1WTC's 1,401'5'! The cool part, this will be in Midtown as well!!!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 9:14 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Man View Post
I'm not a fan of the design, but the sheer height of this thing is cool. I can't wait to see pics of this one starting to rise. This is easily one of my favorite development sites in North America.

I do wish however they could have left the Drake alone and transfer density rights to another underutilized site. The building is long gone, so I guess there is no point dwelling in the past.

The wikipage claims this will be a rental apartment plus hotel. It may not be mentioned on wikipedia but presumably there will also be condos. I wonder how they make it work financially otherwise. It would be proprietary information but the pro-forma and construction financing details would be juicy.
The least they can do with this new tower is make the base similar in design to its predecessor.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Posted in the FT thread, the impact this would have on the skyline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Thanks, I'll try to do one from this angle at some point. In the meantime, here are a couple more photomontages, looking from the north, with the WTC complex anchoring Lower Manhattan.

Missing a few, and some of the towers are off a little, but no denying this will dominate...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Posted in the FT thread, the impact this would have on the skyline...

Missing a few, and some of the towers are off a little, but no denying this will dominate...
Thanks for the repost, credit to the original photographer Matt for the great original image. This tower really will have an incredible impact on the Midtown skyline by puncturing the "tabletop".

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:01 AM

I did another photomontage, showing the impact of 432 Park from the Upper West Side.

Original Photo Credit: pipgoat @ Flickr

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 11:12 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post

Good work again. I love these.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Good work again. I love these.
Ditto, me too!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:35 PM

Great Rendering!! But where is Tower verre?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:16 PM

Holy hell. If all those get built plus Tower Verre, that 750 footer on 57th and 1st or 2nd, and 610 Lexington, Midtown alone will have arguably the best skyline on earth. Great job sbarn, looks incredible.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:24 PM
BANNED

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/03/...dential-tower/

CIM, Macklowe submit plans for city’s tallest residential tower
March 29, 2012 06:30PM

Charles Garner, principal at CIM, and the proposed tower at 440 Park Avenue (center)
CIM Group and New York developer Harry Macklowe are making strides towards building the tallest residential building in New York City at the Drake Hotel site at 440 Park Avenue. They filed a plan examination request for the building, one of the first steps towards getting a development off the ground, with the Department of Buildings, according to a DOB filing dated March 26.
The California-based real estate investment trust filed its plans for an 82-story condominium tower for review to DOB, which will check if its plans are in compliance with building code, a DOB spokesperson confirmed, saying an examiner had not yet reviewed the filing. The filing cites the height of the building as 1,397 feet in total, which would make it the tallest residential building in the city; for comparison’s sake, One57, Extell Development’s planned condo tower on 57th Street will be 1,004 feet tall upon completion in 2013 and the Empire State Building, the tallest structure in the city, is 1,453 feet in height.

As previously reported, CIM, (which acquired the site for $305 million last year), and Macklowe plan to erect a slim condo and retail complex designed by Uruguayan-born architect Rafael Vinoly at the site. It is slated to have 128 units and 12-foot high ceilings. The $1 billion project will include a 5,000-square-foot driveway, golf training facilities and private dining and screening rooms, according to previous reports.

Neither CIM nor Macklowe immediately responded to requests for comment.
— Katherine Clarke

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:54 PM

1397 ft = 426 M or so....does this mean we might get to see an actual real render soon .

I hope it ends up over 1400ft not that it really matters

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:17 PM

Utterly fantastic renders, sbarn!

The original photos are all great as well.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelanetrain17 View Post
Great Rendering!! But where is Tower verre?
Doh, I always manage to miss something major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson
The original photos are all great as well.
Agreed, I love this angle of the Manhattan skyline for some reason.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:34 PM

Imagine a flattened skyline at the height of this tower, with 500-600m towers sticking above the plateau, now thats what im waiting for in hte future.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:11 PM

Tower Verre and Girasole need representation. Atelier II + the Bus Terminal and Libeskind 1 Madison proposals....maybe????? + the 57th tower that needs the school built for it first.
And the crazy thing? All this is blocking the view of the completed Trade Center Complex, 99 Church, 56 Leonard, 10(?) West, Nobu (maybe), etcetcetc...........really nice work on the proposals.

1 question tho: Is the shape of 225 W57th's silhouette based on any possible renderings to come?

PS: Sorry for the sloppy presentation here. I shouldn't want this to turn into a project entitled "New York 2020/What If?: UC/Proposed/Cancelled since Larkin Tower." Once I would hear the name Travelstead in my head, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to stop myself: "Well how about this? Or that? Ad Nauseam?".

Last edited by JayPro; Mar 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:29 PM

so its no longer 1,420 ft?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Apparently not -- unless there are unoccupied mechanical floors at the top. We'll need to see the DOB filings.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 7:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickser View Post
Imagine a flattened skyline at the height of this tower, with 500-600m towers sticking above the plateau, now thats what im waiting for in hte future.
You'll be a waiting a long long time boyo! I'm guessing you have the time to wait, still when that happens, some kid will be saying "I can't wait until the skyline is flattened at 600m with 800-1200m towers above the plateau, etc, etc... and on and on.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 7:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Tower Verre and Girasole need representation. Atelier II + the Bus Terminal and Libeskind 1 Madison proposals....maybe?????
And the crazy thing? All this is blocking the view of the completed Trade Center Complex, 99 Church, 56 Leonard, 10(?) West, Nobu (maybe), etcetcetc...........really nice work on the proposals.

1 question tho: Is the shape of 225 W57th's silhouette based on any possible renderings to come?
No, I think that is the new tower going up in Guangzhou (500m). It is quite the looker though, ain't it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive