HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 9:23 PM

Tobin Center Renovation

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met...n.39753dd.html

Web Posted: 06/02/2008 11:34 PM CDT

By Jennifer Hiller
Express-News

A conceptual design released Monday for the new Bexar County Performing Arts Center shows Municipal Auditorium — the center's home — re-created as a “glowing space” along the San Antonio River.

The city, county and a nonprofit foundation gave the first clues to what the 1920s-era Municipal Auditorium might become — essentially a building with a personality split between old and new — when it is transformed.

The design shows that the venerable, iconic stone facade would remain reassuringly the same, easily familiar to residents as a place beloved for its long history of hosting high school graduations and Fiesta coronations.

But from behind, expansive glass walls and an outdoor amphitheater stair-stepping its way down to the San Antonio River would open the building to the River Walk for the first time.

The Bexar County Performing Arts Center Foundation, the nonprofit group overseeing the plans, commissioned San Antonio architecture firms Lake/Flato and Ford, Powell & Carson to create the conceptual design.

The conceptual master plan doesn't address the particulars of the project — how the interior halls will look, the acoustics, the materials palette or the exact exterior design.

Instead, it sketches out the biggest challenges of the existing building and gives suggestions for how to solve those problems, including the need to connect with the river, the preservation of the historic facade and the need to break the existing 4,800-seat hall into something useful to a variety of performing arts companies.

Resident companies at the Bexar County Performing Arts Center would include the San Antonio Symphony, San Antonio Opera and Ballet San Antonio.

Voters on May 10 approved extending the venue tax on hotel rooms and rental cars. Among a variety of civic projects to be funded is $110 million for the performing and visual arts, including $100 million to transform Municipal Auditorium into a performing arts center. (The other $10 million will go to the Alameda Theater and the Dolph and Janey Briscoe Western Art Museum).

Preliminary plans for Municipal Auditorium include an exterior restoration and an interior redo that would divide the building into a series of smaller halls that could host anything from a pop concert to an opera or local theater production and still have spaces that people could rent for receptions and events.

A 1,700- to 2,000-seat main hall would be the centerpiece, but a 3,000-square-foot rehearsal hall and a 250- to 450-seat flexible theater could accommodate local performing arts groups and theater companies. Many of those groups do not have a dedicated home for performances.

Although plans currently call for preserving the building's facade, Ted Flato, founding partner of Lake/Flato Architects, said one unavoidable change is that the existing roofline will need to be raised to achieve the ceiling height needed for good acoustics.

Another problem is the lack of on-site parking. Mayor Phil Hardberger and County Judge Nelson Wolff have been talking with nearby churches and owners of parking garages to create a parking plan for the venue.

“There will be parking. The deal has not been cut,” Hardberger said. “If you don't have the parking, you won't get the people. We realize that.”

The performing arts center foundation is starting an in-depth program study, talking to resident organizations and other performing arts groups to figure out priorities, hall size and acoustic needs.

The foundation also will hire a consultant to help it with a worldwide search for architects, acousticians and designers.

“This will be a very thorough, very methodical process,” said J. Bruce Bugg Jr., who heads the performing arts center foundation.

The architect-hiring and design process will take two years, during which Municipal Auditorium will remain open. Construction then is expected to take another three years.

Bugg said the foundation plans to follow the process used during the recent expansion of the McNay Art Museum. In that, the McNay's board used a consultant to find 30 architects worldwide to consider hiring. Museum trustees narrowed the list to five, from whom they heard proposals before making a final decision.

The performing arts center foundation also is working on a plan to raise $32 million in private funds toward construction and design costs, along with an operations and maintenance fund to help get the center started.

The foundation will operate the center under an agreement with the city and county.
~~~

There's a rendering in the article. I can't wait for this project to kick off!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 9:35 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 9:39 PM

Thanks I'm at work right now, so posting pics is tricky.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 9:45 PM

No problem. Just don't let it happen again.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 2:44 AM

Happy, Happy to see they will use the '26 building! Look forward to seeing the details! Congrats!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 3:18 AM
Meh

So glad to hear they're keeping it. I hope whatever they do with the roof with it being raised, I hope they retain the style. I LOVE this building. I really need to go explore it some more next month when I'm in town.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:54 AM

The city is finally seeing it's potential. Downtown is going to be awesome!
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:44 PM
Bears of antiquity

We're going to pack in the central loop area, aren't we? Yay, new urbanism is going to finally hit central texas!

And with the streetcar, we'll make sure we aren't the last to get reliable local rail service in Texas!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:51 PM

I know! Can we just fast forward 3 or 5 years so we can see the new San Antonio??

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:58 PM
Bears of antiquity

The squeeze is starting to happen, and those parking lots are suddenly going to become podiums for 20-30 story office/condo buildings.

I'm so happy for the streetcar, though! And it's going down small streets and will more than likely have its own lane in most places. Kaching!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I know! Can we just fast forward 3 or 5 years so we can see the new San Antonio??
Good things come to those who wait ....like AT&T?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:03 PM
Closed account

My theory is that they're waiting for River North to get going

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:15 PM

ATTENTION! KSAT is doing a story on light rail tonight.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:34 PM
Bears of antiquity

I'm in Seattle-- can you paraphrase the story when it comes on?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 8:33 PM

Same here, I'm in Kansas City.

Eh, who am I kidding, I'm sure somebody will post a complete transcript of every word

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 9:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
ATTENTION! KSAT is doing a story on light rail tonight.
Evening or at 10?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 12:25 AM
Hmmm....

There's nothing on their site and I haven't seen a spoiler.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 2:26 AM
Bears of antiquity

Well?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 2:46 AM

It's only 9:47 CST :-) KSAT comes on at 10

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 2:51 AM
Bears of antiquity

I know, it took me a sec. I just noticed what time it was here and was going to edit it to say something like "Can't wait!"

Bussssssssssssteddddddd

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio