HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 23, 2006, 3:44 AM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley
I love making idiots on AL.com appear even more stupid (I know, it doesn't seem possible, does it?)

That conversation about Seattle's monorail project being killed was priceless. Talk about denial.

"It only killed the Green Line, not the entire project."

Hmm... something tells me if the first phase of my project is killed, chances are phases 2,3,4, and 5 won't be built. And they are still paying for it with their vehicle tax. Ass!

And of course, when someone is busted, what will that person try to do next? That's right:

"Well, I'm smarter than you!"

Damn, what a moron!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2006, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ham Bound
That conversation about Seattle's monorail project being killed was priceless. Talk about denial.

"It only killed the Green Line, not the entire project."

Hmm... something tells me if the first phase of my project is killed, chances are phases 2,3,4, and 5 won't be built. And they are still paying for it with their vehicle tax. Ass!

And of course, when someone is busted, what will that person try to do next? That's right:

"Well, I'm smarter than you!"

Damn, what a moron!
guys; come on. the AL.com ppl are not stupid or ignorant.

Certainly not racist like their fathers and grandfathers were.

Ditto for the Black posters on AL.com; none of that "You don't understand, WE own the city now" bullcrap like we heard from the Arrlington-governed City Council in the 80s, and in fact was the feeling of many blacks in Birmingham at the time.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2006, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85
Anyone saw how the ALDOT has those traffic cameras now available online?

http://www.dot.state.al.us/Bureau/De...ameraList.aspx
The web access to the cameras are nice for both commuters and the media, who now can use the cameras during newscasts for traffic and weather reports.

I wished that ALDOT would install more cameras along Birmingham-area roads and make all of those cameras accessible on the internet...the choice out there just does not cover everything at all, but it is a great start.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2006, 4:36 AM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson
guys; come on. the AL.com ppl are not stupid or ignorant.

Certainly not racist like their fathers and grandfathers were.

Ditto for the Black posters on AL.com; none of that "You don't understand, WE own the city now" bullcrap like we heard from the Arrlington-governed City Council in the 80s, and in fact was the feeling of many blacks in Birmingham at the time.
If they're not stupid they sure put on one hell of a convincing act. And of course, most of the people are your regular, well-meaning cyberspace forumers, but there are a few sore-thumbs in the bunch who use the boards as a platform to spew their racist garbage. And what Black poster has said anything like ""You don't understand, WE own the city now?" For one, there aren't that many of us around. It's what, me (SixPeas) and EmFace, right? That's like two since d1rty got banned?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2006, 5:07 AM

Ok folks... any proposals out there for anything 20+ stories? I know we've got some developers/real estate folks on here that would know. It's been quiet for quite some time. I heard quite some time back about some larger ones (30-40 stories) that fell through or were just "testing the waters" so to speak. But I thought there was one or two proposals of 20-30 stories that actually had some weight to the issue. Did these too fall by the wayside? Any rumors or speculation?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2006, 2:53 PM

Just found that the Friends of Red Mountain Park have a forum on their website now to discuss the park. Here's the link if you're interested. http://www.redmountainpark.org/phpBB2/index.php

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 4:15 PM
I concede

Guys, if you need a quick laugh, please check out this "TigerMan39" guy on AL.com's forums. This guy insists I'm an idiot (and Justin as well) for not "realizing" that Mobile is larger than Birmingham. Where do these people (and I use that word loosely) come from?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 4:18 PM
EchoBoomer

which forum on AL.com?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 4:39 PM
I concede

^ Birmingham's (http://www.al.com/forums/birmingham/)

Proceed with caution!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2006, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ham Bound
If they're not stupid they sure put on one hell of a convincing act. And of course, most of the people are your regular, well-meaning cyberspace forumers, but there are a few sore-thumbs in the bunch who use the boards as a platform to spew their racist garbage. And what Black poster has said anything like ""You don't understand, WE own the city now?" For one, there aren't that many of us around. It's what, me (SixPeas) and EmFace, right? That's like two since d1rty got banned?
That is interesting. I rarely post there anymore, but I found my account banned for no reason. I hate that board.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2006, 11:01 PM

Though Birmingham has had its banking struggles the last couple years, we still have a strong presence and Compass just grew a little more.

Quote:
Compass stepping up to 5th largest bank in Texas in wake of recent purchase
Birmingham Business Journal - 2:26 PM CST Monday

Compass Bancshares Inc. has completed its acquisition of Fort Worth-based TexasBanc Holding Co., parent corporation of TexasBank.

The merged institutions will become the fifth largest bank in Texas and will rank fourth in the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington metropolitan area based on share of total deposits in the market.

After the merger, Compass will have total deposits of approximately $22 billion. Approximately $9.5 billion of that amount, or more than 43 percent, will be located in Texas.

With total assets of $32.6 billion, Compass will rank as the 28th largest U.S. bank holding company, with operations in Texas, New Mexico, Florida, Colorado, Arizona and its home state of Alabama.

"The addition of TexasBank further demonstrates our commitment to build long-term value for our shareholders through continued investment in high-growth markets that enhance our future growth capabilities and that make financial sense," said D. Paul Jones Jr., Compass' chairman and CEO.

Based in Birmingham, Compass Bancshares (NASDAQ: CBSS) has 408 offices in the following locations: 163 in Texas, 90 in Alabama, 71 in Arizona, 42 in Florida, 32 in Colorado and 10 in New Mexico.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2006, 11:25 PM

Alabama's lone themepark, Visionland, has now been renamed "Alabama Adventure." Along with the name-change announcement came the unveiling of a 10-year plan for the park. Plans include: a hotel (or two), new rides, an RV park, etc. Hopefully I can find the full details of the 10-year plan soon.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 12:24 AM

A 10-year plan going to need to call about 10 major new rides and another name change for this place to become a real destination. The RV park seems like a really good idea.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopos
A 10-year plan going to need to call about 10 major new rides and another name change for this place to become a real destination. The RV park seems like a really good idea.
Well... Southland Entertainment (owners of the park) had been adding about 2-3 new rides every year, so if that keeps up or even happens at a faster rate, the park will be in great shape. It's at least a vast improvement from the previous owners.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 1:27 AM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopos
I agree. "Alabama Adventures" is not going to cut it. And we're severely lacking in coasters!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 2:17 AM

Sure sounds like they're marketing this for a sale to a bigger theme park company. Can you say, "Six Flags Alabama Adventure?"

I know SFOG is nearby and so is New Orleans, but Six Flags wants to be in medium-major markets all over the country.

How about "Busch Gardens Alabama Adventure?"

And hey, Southland may hold onto this for a while -- even years to implement some of their master plan, adding coasters and fixing up the place even more. But if it gets going right and attendance numbers improve, they'll sell it like a popsicle in Phoenix.

It'll be interesting to watch. These are the same people who said the Visionland name was solid and didn't change it when they bought it.

$0.02.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 3:37 AM

Alright alright... so let's get a discussion going.

Why havent Regions or Compass come forward with any significant plans for a statement tower or even any sort of new corporate HQ building? Why have they not?

Regions is about the 12th largest bank in the US... Compass is now the 28th largest bank in the US (not a great deal smaller than SouthTrust when it was bought out).

Do we think Regions and/or Compass will step up and do anything any time soon? I would think at least ONE of the two would do something, but I guess I'd better not hold my breath.

Last edited by Blazer85; Mar 28, 2006 at 3:43 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2006, 3:17 PM

Found a little hint about what might happen with the Pizitz building in a retail article I was reading...

Quote:
Downtown, the Bayer-owned Pizitz Building is slated for development. The building was eyed by Sloss Real Estate for condos last year, but those plans fell through.

"We're working on a mixed-use project for Pizitz," Bayer said. "I really can't go into more detail on that right now."

Old Posted Apr 2, 2006, 3:47 PM
Have yo momman'em call me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85
Alright alright... so let's get a discussion going.

Why havent Regions or Compass come forward with any significant plans for a statement tower or even any sort of new corporate HQ building? Why have they not?
Regions has been working on a plan for a new signature HQ tower, but the last I heard of it was months ago. They could be even closer now...or could have cancelled it outright. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2006, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinLee
Regions has been working on a plan for a new signature HQ tower, but the last I heard of it was months ago. They could be even closer now...or could have cancelled it outright. Guess we will have to wait and see.
I, too, had heard rumors of that, but nothing definitive... and was assuming that since we had heard nothing new (even as far as rumors go) in quite some time, that maybe they had decided against it. I think there's even be a new CEO named since the last rumors about that that I had heard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast