HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:41 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2018 in Frozen Yellowknife, Canada

Yellowknife is located in the Northwest Territories, the frozen winter wonderland above Canada's main urban centres. With temperatures dropping to below -30C at night, it gets quite cold here. In recent years, this town has seen an influx of winter tourists looking for beautiful aurora borealis. But there are some things to do during the day as well. The Old Town deserves 2-3 hours of your time. Just walk downhill along Franklin Avenue, the city's main thoroughfare, past the Days Inn. It takes about 10-15 minutes before you reach the first attractions in the Old Town. The furthest end of the walking tour would be the hill in the distance.

Ragged Ass Road was originally named by prospectors who had gone broke. This part of town orginally had an unorganized mix of shacks and outhouses. It became a popular street sign to steal although souvenir copies can now be bought instead.

This backyard actually fronts Great Slave Lake, which is frozen and snow-covered for the season so it looks like it has merged with land.

With the lake frozen over, it is possible to drive across the lake to Dettah, an indigeneous community. Houseboats on the lake have also frozen over.

To combat bitter cold winter temperatures, cars have electric cords at the front so when they park, they can plug in to keep the equipment warm.

Many of these northern communities are not easily accessible due to distance and harsh weather conditions. Hence, air travel is crucial for both passengers and cargo in this vast wilderness. The Pilot's Monument celebrates bush pilots from yesteryear with a simple structure on top of a hill commanding lovely views of the city.

Yellowknife has a bus service with 3 routes, and I did spot a few buses rumble by every now and then during my walk.

More photos on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/yellowknife.htm

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:16 AM

YK has the most decent urban skyline for a city with less than 20000 people.

Not an industrial city, not a resort town, just an average small city with most decent urban skyline.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 3:54 PM

Nice pictures! I've looked at going to Yellowknife, or somewhere in Canada's territories. I would go in the summer, myself!

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 4:21 PM
BANNED

Awesome pictures

Thanks for sharing.

Anything from downtown?

http://spectacularnwt.com/destinations/yellowknife

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowknife

BTW Great Slave Lake is absolutely massive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Slave_Lake

The Great Slave Lake (French: Grand lac des Esclaves) is the second-largest lake in the Northwest Territories of Canada (after Great Bear Lake), the deepest lake in North America at 614 metres (336 fathoms; 2,014 ft), and the tenth-largest lake in the world. It is 469 km (291 mi) long and 20 to 203 km (12 to 126 mi) wide. It covers an area of 27,200 km2 (10,502 sq mi) in the southern part of the territory. Its given volume ... up to 2,088 km3 (501 cu mi)

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:46 AM
Hong Kong

New Town is primarily a commercial district with bank offices, shopping malls, and restaurant options.

A supermarket occupies the first floor of YK Centre. Prices are not significantly inflated from the southern cities. Eating out can get quite expensive, with simple meals easily running into CAD $15.

Not far from the main thoroughfare, Franklin Avenue, the density tapers off dramatically with houses on spacious lots. New Town is not a big area being only a few blocks long and not too deep.

This log cabin was built in 1937 and became a school, although it has been relocated here from another location.

More photos on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/yellowknife.htm

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 10:50 PM

Great photos! Yellowknife is on my bucket list, but as others have stated, I'd much rather go in the summer!

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Great photos! Yellowknife is on my bucket list, but as others have stated, I'd much rather go in the summer!
Keep in mind you exchange the bitter cold temperatures for millions of mosquitoes and black flies in the summer. So it's a toss up for some. Also the Aurora Borealis is visible only in the winter. During the summer the sky has light in it all night.

Great pictures HK.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 8:43 AM
Hong Kong

Now let's get to the good stuff. The city's key attraction comes alive at night. Many tour companies offer various levels of experience, from a big bus tour in a huge campground outside the city to a more intimate aurora chasing tour over several sites. I chose the aboriginal experience, staying with a local community across the lake in Dettah. They grilled fish for us, offered hot drinks, and the skies opened up spectacularly just outside.

More photos on my website - see the link below :

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos