HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 1:57 AM

*yawn*

apparently *yawn* is to short to post and I need to increase the posting to 10 characters. done.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
*yawn*
I'm no baseball fan either. I remember going to about two Beavers games in the early 80's, and haven't been back since.

But I imagine there are people employed by the Beavers who live in Portland. They will either move to Escondido, or lose their jobs. Those direct jobs leave Portland, as do the economic activity spurred by those jobs. And lots of folks whose jobs were depending on the baseball fans coming to the stadium for their jobs in and around the stadium neighborhood.

This can't be good economic news for Portland's 10.5% unemployment rate to lose a direct employer, and other jobs dependent on that employers customers.

I know absolutely nothing about pro soccer. Do the baseball and soccer season overlap at all? Would keeping the Beavers in town have provided an extension of the pro sports season in Portland?

EDIT: I found a schedule on the Timbers website. MLS is apparently a bit sparse when it comes to games. The season runs roughly May through October. June is the peak with 5 home games in Portland that month, while several other months like April, September and October have just one single home game scheduled to be played in Portland. May, July and August have three or four home games played in Portland. Compare that to the Beavers schedule on their website, who have 14 Portland home games in August, and played between 14 and 18 home games per month from April onwards through summer.

I wonder how the loss of all of those Beavers games will work for that business community on Burnside and around PGE park? Surely these weren't huge Major League crowds going to the Beavers games, but it can't be good news to see even a few thousand customers all disappear for good.

Last edited by MightyAlweg; Aug 25, 2010 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyAlweg View Post
EDIT: I found a schedule on the Timbers website. MLS is apparently a bit sparse when it comes to games. The season runs roughly May through October. June is the peak with 5 home games in Portland that month, while several other months like April, September and October have just one single home game scheduled to be played in Portland. May, July and August have three or four home games played in Portland. Compare that to the Beavers schedule on their website, who have 14 Portland home games in August, and played between 14 and 18 home games per month from April onwards through summer.

I wonder how the loss of all of those Beavers games will work for that business community on Burnside and around PGE park? Surely these weren't huge Major League crowds going to the Beavers games, but it can't be good news to see even a few thousand customers all disappear for good.
If you bothered to search the web for news and discussion on this subject, you could save yourself some embarrassment.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiftyfive View Post
If you bothered to search the web for news and discussion on this subject, you could save yourself some embarrassment.
Sure. But what's the fun in that? I save true public embarassment for parties when I try and dance.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 7:42 PM

Quote:

Portland Trail Blazers launch G League team that will play at Chiles Center starting next season
As NBA teams over the last decade have become increasingly reliant on the G League as a tool for finding unheralded players and for developing young draft picks, the Portland Trail Blazers have largely been content to sit out the trend.

Since 2014, the Blazers have opted to develop young players in-house or to farm them out to teams in the G League, the basketball equivalent of a farm system, run by other NBA franchises.

That will change next season when a new Blazers affiliate will play at the Chiles Center on campus at the University of Portland...
Read more at Oregon Live...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 5:39 AM
A before E

That is awesome news! I vote they should be called the Shaqdale Trouts

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment