HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:13 PM
Hamilton Historian

they should have installed lights into the sidewalk and made it light up like that every night - it looks awesome

I love when buildings are lit up at night.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:18 PM

The City leaves all the office lights on instead.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 6:10 PM

Wooden construction hoarding going up around the annex lot today. Trucks and bins on site.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 3:18 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Wooden construction hoarding going up around the annex lot today. Trucks and bins on site.
I love how quickly they work! Look how quickly this area has been revitalized! I hope LIUNA tackles other projects in the city too!

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I love how quickly they work! Look how quickly this area has been revitalized! I hope LIUNA tackles other projects in the city too!
Honestly, getting the Kresge towers going would be amazing. It kills me that the Zellers site just sits there - you think the owners would want to gain the same type of municipal respect that Liuna and Core Urban are garnering.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 6:07 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Honestly, getting the Kresge towers going would be amazing. It kills me that the Zellers site just sits there - you think the owners would want to gain the same type of municipal respect that Liuna and Core Urban are garnering.
It kills me too man - that and the lot beside it - which still has remnants of its steel bones sticking out of the building they are currently redoing..

Still.. that area is pretty vital for supercrawl.. and when they have concerts along james st..

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
I don't understand what you mean, Kresge's is a LIUNA project too?

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
I don't understand what you mean, Kresge's is a LIUNA project too?
The Kresge's project aka "King at Hughson" is a LIUNA project: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=209242

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 8:22 PM

Sorry, badly phrased. Kresge's is a liuna project too so how does it reflect badly on liuna that this one is not progressing but the Lister annex is?

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
Sorry, badly phrased. Kresge's is a liuna project too so how does it reflect badly on liuna that this one is not progressing but the Lister annex is?
No poor reflection on Liuna at all - its the former Zellers site and the owner that sits on that year after year. I may be wrong, but thought it was DeSantis . Certainly they have cash in hand to get something going on this golden site.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 1:39 PM

ok, now I know what you're talking about. Sorry for confusion, I was conflating the Zellers and Kresge sites.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 4:40 PM

Quote:
I may be wrong, but thought it was DeSantis
DeSantis does own the lot at James/King William, and they've been quoted saying they intend to develop, which is basically nonsense until they've actually submitted an application.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
DeSantis does own the lot at James/King William, and they've been quoted saying they intend to develop, which is basically nonsense until they've actually submitted an application.
Looking at their profile, I would not expect a unique design regardless. Which kind of sucks, because it is such a prominent spot. It will likely be just as plain as the rest of their developments.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 11:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

New eatery to replace Wendel Clark’s in Hamilton’s Lister Block
Hogtown Smoke will be the third restaurant to open in the iconic heritage building since 2013

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...-lister-block/

A restaurant in Hamilton's Lister Block has closed, but a new eatery is already planning to take its place.

Wendel Clark's Classic Grill and Bar shut its doors for good at its location in the city-owned building at the corner of King William Street on restaurant row earlier this month.

"As of Dec. 8, Wendel Clark's Hamilton will cease to operate," says a letter posted to the door. "We would like to thank family, friends and the City of Hamilton for your support and patronage over the past few years."

A new restaurant — Hogtown Smoke — will take over the lease and open in that location once renovations are complete, according to the city.

This will be the third eatery to open in the iconic heritage building since 2013.

The closure of Wendel Clark's was a "business decision," Ray Kessler, city real estate manager, said in an emailed statement. He said their lease is in "good standing" with the city.

The current lease allows the tenant — Wendel Clark's — to assign the lease to another operator with the approval of the city, which is what is happening in this case, said David McCullagh, senior business development consultant of real estate, in an emailed statement.

The new tenant — a BBQ and wood-fire grill restaurant that will be dubbed Steeltown Smoke — operates other eateries in the Toronto area, Kessler said.

Details about their opening will be provided in the new year once renovations are complete, he said in a statement.

Hogtown Smoke operating partner Glen Tymchuk said the hope is to open by March 1 — if not earlier — once cosmetic renovations like signage are complete. This will be the restaurant's fourth location, but its first in Hamilton.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 10:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton 1980s-themed diner opens new donation location on Friday

https://www.insauga.com/hamilton-198...nBcdouTvXNl4sk

Bring your legwarmers and your appetite, because the much-anticipated downtown location of Electric Diner is opening this weekend in Hamilton.

The 1980s-themed diner, through an Instagram post, says it will be opening its new location at 28 James St. N., at King William St., in the historic Listor Block. The takeover of the space at the City of Hamilton-owned heritage building was approved in May.

Electric Diner, co-owned by Erika Puckering and Jamie Ewing, has gained a strong reputation for food and fan service since its first location opened in Hess Village (96 George St.) in 2019. The décor goes heavy on straight-outta-Miami Vice pastels and pop-culture from the 1980s is a theme of a menus with names such as as the Axel Foley burger and the Boy George smashed avocado sandwich.

Hours for opening weekend will be 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. on Friday (Nov. 4), 9 a.m.-1 a.m. Saturday and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Sunday. Regular hours will begin next week.

Some menu features include craft cocktails, a children’s menu for kids who are 12 years of age and younger, and a rotation of specialty milkshakes. Milkshake updates are often posted on Electric Diner’s Insta account.

The space in Lister Block had been vacant since a Wendel Clark’s sports bar there closed in 2019.

Meantime, Electric Diner in Hess Village is open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. four days a week. It stays open till 1 a.m. on Friday nights. On weekends, it opens at 9 a.m.; closing times are 1 a.m. on Saturday nights and at 4 p.m. on Sunday afternoons.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 12:23 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Hamilton 1980s-themed diner opens new donation location on Friday
Must be their "grand" opening... we had lunch there yesterday! And it was fairly busy.

So much more space than their Hess Village location. I hope they succeed here; the unit has got the stench of failure but I think they're different enough from the other restaurants in the area to make it work. Plus the market is about to change in the not-too-distant future.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 3:30 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Must be their "grand" opening... we had lunch there yesterday! And it was fairly busy.

So much more space than their Hess Village location. I hope they succeed here; the unit has got the stench of failure but I think they're different enough from the other restaurants in the area to make it work. Plus the market is about to change in the not-too-distant future.
I'll have to check it out - although that typa place in the lister block feels a bit.. weird.. I always think of the lister block as more upscale - I loved the first restaurant that was in it..

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 6:25 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I'll have to check it out - although that typa place in the lister block feels a bit.. weird.. I always think of the lister block as more upscale - I loved the first restaurant that was in it..
The decor was really great. I hadn't been in there during the previous iterations, but they seem to have done a good job with that space.

I found their George St. location very cramped. Only time I've been there we were on the second floor, it was all busy (including patio) and took a long time for the food to arrive so I have to wonder if the kitchen capacity is an issue when the whole place is full of customers. Our food at the sister site arrived fast, so perhaps it's very suitable for them.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 3:26 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
The decor was really great. I hadn't been in there during the previous iterations, but they seem to have done a good job with that space.

I found their George St. location very cramped. Only time I've been there we were on the second floor, it was all busy (including patio) and took a long time for the food to arrive so I have to wonder if the kitchen capacity is an issue when the whole place is full of customers. Our food at the sister site arrived fast, so perhaps it's very suitable for them.
I just hope they do well - I hate to think of the restaurant part as being cursed..

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 5:23 PM
Hammer'd

I have a feeling this place will finally do well and break the Lister Block curse. They'll fit in well with the other restaurants on King William and James unlike Wendel Clark's which probably would have done better in Jackson Square or somewhere closer to the arena on York.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton