HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post

I almost think it could be salvaged if they painted fake windows on that wall.
That could work, or paint some kind mural on it.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 3:07 AM

I never doubted for one moment that the telephone poles on the north and east sides of the federal court house were going to be eventually removed and the power lines buried...until today. They aren't coming down. The brick in the side walk is being cut to accommodate those poles and I'm, well I don't know what the right word is. Confusion might approximate it.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
That could work, or paint some kind mural on it.
Yeah, I'm all for a 10-story version of the "Hi How Are You?" frog/monster thing. Or a reproduction of the now defunct "We are all robots" mural on the train bridge. Just something so I don't have to cringe as I drive by twice a day. As for the power poles, I also hoped they would go underground.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 10:14 AM

Nice photo update. Good job!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 3:32 PM

public art

Yeah, I think we could use some good BIG public art projects downtown. Things are beginning to look a tad sterile.

Oh, and those power lines at he fed courthouse......are you joking???? Someone needs to be fired.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3FE View Post
I never doubted for one moment that the telephone poles on the north and east sides of the federal court house were going to be eventually removed and the power lines buried...until today. They aren't coming down. The brick in the side walk is being cut to accommodate those poles and I'm, well I don't know what the right word is. Confusion might approximate it.
They are not doing it now because of the cost. It costs between $250,000 and $500,000 in the suburbs for just a couple of blocks, probably much more downtown, to bury existing above ground power lines. My company had done it for new construction before. Obviously the power has to be cut and rerounted for a short period during the transition. It's like closing part of the highway - you have to have a detour. The cost goes up if the lines are the main power lines to what are called 'protected' or 'exempt' buildings - in other words buildings that cannot have their power cut off. All those office buildings that were exempted from the rolling blackouts that hit the rest of us a couple of years ago? It's because they had tech companies in them who made deals with the city to exempt their buildings and not cut their power. To take existing lines off-line from exempt buildings, even for a short period, requires you to create secondary line when there is no redudant power - the cost can be massive.

Yes, these companies have backup generators, but that's only for emergencies and backup generators do not give off the clean consistently smooth power stream required by tech companies to run their computers and data centers. Some companies have huge (expensive) power cleaners that scrub the power coming in from the generators when necessary, but that's a luxury that only the Intels, AMDs and Apples can afford. As we learned from the rolling blackouts, the downtown grid cannot be partially shut off, so it never gets shut off. And there's not much redundant power downtown. Also, not many large backup generators for the downtown buildings either. Not the type that can run your whole office - just the emergency lights & elevators kind.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 5:53 PM

Official ground breaking of the JW Marriott today
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/a...round-on-hotel

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 6:00 PM

Just found this too:
Waller Creek design winner to be announced this week!!

http://www.kvue.com/news/Waller-Cree...174349471.html

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 7:53 PM

New hotel plans revealed: 20 stories, roof terrace slated for Austin

Quote:
Developers REI Real Estate Services LLC and White Lodging Services Corp. will present these renderings and plans for a modern hotel with a projected 310 rooms to the Downtown Commission today at 5:30 p.m. The proposed unnamed project, at the corner of East Fifth Street and San Jacinto Boulevard, will be built by a team with experience in the Austin market, including members of the Harry Whittington family, REI and White Lodging.
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/sl...ries-roof.html

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 11:15 PM

Looks like a mix in design of the JW and Hyatt building built. I like it, especially the terrace portion. Want to see the facade though because not a fan of the Hyatt in the regard.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 12:19 AM

Taller than I expected.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 1:24 AM

It reminds me a little bit of 311 Bowie.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
It reminds me a little bit of 311 Bowie.

Speaking of 311 Bowie, shouldn't it be getting underway?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 4:32 PM

Yea 311 Bowie and Seaholm were supposed to be starting soon, I wonder if anyone has heard anything.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 4:51 PM

Winner announced to redesign Waller Creek: MVVA and Thomas Phifer & Partners

Quote:
BY CAITLIN M. RYAN

10.18.12 | 10:30

On Thursday morning, City Hall saw a packed house as architects, designers, city officials and reporters waited for the announcement of which talented team would be selected to implement its designs for Waller Creek and thereby reshape the future of Austin.

Post-announcement, Lee Leffingwell kicked off the press conference with, "This is significant milestone in the history of Austin, Texas, that we will go ahead in the development of Waller Creek here in Austin."

The area that will be impacted by MVVA and Thomas Phifer & Associates' design concept represents 11 percent of downtown. The design concept features a chain of parks that aim to heal and reconnect the east and west of Austin: The Lattice, The Grove, The Refuge, The Confluence.

"It was a difficult and rigorous process that we went through with the jury" said Stastny, and he revealed that the decision was unanimous upon final analysis.

This team stood out as a front runner many months ago when on Meet the Designers Night on May 15, we noted MVVA and Thomas Phifer & Associates recieved "a noticeably different introduction from Stastny, who lauded the group for its 'mature approach' to design."

The Waller Creek Conservancy has not yet had a chance to sit down with the winning team to discuss timing or finances as Thursday morning's announcement was the first made. However, development is already underway according to executive director of the Conservancy, Stephanie Lee McDonald, who says the Conservancy is working in conjunction with the city's Tunnel Project, which is already 65 percent complete. "When they come up to ground, we want to be able to make sure that our design can be a part of what their design is so we don't have to go back and redo anything."
http://austin.culturemap.com/newsdet...-waller-creek/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 5:16 PM

Austin City Council to consider East Fifth makeover project

Quote:
By Ben Wear American-Statesman Staff
Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012

A curbless stretch of East Fifth Street just east of Interstate 35, in a burgeoning night-life district, would get a $5.3 million makeover under a contract that the Austin City Council will consider Thursday.

East Fifth from I-35 to Onion Street would get new water, wastewater and storm sewer lines, and the street would be reconstructed in the year-long project, city of Austin project manager Randy Harvey said Wednesday. In addition, the seven-block stretch, which borders Capital Metro’s MetroRail line on the south and a mix of commercial and residential properties on the north, for the first time would have sidewalks, he said.

The width of those concrete sidewalks would vary, Harvey said. The south walk would be 10 feet wide, except for one small stretch where right-of-way limitations would constrict it to three-and-a-half feet, he said. The north sidewalk would vary from 5 to 12 feet wide.

Some beautification touches are planned, including trees, bushes and grass in some areas. There would also be new street lights, Harvey said, about one per block.

He said the project, if the council gives it the go-ahead, would likely begin Nov. 19, just after the Formula One race weekend. The project should be completed by November 2013, he said.
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/t...makeove/nSgFg/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 5:30 PM

Finale that area needed some loving

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 6:31 PM

There has been landscaping and other work going on at the Moon Units on S. 1st all week. For some reason they are leaving all the interior lights on 24/7. I can't tell if it's just up-keep or maybe something got settled?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 4:40 AM

Cota expansion

Circuit of The Americas looks to expand sports offerings to tennis, volleyball, boxing
Y'all...I so wish I could just peek in on Austin 10 years from now. This is awesome

http://www.statesman.com/news/sports...rts-off/nSg8B/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Circuit of The Americas looks to expand sports offerings to tennis, volleyball, boxing
Y'all...I so wish I could just peek in on Austin 10 years from now. This is awesome

http://www.statesman.com/news/sports...rts-off/nSg8B/
Forget about what I said of Austin ever having a football or baseball team; this really is pretty freaking dope if it ever does happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations