HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
People die from all sorts of things every day. Why would this particular statistic be irrelevant?
It is irrelevant because it contradicts raisethehammer's arguments. Had it supported them, he would be all for the statistic.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
I think 14 must include drivers too. but we can count these up ourselves and I think this is the 8th pedestrian fatality by my recollection - maybe 9th. Still above the average (not to mention anything above zero should be considered unacceptable), and considering the number of person-hours spent driving rather than walking in this city, it is interesting to notice that over half of the street deaths are pedestrians...
The total traffic (pedestrian + non-pedestrian) fatality rate in Hamilton this year appears to be much lower than the national average.

You can talk all you want about how even a single death is tragic (and it is), but Hamilton does not appear to be an especially dangerous place from this perspective relative to the rest of the country.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:15 AM

but the high pedestrianriver ratio might be cause for concern...?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
but the high pedestrianriver ratio might be cause for concern...?
If the pedestrianriver ratio is high, then that means the low driver rate is cause for optimism.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 2:21 PM
It's Hammer Time

What you guys think of this?

City wants to speed traffic on James and John

December 01, 2008
Dana Brown
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/474931

After turning James and John into two-way streets that slowed traffic down, the city is now looking for ways to speed things up.

City staff want the green light to tinker with signals on the two major roads, in order to shave anywhere from five seconds to one minute off driving times during peak hours.

Staff would also like to spend $60,000 to convert four intersections to actuated operation, meaning the light would only change when it's tripped by a road sensor or pedestrian push button.

"I think that what they've come up with should be helpful, from my experience," said downtown Councillor Bob Bratina.

"I think they've hit on the right approaches to solve it. But in the long run we will continue to have slower traffic and frankly, that's good."

Revised pavement markings and a formal request to Canada Post to change their vehicle schedules are also being recommended.

Sidney Leon, owner of Irving's Famous Clothes Ltd. at James and Rebecca, worries how an actuated system at the intersection would affect emergency vehicles using the route.

If people got used to a permanently green light, they may not understand the needs of emergency vehicles.

"Aside from that, it could be a good idea," Leon said. "It could increase traffic flow."

City staff say the same amount of traffic is travelling along James and John as when the streets were one way.

Although traffic has decreased in the original directions, added vehicles in the new lanes have kept volume the same.

Zdenka Ivic, owner of the Dance and Sport Boutique on James Street North, said when traffic stops on the street, they notice her store.

"For me, actually when they stop, they spot my store, so this is good," she said.

Others are adamant the city shouldn't do anything to speed things up.

"I want to slow the traffic down," said Jamie Gallagher, owner of Gallagher's Bar and Lounge at John Street South and Augusta.

Gallagher said the two-way conversion has been awful and vehicles are regularly flying down the road from the Mountain.

Bratina said other planned two-way conversions are different from James and John, which are two major Mountain access routes to downtown and the industrial core.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 2:30 PM

Why is this necessary?

As a motorist, I can't say I ever suffer delays while driving in Hamilton. Traffic here is way too free flowing. Sometimes I just can't believe the things that go on in this city. The business owners don't want it, shouldn't we respect their wishes? Is that how you treat your local businesses, especially in a downtown desperate for business?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 2:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

I don't mind the actuated operation, as long it's only during rush hour. It's a different setup than the Main and King St lighting system.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 3:37 PM
Hammer'd

The actuated system seems fine, as it would still turn red for pedestrians and opposing traffic when needed.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 3:48 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
facepalm

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I think it's great, I'm already dreaming of all the ways I'll spend my extra 5 seconds (sarcasm).

I'd put the $60K towards a deposit on Treble Hall.

When you think about it with all the $60K for this, and $50K for that, wouldn't finding $1M in the cities budget be kinda like finding sofa change? Hey, $20 bucks in my jacket from last winter.........

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 4:47 PM

I'm a big fan of all things efficient and I'm sure changing these 4 intersections to actuated intersections would improve efficiency. But this is sort of trying to address a problem that doesn't really exist, is there some petition that I don't know about by the Concerned Citizens for Actuated Intersections??

The return on investment for this proposal is poor if you ask me.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 4:54 PM

From what I understand the speed limit along James and John is 50km/h. Although driving along these streets I'll be going 50-55km/h and cars will impatiently pass me to the left. Are they going to increase the speed limit for these streets as well?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
From what I understand the speed limit along James and John is 50km/h. Although driving along these streets I'll be going 50-55km/h and cars will impatiently pass me to the left. Are they going to increase the speed limit for these streets as well?
{sarcasm, ON}
Hey, increasing the speed limit would be a great idea. Think about it that 5 second time saving could easily be multiplied by 4 or 5 times.

Think about it, an extra 20 to 25 seconds to spend however you desire. Heck, with that kind of extra time I could have doubled the length of this post.......
{sarcasm, OFF}

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
The actuated system seems fine, as it would still turn red for pedestrians and opposing traffic when needed.
Actuated systems are no good for cyclists.

This proposal is a waste of time and money.

I sincerely hope that they consult business owners and residents of these streets and put greater weight on their thoughts than on those who just drive through - or those who are only analyzing this idea "on paper"

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 5:47 PM

There should be actuated lights at every intersection anyway. Someone cheaped out somewhere along the way...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 6:36 PM

I think first they should contact Canada Post and try and have their schedules changed and see how that fares. So many times on my way home around 4-6pm there are CP trucks parked in the right lane of James street; it causes a lot of congestion as it reduces the number of lanes down to 1 and all of the buses passing by (which is a fair number) have to force their way into the left lane to go around the trucks.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 6:57 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
There should be actuated lights at every intersection anyway. Someone cheaped out somewhere along the way...
Yeah, to hell with cyclists.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post
Yeah, to hell with cyclists.
Huh? How would it affect cyclists? You mean because they aren't heavy enough to trip the sensor and would have to ride over to the pedestrian crossing button?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 7:26 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhayes View Post
Huh? How would it affect cyclists? You mean because they aren't heavy enough to trip the sensor and would have to ride over to the pedestrian crossing button?
Exactly.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post
Exactly.
It's not like any of them actually look at the light, why would it affect them?

The odds of hitting a red light on a timer or an induction loop to a cyclist are probably not much different anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure