HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:40 AM
BANNED

I think the two cartoonish buildings look cute together. Idk.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 4:33 PM
dream fast

Glad this is wrapping up. It's a simplistic, gimmicky design but it does do a great job of plugging that void on the Wacker Drive street wall.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 9:19 PM
Come As You Are

What's so gimmicky about it?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ And hard to believe, particularly after that earlier, very well documented curtain wall mistake......
I think this might be a little par for the course with multi-color curtainwall installation. It's sometimes hard to to tell what color glass is from the inside. 73 E. Lake had all sorts of out of place curtainwall sections when it was going up. It might still, actually, I haven't looked recently.

Last edited by Ned.B; Jan 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 5:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
What's so gimmicky about it?
The pattern through the facade. It comes off as either a lazy or budget-dictated design choice. It lacks creativity in the worst way. And given the sloppy and cheap detailing of this building, it makes the 'swoosh' design pattern that much worse, hence all the ridicule.

But as I said before, I'm okay with this. They did an okay job fixing a huge mess, and IMO, this thing, once completed and lighted, will fade away from our awareness and become just another building in Loop just as it's hideous neighbor has...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 1:58 PM

different mind-set

For everyone critiquing this structure and its curtain wall system for being too "bland," you ever think that Related or any developer for that matter are more concerned with how the people that are going to be paying for the space will think? If I was renting/buying, I sure as heck wouldn't care about a window detail that is 290' in the air from the outside...all I would be concerned with is one less mullion in my sight-line. That window on the 28th floor is where the ammenity/exercise rooms are going to be...isn't it nice to have less interruption in the windows then caring what it might look like to 15-20 people that will actually look at that area?

As far as the building, its a simple yet nice design. Its not my money, so not really going to criticize anything. If I want to whine, I would build my own building. I will take anything over the empty concrete structure that was sitting there for multiple years.

My first time on this blog, but I will say some of these photos are fantastic. Harry and all you others...bravo on sharing some of these great views

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 2:39 PM

Today

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStoppingBy View Post
For everyone critiquing this structure and its curtain wall system for being too "bland," you ever think that Related or any developer for that matter are more concerned with how the people that are going to be paying for the space will think? If I was renting/buying, I sure as heck wouldn't care about a window detail that is 290' in the air from the outside...all I would be concerned with is one less mullion in my sight-line. That window on the 28th floor is where the ammenity/exercise rooms are going to be...isn't it nice to have less interruption in the windows then caring what it might look like to 15-20 people that will actually look at that area?

As far as the building, its a simple yet nice design. Its not my money, so not really going to criticize anything. If I want to whine, I would build my own building. I will take anything over the empty concrete structure that was sitting there for multiple years.
You clearly don't understand what architectural criticism is. Of course it is not our money, that doesn't mean we can't lambaste Related for being the lazy, cheap ass, corner cutting developers that they are. This design may not be the worst design around, but it is a far cry from what I expect to be the minimum level of design for a city with a heritage like Chicago's. Of course it is not as heinous as AMLI River North, but it is also put to shame by the likes of Aqua, Optima, or any other of a multitude of better-designed towers around town.

The funny part is you are completely wrong about tenants and condo owners not caring what their building looks like. You would think that developers would have learned by now that even a little extra effort can get you a big edge over your competitors. Low-end-burg learned that lesson with Aqua (which was one of the most successful projects in the city over the past 5 or 6 years) and has shown a dedication to upper-tier design since. The Coast is about 10X better than this POS that Related shat out. Optima Chicago is commanding some of the highest rents downtown right now again partially because Hovey went with design and materials that are just a step above the 500 NLSD, 111 W Wacker, and AMLI set.

I've spoken with David Lynd who is the guy who developed EnV Tower before and he is very clear that high quality, modern, design is a big part of what made that project a huge success. He was able to build it, lease it out, and sell it in record time because the design was so attractive to the submarket of renters he was targeting. All of the biggest successes recently have had just a bit better design than the econoboxes thrown up by the likes of Related. The problem is not that design doesn't sell, it is that massive institutional developers like Related are lazy as hell and don't give a shit whether they make a 20% ROI or a 25% ROI when they just need a proforma showing a 12% required rate of return to their investors. Think about it, the people at Related who are actually running these projects do not have significant personal stakes in the project so they are only shooting to pass the class, not to get straight A's like Lowemburg, Hovey, or Lynd. These employees would rather take the easy, vanilla, route rather than step things up a notch and squeeze that next level of profits out of the project.

TLDR: You are wrong, design does sell, but Related is too lazy to give a shit.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Today
Nice composition there - may copy it some sunny day.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:21 PM

Thanks! A sunny day shot would be good. Early fall mornings down this corridor or the best IMO.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 9:23 PM

Crane podium sawed into "little" pieces and hauled away.
Jan 13

Jan 17

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 9:43 PM
BANNED

great last shot

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 11:06 AM

Cool

[/QUOTE]

cant believe they still havent fixed the window issue i hope they wont leave it like that with the two windows at the wrong places

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 1:11 PM
BANNED

they won't leave it like that

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 1:20 PM
BANNED

^ That issue has been corrected. Checked it out yesterday while passing over the Wells st bridge.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 7:17 PM

Jan 20th - looking tall from Clark street & in context

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 8:14 PM
BANNED

^Apparently, I stand corrected

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 10:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Apparently, I stand corrected
Haha, this thing was an embarrassing concrete shell for years... why stop being embarrassing just because it's taller and has glass????

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 10:24 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Jan 20th - looking tall from Clark street & in context

Looks good, thanks kolchak. Personally, I like it, it reinforces the Loop-proper as a residential hood and it's better than that concrete shell circa 2010.

The next trick is how well the redesigned base meets the street, how functional and accessible to foot traffic it is and also given the setting, how unique and attractive it can be (why not? aesthetics are important too, let's be honest).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 9:31 PM

The crane base is completely demolished now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive