HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 8:45 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Okayyou & Sabotai.

Of course, KingoftheHill, Giallo, Giovanni, Xander, Flash, and PhotoLith - among others - also come to mind.
I forgot all of those excellent photographers. Shit. I always click on a giallo thread. I dig Kilgore Trout's stuff too.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyronin View Post
okayyou & sabotai.

Of course, kingofthehill, giallo, giovanni, xander, flash, and photolith - among others - also come to mind.
+1

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 8:56 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

This isn't a City Discussion post but I suppose it has a place somewhere on the forum. I think it might be better to simply post which photographers work catches your eye, or what you really like about their work. We all bring something different to the forum, whether it's an 'epic' image or something incredibly touching on an intimate level; we all have our strengths and weaknesses; varying levels of equipment, etc. Honestly, I think SSP attracts great photographers who do it because we simply love to do it, regardless of the accolades received. We don't need awards or contest to inspire us to go out and do what we love.

I agree with Evergrey - there's a special place of honor for Robert Pence - sure, prior to his passing he was shooting digital like so many of us but long before I was even born (and I'm *40*), Rob was snapping pics, developing Ektachrome film and producing incredible work. He was us before Dylan was a glint in his mom's eye and the forum is blessed that he found his way here before he entered immortality.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 11:20 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I agree with Evergrey - there's a special place of honor for Robert Pence - sure, prior to his passing he was shooting digital like so many of us but long before I was even born (and I'm *40*), Rob was snapping pics, developing Ektachrome film and producing incredible work. He was us before Dylan was a glint in his mom's eye and the forum is blessed that he found his way here before he entered immortality.
+1

Yeah, Robert Pence and others like him were really the start of it all... people who simply dug cities and city neighborhoods and wanted to record their energy on film.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 12:09 AM
An Optimistic Realist

I like them all. They each have their own style.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 12:54 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Sabotai, Paradox21, flar, cpvlive, photolith, and Flash are my favorites.

It might also be interesting to ask who does the best documentary work on a given city (showcasing construction projects, street scenes, just pounding the pavement etc), separately from who has the best artistic abilities...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 1:03 AM

There are countless outstanding photographers on this board, but my favorite happens to be a local guy, Ninjatune. He doesn't start many threads around here but he does post are amazing...

Dallas: Since We Last Met
Dallas: Like we used to do.
Storm Chasing

Incidentally, if you're in the Dallas area between now and April 13, Ninjatunes has a solo exhibition at the Kettle Art Gallery in Deep Ellum...

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/mixm...os_of_dall.php

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 1:22 AM
Freakbirthed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Well, champ I never seen a more suitable place to post it..Perhaps there is

Skybar? general photography? I cant really think of a less suitable place than city discussions.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 2:50 AM

Photolith gets my vote because of his attention to how people live, including the tragedy of poverty.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 3:09 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Really all photographers on this site are incredible and deserve mad props.

In all seriousness, this is prime photojournalism, probably the best there is. Anyone wondering what North American cities look like need only peruse this site for 24 hours...

In comparison, I've always thought that photojournalism magazines like National Geographic or Life or what have you do an absolutely terrible job documenting the US and Canada. The stories are always focused on the strangest and most outlandish scenes and people people possible (if they visit rural areas, cue the cowboys and Mexican migrant workers ad nauseam). Similarly, their takes on major cities and smaller towns are really gritty and distorted - you never get a sense from these magazines of what the street scenes actually look like, but lots of old-timey this and that etc. It's all very artsy and Diane Arbus-esque or something, but has little documentary value.

Similarly, the popular media / movies rarely shows the actual towns and cities that we live in accurately.

Think how superior 10 pages of threads here are to any National Geographic you've ever read. The anthropological value contained here, documenting the last 15 years, is mind-boggling.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 3:18 AM
Meh

The paintings on my walls are better than your's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Robert Pence
SkyscraperPage needs like buttons.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 8:00 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Unperson View Post
Skybar? general photography? I cant really think of a less suitable place than city discussions.
there's already a place, more or less, the getting to know your SSP photographers thread on General Photography

-

-fflint

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 10:51 AM

Sabotai and it isn't close

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 11:57 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post
There are countless outstanding photographers on this board, but my favorite happens to be a local guy, Ninjatune. He doesn't start many threads around here but he does post are amazing...

Dallas: Since We Last Met
Dallas: Like we used to do.
Storm Chasing

Incidentally, if you're in the Dallas area between now and April 13, Ninjatunes has a solo exhibition at the Kettle Art Gallery in Deep Ellum...

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/mixm...os_of_dall.php
I wish I were in Dallas to see his exhibition. His photos are simply astounding!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 9:58 AM
Paramoderator

I don't feel as if there is one 'best' photographer on this site. Every photographer here has his strengths and weaknesses. There is, however, definitely a 'top tier' of photographers.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 11:00 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I don't feel as if there is one 'best' photographer on this site. Every photographer here has his strengths and weaknesses. There is, however, definitely a 'top tier' of photographers.
I agree. And I think many of us can probably agree on a good number of the "top tier" photographers here on SSP!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:18 PM
Editor

There are plenty of good ones, and most people tend to be drawn to the ones that shoot pics in their region, or by the style of pics that people shoot. From what I've seen, there are about 2 or 3 dozen consistently good photographers.

The thread title should really be "Who are your favourite photographers?"

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharocks View Post
Okayyou. He can do urban, landscape, and people portraits really well.
+1

There are so many good ones, but Okayyou was the latest thread I looked at (Paris).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 6:56 PM
Ex Houstonian

SomeformofHuman is the best technical photographer on this site.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 2:53 AM

I'll always click a photo thread by these guys, no matter what it's about

Okayyou
GiovaniiSasso
Volguus
Flash
Sabotai

Then these guys are the next level down. I'll click them more often than not. These aren't all great photographers (most are), but they almost all find great stuff to photograph.

Kingofthehill
Photolith
Cirrus
KilgoreTrout
Evergrey (love those small town threads)
Toyota74
Raptor

Then there's the post a random photo thread. My jaw drops every time iamhydrogen or someformofhuman post another of their amazing shots. I wish they'd both put out more photothreads.

I'm sure there's many more I'm missing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography