HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 7:59 PM

Vancouver plans to revive Hogan's Alley community with help of American architect

Vancouver plans to revive Hogan's Alley community with help of American architect

listen here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...tect-1.4124087

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 9:19 PM

Sounds just like another SJW justification for creating some far-reaching justification for removing the viaducts.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 3:48 AM

I don't buy it either. Viaducts or no viaducts, we can't restore the black community; what we'll end up with is several overpriced condos which are neither black nor a community.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 4:10 AM

Oh my god, this is an example of Canada wanting to be America

Look, this sounds like some SJW stuff right here. There is no point in bringing this back like it was a couple of houses on a street in Strathcona. There is no actual way this thing can be brought back unless you want some Live Action Role Playing (Larping)

Also, I hate when people say Black """"""""Community"""""""" implying there is one in Vancouver and they all think the same (Groupthink). Vancouver is like less than 1% Black, compared to the Island of Hong Kong being 2.4% White, it's tiny, and most of Black Vancouverites are from Africa instead of the States, so I don't think they care that much about Hogan's Alley being recreated.

Like put a sign or something

Let me guess, Black Lives Matter has something to do with this.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 4:46 AM

Maybe Gregor will get some special visas from his friend Justin to allow special immigration of some black people to create Vision's Fantasyland. Or maybe they can just go all Westworld and do it with robots.

Seriously, this idea is just so stupid. Somebody in Visions' ahem "brain trust" needs to tell them to lay off the sauce.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Maybe Gregor will get some special visas from his friend Justin to allow special immigration of some black people to create Vision's Fantasyland. .
Jebus, this is going down the rabbit-hole fast.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 6:31 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Jebus, this is going down the rabbit-hole fast.
So much for trying...

https://frinkiac.com/gif/S11E15/4701...1FLCBKRUJVUyE=

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 12:33 AM

Jeeez, you guys sure get fired up when black folks get brought up. And you wonder why BLM exists...

Obviously there's huge practical hindrances to reviving a community that was entirely forced out decades ago, but that isn't necessarily what the city is trying to achieve here if you actually listen past the headline. Having the city recognize and take steps to commemorate a historically significant community isn't "SJW stuff", it's basic historical preservation, no different than what they've done in Strathcona or Gastown or anywhere else. You can't walk 10 feet in Yaletown without bumping into some monument or other to the long-gone fisheries and industry there, so what exactly is so uniquely objectionable about Hogan's Alley?

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibleairwaves View Post
Jeeez, you guys sure get fired up when black folks get brought up. And you wonder why BLM exists...

Obviously there's huge practical hindrances to reviving a community that was entirely forced out decades ago, but that isn't necessarily what the city is trying to achieve here if you actually listen past the headline. Having the city recognize and take steps to commemorate a historically significant community isn't "SJW stuff", it's basic historical preservation, no different than what they've done in Strathcona or Gastown or anywhere else. You can't walk 10 feet in Yaletown without bumping into some monument or other to the long-gone fisheries and industry there, so what exactly is so uniquely objectionable about Hogan's Alley?
Agreed. And a negativistic attitude only diminishes a chance for success.
Developing a group dedicated to this would be a start. Generate positive visions and ideas. People may grow up and start appreciating what's left of Vancouver history.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 3:31 AM

Quote:

It has nothing to do with black people and everything to do with Vision's ridiculous obsession with Hogan's Alley, a neighbourhood that disappeared a long time ago. Even without the viaducts it would have gone, as that community was no longer forced to confine themselves to a ghetto. This is just Vision's way to cloak blowing $200 million of taxpayers' money being wasted on removing perfectly good infrastructure under some SJW gobbledygook.

The whole Vancouver BLM is an insult to those groups in the USA bearing the same name. The issues are not even close to being on the same scale. And yet they've managed to chase the VPD from the Pride Parade. Shameful.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Having the city recognize and take steps to commemorate a historically significant community isn't "SJW stuff", it's basic historical preservation, no different than what they've done in Strathcona or Gastown or anywhere else. You can't walk 10 feet in Yaletown without bumping into some monument or other to the long-gone fisheries and industry there, so what exactly is so uniquely objectionable about Hogan's Alley?
Putting up infographics and monuments, absolutely.

Trying to "revive" a long-gone black Canadian suburb in an age of cookie-cutter condos and out-of-control speculation? Pull the other one.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 5:20 AM

Funny how you guys seem to know exactly what the CoV's plans are when they don't even know themselves. It's very early in the process and all they're doing right now is exploring options. And again, it's very weird that this particular neighbourhood brings this much vitriol when the subject of historical preservation comes up. One clumsy headline and it's all "SJWs and BLM trying to ruin everything" in here. I get that the viaduct removal issue is contentious (and it should be) but y'all need to sit back and re-examine exactly what it is you're arguing against, and why.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 5:53 AM

It's not just the title - the interview keeps coming back to "lost culture" and "sense of place" and "resurrect the community..." yeah, you can't really do that when it's going to be two blocks' worth of generic condo space.

Personally, I think some kind of tribute or memorial to the old neighbourhood would be fine, no matter the motive. But Hogan's Alley is gone, and isn't coming back no matter how hard you try. Even if the City could restore the entire pre-viaducts streetscape, they're not going to restore the culture or vibrancy without the old residents (they could, but cultural imitation doesn't usually work well), and they're not going to get the old residents to suddenly uproot their lives again and move back after thirty-plus years to do a "reunion tour."

Put down a few Did You Know? signs and memorial plaques, maybe a statue, and add it to the list of things to put in the tour guide brochure in-between Gastown and Chinatown. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
It's not just the title - the interview keeps coming back to "lost culture" and "sense of place" and "resurrect the community..." yeah, you can't really do that when it's going to be two blocks' worth of generic condo space.

Personally, I think some kind of tribute or memorial to the old neighbourhood would be fine, no matter the motive. But Hogan's Alley is gone, and isn't coming back no matter how hard you try.

Put down a few Did You Know? signs and memorial plaques, maybe a statue, and add it to the list of things to put in the tour guide brochure in-between Gastown and Chinatown. Let sleeping dogs lie.
And there I agree with you. Simply place historical landmarks for long-gone communities as a tribute.

Hell, the much larger "Japantown" has also been long gone in Van City:

http://www.vancouversun.com/Japantow...788/story.html

The two or so blocks of Robson Street, west of Burrard, was always known as "Robson Straße" delineating German links until circa the early 1980's. All traces of same have vanished.

The community of Steveston in Richmond was a major Japanese community until WW2 internment. Don't see any traces of same these days thereto.

Finally, the historic French quarter of Coquitlam, known as Maillardville, has also lost it's heritage long ago.

I trust that I am making my above points quite clear in comparison.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 6:24 AM

Where is the love for a revival of Japantown ?

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Where is the love for a revival of Japantown ?
Really good question as you can see parallels/contrasts with hogans alley. aside from the historic japanese language school and the seasonal powell street festival i am unsure if there is any ongoing japanese population or presence in japantown. even the new nikkei centre/seniors home/museum is located in burnaby. and I'm pretty sure there is no current effort to settle japanese people back to japantown. What makes a community and its history? How do you acknowledge history? Who has "more" claim to history and who decides it?

It sounds like everyone here supports the idea of some sort of historical memorial at hogans alley. otherwise maybe wait for a fuller concept to review.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 8:36 PM

If we end up with something interesting to look at, like some good architecture or whatever, i'm all for it.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 9:08 PM

I also think a plaque is all that is needed and that this is just a BS excuse for vision to justify their insane plans to tear down he viaducts.

However if we do get something cool out of the deal, I'll agree with it, seems fair.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 10:12 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

When they put up the plaques and interpretive photos of historic Hogan's Alley, I hope they also put up plaques and interpretive photos of the viaducts to show what it was like before they created the huge traffic jam.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 11:33 PM

The huge traffic jams are already there. Main and Terminal is already a mess. Going up Main Street towards Broadway already takes forever. Prior Street already crawls along. How could taking down the viaducts possibly make things worse?Unless you think more cars are going to magically appear once the viaducts are gone.

There will be more volume along new Pacific, consequently there will be less volume up stream. The traffic load is more evenly spread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues