HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:38 PM
BANNED

I've read about that algae stuff. How are you involved in it?

My problem with alternate forms of energy like oil from Algae and biodiesel are that they don't solve the problem of emissions. You are still burning something and putting carbon into the atmosphere. I think that, in the long run, the only solution to energy problems will be nuclear fission or, if we figure it out fusion. I mean even hydrogen fuel is useless without a carbon free method of generating the electricity needed to procure the massive amounts of pure hydrogen...

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 12:33 PM
Man on a mission

The point with algae and biodiesel is it is a zero carbon energy. The amount of carbon you put into the atmosphere is the same as the amount you took out to produce the algae. Therefore you aren't making the problem anyworse. If all energy was produced this way or other renewable source the atmosphere would be able to clean itself up because it would have a net negative carbon footprint.

Secondly energy produce with algae is free of many other harmful emission such as sulfer etc.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 2:16 AM
Registered

Here is a "cool" diagram of the Enwave system .... and a little bump for an important topic.

http://archrecord.construction.com/g...N605K302Q9KmX0

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 11:31 PM
BANNED

Haha, nice pun.

Anyhow, did you see how much energy this saves? 90% energy savings? Holy crap, who needs alternative energy when you can save 90% in the first place! Its more effective than I thought.

I badly want a system like this for Chicago or Milwaukee.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 12:32 AM
BANNED

Here are some pictures from HarryC that show the construction and installation of the Water intake for 300 N. LaSalle's water cooling system, it has a pretty neat looking way of filtering the water.

Filter thingy...

Hole for filter thingy... (I think, correct me if I'm wrong harry)

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 1:56 AM
BANNED

BNK posted this in the Chicago General Developments thread, its about that geothermal lake in Eglin. Extremely relevant to this thread so I posted it here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Some nice green work where I work

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=209060&src=5

Lake to heat, cool Elgin's Sherman Hospital

Sherman Hospital in Elgin is building the nation's largest geothermal lake to heat and cool the $310 million facility.

Workers lay loops of two-inch pipe in the lake Tuesday. About 150 miles of pipe will rest on the lake's bottom.

By Harry Hitzeman | Daily Herald Staff

Published: 6/18/2008 12:07 AM

Long before gasoline topped $4 a gallon and "going green" became chic, Sherman Health officials made the environment and efficiency a priority.

Tuesday afternoon, hospital officials showcased a 15-acre geothermal lake -- the largest in the nation -- that will heat and cool the 225-bed facility under construction at Big Timber and Randall roads in Elgin.

The system will save an estimated $1 million a year in energy costs and ultimately contain about 150 miles of looped tubes at the bottom of an 18-foot-deep lake.

"It doesn't get any greener than this," said Warren Lloyd, vice president at the Rock Island-based KJWW Engineering Consultants, which designed Sherman's lake.

In the winter, the system and its geothermal heat pumps will pull the Earth's natural heat from the lake into the $310 million facility.

A mixture of water and non-toxic antifreeze circulates through the loop and carries the heat to the hospital.

Then an electric-powered compressor and a heat exchanger will concentrate the energy into heat that is later blown through vents just like a furnace.

But unlike a furnace, no natural gas is burned.

"The hospital is heating itself. That's a strange thing to say, but it's part of the energy savings," said Charles Burnidge, an Elgin architect and member of Sherman's board of directors.

Burnidge said Sherman officials explored and chose the geothermal option long before the first shovel was planted in June 2006.

Burnidge also noted all of the private rooms have a view of the nearby forest and lake, which will be surrounded by a walking path and stocked with fish.

In the summer, the system is reversed.

The loops draw excess heat from the building and allow it to be absorbed by the lake water. It's more efficient than a traditional air-conditioner.

The system cools in the same way that a refrigerator keeps food cool -- by drawing heat from the interior, not by blowing in cold air, said John Kelly, executive director Of the Washington, D.C.-based Geothermal Heat Pump Consortium Inc.

"People don't understand how the system works. It seems like magic, but it's really not," Kelly said.

Tuesday, crews in rafts installed a few of the nearly 2,500 loops in the lake.

This work will be completed in about six weeks; the hospital is slated to open in late 2009.

Christine Priester, Sherman spokeswoman, said students will be able to take field trips to learn how the geothermal lake works after the hospital is completed in late 2009.

"We have people calling (us) from all over the world. There's a hospital in Nigeria looking to take a tour because they're thinking about this as well," she said.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/c...AN_S1.article#

Cool project heating up at new Sherman site
Sherman uses man-made lake for heat, cooling

June 18, 2008

By CIGI ROSS Staff Writer
ELGIN -- Sherman Hospital took another step toward completion of its economically friendly new building at Randall and Big Timber roads on Tuesday.

http://www.thefutureofsherman.com/ga...w.php?id=jun08

http://www.thefutureofsherman.com/energy_faq.php

Sherman's geothermal lake will be one of the largest - if not the largest -lake loop heat-pump systems in the world.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 2:34 PM

Chicago - River

June 23 Watergate (used to remove large stuff from the water intake for the rive water cooling ).
A real surprise outside of my window, I thought this had been delivered and installed a month ago.

Turns out that was just a check for sizing, it has been stored in Wisconsin since then.

Removing the shipping frame - 1/2" (?) angle irons securely bolted on.

June 24

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering