HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I've heard the beaches in california are pretty gross. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who said to avoid the beaches in california because you'd get sick.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:18 PM

Same, I watched a PBS doc on Los Angeles area beaches once in 2005. In a short summary it's an irredeemable radioactive cesspool that will never recover. I would NOT dip my paws or allow my precious kiddos in those deathly waters. I much prefer piss filled chlorine eye-burning pool water.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:22 PM

Steely has been pretty funny in this thread.

(Parts of) Southern California: the big lie is bikinis surfing (movies etc). Spent many trips and months in Del Mar (San Diego-ish). Never saw a surfer without a wet suit (I sure wore one).

Ocean currents are to blame apparently but supposedly there is a month or so when the ocean warms up after June gloom.

I did find warmish water in L.A. once.

Florida/Atlantic beaches win on the comfort zone scale... but then there's the hurricane quotient.

Pick ur beach paradise ;-) Chicago? San Diego? Miami Beach?

I'd choose Italy (Amalfi) which I admit is not in North America.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:27 PM
A Man In Dandism

Interesting.

In Illinois, the top 10 "unsafe" beaches were considered unsafe for a range of 84-96% of sampling days. On average, Cook County beaches were considered unsafe for a staggering 83% of sampling days.

In California, the top 10 "unsafe" beaches had a wide range of unsafe sampling days, at 17-91%. The county with the highest % of unsafe sampling days was San Mateo County at 32%. LA County actually did quite well, with only 10% of sampling days being considered unsafe.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ faulty methodology used in that study.

Quote:
"The Chicago Park District tested 19 lakefront beaches for Enterococci bacteria seven days a week during the 2018 beach season using a rapid analysis method, and not the culture-based method cited in the report," the statement read. "The rapid analysis method looks for DNA in the water instead of counting live bacteria cells, and produces results in 2-4 hours instead of 18-24 hours.

"Unfortunately the report evaluated Chicago beach data using the wrong unit of measurement," the statement continued. "When using the correct unit of measurement, South Shore Beach, for example, had 26 exceedance days out of 100 sampling days for the 2018 beach season, and not 93 days out of 98 samples, as the report cites."

The Park District also said Chicago is the "only major city that performs same-day, DNA-based recreational water quality monitoring in the United States," according to the statement.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:37 PM

Of course Lake Michigan is dirtier than the Pacific Ocean. It’s both much smaller and it’s fresh water.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:47 PM

The Pacific Ocean is filled with plastic heaps the size of Texas in two places. I would never swim in the Pacific because I could swallow plastic particles and they would poison me or get caught in my organs and I would die or a plastic bag would get stuck on my head and I would suffocate and die or a sharp shard of plastic could be carried by a wave and cut me and I would bleed and it would attract sharks and they would be attracted by my blood in the water and they would attack me and eat me and I would die. Scary!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:06 PM
Back on the road again

I was just about to unsubscribe to this thread but it keeps getting better and better....

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:21 PM

I only swim in the bathtub and even then I use generous amounts of chlorine.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:25 PM
Dryer lint inspector

For all you people freaking out over e.coli, amoebas, sharks and plastic...go to the pool! Oh wait, people piss there...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ that's why we only go to Pi Pi's Splashtown.

they test their water, so they know it's 100% piss.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:39 PM

There's nothing I find more refreshing on a 95-degree summer's day than diving into an "extra warm" public swimming pool, especially later in the afternoon once the surface of the water has that beautiful oily shimmer of sunscreen, hair, and bodily fluids on it.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 7:10 PM
All man. Half nuts.

I'm never swimming again.

ever.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 9:24 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Of course Lake Michigan is dirtier than the Pacific Ocean. It’s both much smaller and it’s fresh water.
I have never been in the water in Chicago, but I can say for certain the Pacific, just five miles from where I'm typing this, is filthy.

It's filthy at the shore, and it's filthy way out where most of us never see it. That guy who recently paddle boarded from San Francisco to Hawaii said he saw floating plastic the entire way (that's some 2,300+ miles). One can only imagine what the water, air, and sun are breaking that plastic down into.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Same, I watched a PBS doc on Los Angeles area beaches once in 2005. In a short summary it's an irredeemable radioactive cesspool that will never recover. I would NOT dip my paws or allow my precious kiddos in those deathly waters. I much prefer piss filled chlorine eye-burning pool water.
God you're pathetic.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
The Pacific Ocean is filled with plastic heaps the size of Texas in two places. I would never swim in the Pacific because I could swallow plastic particles and they would poison me or get caught in my organs and I would die or a plastic bag would get stuck on my head and I would suffocate and die or a sharp shard of plastic could be carried by a wave and cut me and I would bleed and it would attract sharks and they would be attracted by my blood in the water and they would attack me and eat me and I would die. Scary!
Florida has flesh eating bacteria off its beaches.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Florida has flesh eating bacteria off its beaches.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 5:55 AM

Meh. Like showering in a developing country, just keep your eyes and mouth closed underwater and you’ll be fine.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 1:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Steely has been pretty funny in this thread.

(Parts of) Southern California: the big lie is bikinis surfing (movies etc). Spent many trips and months in Del Mar (San Diego-ish). Never saw a surfer without a wet suit (I sure wore one).

Ocean currents are to blame apparently but supposedly there is a month or so when the ocean warms up after June gloom.

I did find warmish water in L.A. once.

Florida/Atlantic beaches win on the comfort zone scale... but then there's the hurricane quotient.

Pick ur beach paradise ;-) Chicago? San Diego? Miami Beach?

I'd choose Italy (Amalfi) which I admit is not in North America.
California waters are cold, they're not like the East Coast south of Long Island.

Most years you don't need a wet suit from mid July - September. The nice thing about a wet suit is you don't have to worry about a sun burn.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
California waters are cold
And that's a good thing. That's what keeps us from getting hurricanes.

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions