HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 12:42 AM

Growing Skylines of the Slavic World!

While the West is increasingly stagnant....a new power is rising in the East

Just a little taste of what is coming...

BRATISLAVA

DNIPROPETROVSK

DONETSK

GDYNIA

KIEV

MINSK

MOSCOW

PETROGRAD

POZNAN

PRAGUE

SARAJEVO

ZAGREB

WARSAW

WROCLAW

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 12:48 AM
fried white rice

Seems like Gdynia is about to beat the crap out of Dubai and Shanghai soon

Some of these cities do really have som nice stuff going on but your "Slavic world" just sounds a little funny
Bratislava (or Warsaw) and Moscow (as both being Slavic) have as much in common as Frankfurt and Mumbai

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 1:27 AM

I don't know about Bratislava/Warsaw and Moscow, but I can speak for Bratislava/Warsaw and Belgrade.

Actually, I just came back from a trip to the cities of Western Slavic states(Warsaw, Gdansk, Gdynia, Krakow, Zakopane, Prague, Karlovy Vary, Bratislava) and I will tell you right now, it was a little creepy how small the differences were. In Bratislava & Prague I felt like I was in Serbia(from peoples faces, to womans beauty and the quality of beer, everything was more or less same)

In Poland, where at first glance the local language seems the most complicated and different from Serbian (compared to Polish language, Czech & especially Slovakian are like dialects of Serbian or vice versa) , we realized that its not so different after all - its just that Poles apparently never had someone like our Vuk Karadjic to simplify their language a bit like we did

Few people in Poland speak english, but it didn't matter to my friends and me...we conducted most of our conversations in Serbian, from ordering food in restaurants to buying train/bus tickets.

We're more similar than some would like to believe. The common mistake people can make is confuse the silly politics of the day with the real & sincere situation on the ground.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 2:05 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post

Some of these cities do really have som nice stuff going on but your "Slavic world" just sounds a little funny
Bratislava (or Warsaw) and Moscow (as both being Slavic) have as much in common as Frankfurt and Mumbai
Not sure what you mean Jonas. If you mean cultural/language differences - Slavic languages differ a less among themselves than Anglo-Saxon group for instance. On simplest subjects Slavs can always communicate if they wish. Being a Russian I can listen to Polish radio and grasp what they are talking about. Many Russians find Bulgarian easy. Belorussian, Ukranian and Russian differ from each other on the border of being distant dialects. Pretty much any Slavic person, if moving to another Slavic country will start speaking local language in a matter of a few weeks. I doubt a German can easily pick up local languages of Mumbai.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 10:33 AM
fried white rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
Not sure what you mean Jonas. If you mean cultural/language differences - Slavic languages differ a less among themselves than Anglo-Saxon group for instance. On simplest subjects Slavs can always communicate if they wish. Being a Russian I can listen to Polish radio and grasp what they are talking about. Many Russians find Bulgarian easy. Belorussian, Ukranian and Russian differ from each other on the border of being distant dialects. Pretty much any Slavic person, if moving to another Slavic country will start speaking local language in a matter of a few weeks. I doubt a German can easily pick up local languages of Mumbai.
Oh no, I don't mean the language. I can speak Russian myself and despite I've never heard Bulgarian language before, I can catch what my Bulgarian friends speak among themselves in Bulgarian... and they can speak Russian even though they've never even been to Russia and don't know that much about it.
What I mean is cultural differences. Czech Republic, for instance, has perhaps much more in common with Germany or Hungary regarding its culture, history and traditions than it has with it's "Slavic brothers" Russia or Ukraine... perhaps no even need to mention the Balkans (take Croatia and Serbia... their language is virtually identical but that's where the similarities and the friendship ends).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 10:36 AM
fried white rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrbijaCG View Post

We're more similar than some would like to believe. The common mistake people can make is confuse the silly politics of the day with the real & sincere situation on the ground.
There's no such thing as sincere situation on the ground. The world is turning around fuelled with money, politics and national interests. It's always been like that and will always be.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 2:14 PM
perfidus acutus

"Slavic world" sounds like Russian imperialist stuff and rationalisation why we should stick together under the very specific leadership

I like Russians a lot, so please Russians, don't abuse me

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 11:52 PM
Information Age

It's nice to see Slavic cities' skylines growing!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 1:34 AM
maverick

Quote:
Oh no, I don't mean the language. I can speak Russian myself and despite I've never heard Bulgarian language before, I can catch what my Bulgarian friends speak among themselves in Bulgarian... and they can speak Russian even though they've never even been to Russia and don't know that much about it.
What I mean is cultural differences. Czech Republic, for instance, has perhaps much more in common with Germany or Hungary regarding its culture, history and traditions than it has with it's "Slavic brothers" Russia or Ukraine... perhaps no even need to mention the Balkans (take Croatia and Serbia... their language is virtually identical but that's where the similarities and the friendship ends).
Some Slavs adopted latin spelling and Catholic or Protestant Church, other use cyrillic/Orthodox Church. But so what? If I read your post correctly, you suggest that Slavic world is culturally diverse. I concur. To me, however, it does not mean that it does not exist.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 1:59 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by asasello_krakow View Post
"Slavic world" sounds like Russian imperialist stuff and rationalisation why we should stick together under the very specific leadership

I like Russians a lot, so please Russians, don't abuse me
asasello, I am not sure what the cause of the inner insecurity that you reveal is, but IMO the times of dreams of a panslavic state are long over (about 150 years or so over).

I am glad to hear that you resent sticking together under leadership of an imperialist state. When more people in Poland begin thinking like you, maybe Poland will reevaluate it's foreign policy.

Last edited by anm; Aug 9, 2007 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 4:12 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

My family came to the US from the Slavic World!! (Czech) So I see the motherland is growing fast nowadays and it looks very impressive. Someday I hope to visit those beautiful cities and places.

Good thread! This is very helpful the way you put all these nice pics in one convenient thread.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 6:47 PM

Appreciate the excellent photos but you need to stop the ever present trollism...
"Increasingly stagnant west"? Yeah tell that to London, Paris, Madrid, Milan, Barcelona, etc etc

Also cut it out with this "Slavic world" crap. Leave that shit on the "other" forum.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
My family came to the US from the Slavic World!! (Czech) So I see the motherland is growing fast nowadays and it looks very impressive. Someday I hope to visit those beautiful cities and places.

Good thread! This is very helpful the way you put all these nice pics in one convenient thread.
Thank you, much appreciated.
Don't wait too long to visit these places and get in touch with your Slavic heritage...its all really easy and affordable right now.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 9:18 PM

The city of Dnipropetrovsk in Ukraine will be one to watch in the coming years

Very nice Shanghai-like setting for future skyscrapers - its good that most major Slavic cities are situated on large European rivers!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 11:48 AM

Bratislava, current skyline of CBD and the most important bridge at Danube port

The same view including 200 m Kamzik TV tower

Castle, New Bridge (95 m) and Aupark Tower (96 m)

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 12:02 AM
touch the heavens!

Quote:

That's Right Or Little Less. The corresponding languages are similar. I can order a beer in a pub in most of these cities just speaking Polish. And, BTW, I do not suppose you have ever visited Bratislava, Moscow, Frankfurt or Mumbai to back up your claims, have you?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 4:16 PM

Why not just call the thread " Growing Skylines of Eastern Europe"?

Great pictures! Very interesting to see this part of the world! Thank you.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
Why not just call the thread " Growing Skylines of Eastern Europe"?

Great pictures! Very interesting to see this part of the world! Thank you.
I see you don't know SrbijaCG/Kommandant mark/CrazySerb.

That would be too untroll-like for him...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 4:16 PM

Why would I call it "Eastern Europe"?
Eastern Europe is a huge place, and includes countries like Albania, Turkey, Georgia, Moldova, Hungary, etc.

Me, I'm a lazy guy....I just wanted to include cities where I could go, tomorrow if I so wished, and not bother myself with learning another language just to get by/around. Forget that, i'm too old for that stuff.

As a Belgrader, it doesn't really matter whether i'm visiting Moscow or Warsaw, Sofia or Prague, Ljubljana or Minsk....wherever I go, I would feel like I never left my city

Thats why I call it Slavic World and thats the way I like it.

@SHIRO...Please ignore me and i'll continue to ignore you

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 8:25 PM

Quote:
So what about these pics? (Remember is just the starting point for towers in Gdansk metropolis, there are already projects for dozen towers over 100m, including 165m, 182m and 202m)

May '07

July '07 (from investor's site):

And current design:

Quote:
I guess the notion of "slavic world" will be always funny for non-Slavs. For me there's nothing wrong in the "Slavic world" as long as there'll be no country claiming leadership of it (there are many similarities even after over 1000 years of separation, we just are not fully Christianized yet and looking on the West I guess we will never be ).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe