HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > India

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 1:07 PM

International hospitality management institute to be established in Kozhikode!

http://manoramanews.manoramaonline.c...gramId=1186580

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:33 AM
calicutite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNik View Post
Good realisation though late.
I am sure if Kozhikode had the first IT park in the state Kerala it would definitely
not have been the slowest growing IT park and take 15 years just to export Rs 650 cr.
renik i can understand u,i am now at kochi and know the difficulties of its citizens...govt is having a stepmother type of mentality towards kochi and calicut which are the cities generating major part of state revenue,and there is no other city in kerala to match kochi in its development and we must be proud of it...i have travelled from top to bottum of the state...trivandrum is a beautiful city but it is rather a sleepy city when compared to kochi and calicut where there is a good night life, where people flok into the city for shopping,dinner parties etc.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:59 AM
calicutite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNik View Post

Bryce Edwards gallery
this picture i think is taken from the top of hotel Manuelsons malabarpalace.
the blue building seen in the pic is LIC building..the first skyscraper in calicut made in early 1970's..nice pic renik...then tat skyline i have already sent..

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:40 AM
calicutite

city scape apartments coming off mavoor road 15 stories by malabarhilite builders

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 11:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjupalayat View Post
renik i can understand u,i am now at kochi and know the difficulties of its citizens...govt is having a stepmother type of mentality towards kochi and calicut which are the cities generating major part of state revenue,and there is no other city in kerala to match kochi in its development and we must be proud of it...i have travelled from top to bottum of the state...trivandrum is a beautiful city but it is rather a sleepy city when compared to kochi and calicut where there is a good night life, where people flok into the city for shopping,dinner parties etc.
I had only mentioned a known fact. Without having any govt pampering Kochi and Calicut grew. If it were not a capital the only organisation that would exist in Trivandrum will be ISRO - which needs deserted places for launching sites.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 11:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:

city scape apartments coming off mavoor road 15 stories by malabarhilite builders
Do you know, what exactly is the status with FAR (floor area ratio) in Calicut.
There is a controversy in Kochi. These are usually decided by dumbos in the govt
and there is a raging opposition from almost all quarters in Kochi. The planners who are supposed to plan, but these parasites who
eats people's tax money instead puke out some moronic restrictions in the guise of "plans". Hardly have they spelt
out a plan for road/transport development.
The booming real estate scenario has not seen a launch for past one month due to this uncertainty.
Is there a similar problem in Calicut ? Govt will surely have to retreat from its stupid stand.

Last edited by ReNik; Jan 28, 2007 at 11:31 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:50 AM
calicutite

i think it is still the same renik FAR 4..I heard the news about the news tat FAR is down sized to 1.25...in cochin...tat is really pathetic renik

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 6:22 AM
calicutite

kozhikode to be the next IT destination

Kozhikode, Jan 26 (IANS) Six high profile institutions in Kerala have come together to ensure that this north Kerala city becomes the next big IT destination in the state after Thiruvananthapuram and Kochi.

The core group working towards a cyber park in Kozhikode consists of the Malabar Chamber of Commerce (MCC), Indian Institute of Management-Kozhikode (IIM-K), National Institute of Technology (formerly Regional Engineering College-Kozhikode), Kerala Builders Forum, the IT Forum of Kozhikode and the Calicut Management Association.

The project has the backing of the state government, said P. Zakeer, MCC president and secretary of the Calicut IT initiative (CITI).

"We had a full-fledged discussion with the special IT team of the government led by IT secretary K. Jyothilal. Things are on the right track. The government is fully convinced that Kozhikode has the potential to become Kerala's latest IT destination," Zakeer told IANS.

Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan, who handles the IT portfolio, last week came out with a draft IT policy and also stressed that the district would be promoted in a big way and infrastructure developed too.

Leading IT companies operating from IT hubs Technopark in Thiruvananthapuram and Infopark at Kochi have also expressed their support for the venture.

"IBS, US Technology and NeST have all assured us that they would be the first to set up operations as and when Cyber Park becomes a reality," said Zakeer.

"We are now looking for a 100 acre plot of land, hopefully near the airport. Since the state industries minister (Elamaram Karim) hails from Kozhikode, we are certain that things will move in the right direction and at a faster pace."

Also boosting chances of the project seeing light of day are the large number of NRIs from Kozhikode who would be only too willing to chip in with funds to ensure speedy take off.

--Indo-Asian News Service

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 1:53 PM
BANNED

If anybody wants to comment on/question any of the
posts/comments it can be done at India exchanges thread under Asia-Pacific now
onwards. Please avoid using showcase forums for long drawn out arguments which
are boring to many.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 9:56 AM
calicutite

nik do u have any idea regarding the news..HP planning to start a new campus near to calicut airport?i wanted to know whether they shifted to kochi or what...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 12:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
nik do u have any idea regarding the news..HP planning to start a new campus near to calicut airport?i wanted to know whether they shifted to kochi or what...
But HP's proposal was in Kochi right from the beginning, I mean, it was not shifted or anything. (They are starting at L&T tech park and plan to shift to their own campus). Probably you meant the HCL proposal, which minister Elamaram Kareem mentioned last month or so. They were considering Calicut and Kochi. I don't know any details, if you have any info do post it here.

Last edited by ReNik; Jan 30, 2007 at 12:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 4:19 AM
calicutite

i heard that HP is going to start function in kinfra neospace park near to calicut now and will shift to a new campus build some where near to calicut airport...i have read in the news papers...if u get any information regarding that plz inform.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
i heard that HP is going to start function in kinfra neospace park near to calicut now and will shift to a new campus build some where near to calicut airport...i have read in the news papers...if u get any information regarding that plz inform.
HP announced its plans to take up L&T tech park for its software development centre last year itself. Since L&T Infotech has also announced its entry, HP will take up a few floors in the building and later move to their own campus.

( It is there in Kochi thread I posted it again two days back when somebody cought the info there- it will be better if I don't post it here as it is not related to this forum).

That HCL is looking for space in Kozhikode (even if they start operations in Kochi ) is what i understood from the news I read in a malayalam daily).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 8:36 PM

Hospitality school a boost to district’s higher education dreams
Monday January 29 2007 11:24 IST

KOZHIKODE: The proposed International Hospitality Management Institute will help Kozhikode in its endeavor to emerge as a hub of higher education. The hospitality school will be the latest to join IIM, NIT and School of Mathematics here.

State Tourism Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan announced in New Delhi last week that the Centre has given the green signal for establishing the institute, first of its kind in Kerala. Tourism Department had submitted to the Union Tourism Ministry, a preliminary project report on the institute.

Department sources told this website's newspaper that a rough estimate shows the institute will require an investment of Rs 40 crore. The property owned by the defunct public sector Kerala Soaps and Oils Limited, Kozhikode, is under consideration for housing the institute.

Sources said the institute, which will require 5 acre at the initial stage, will be a joint venture with public-private participation. The government plans to rope in leading players in the tourism and hotel industry to ensure better industry-institute interaction, a key factor in any management education.

Sources said the institute will conduct high end courses in hospitality management. Presence of an IIM in Kozhikode will be another advantage for the institute.

“Though Kozhikode is not a major tourism hub in South India, we are confident of winning support from the industry and external faculty. An active industry participation will make training and placement of students more effective,” sources said.

Discussions with leading national and international hospitality players on investment and academic matters will begin only after the detailed project report, to be prepared by a consultant, is ready.

The government plans to retain 51 pc stake in the institute, which will be dedicated for running high-end programmes and academic activities, including consultancy. It will have courses in all branches of tourism and hospitality industry.

Models of similar institutes in India and abroad will be studied, before shaping the structure of the institute. National Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management, Hyderabad, is a prominent institute in this sector.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:53 AM
calicutite

IIMK

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:57 AM
calicutite

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 8:52 AM

Kerala plans IT park in Kozhikode

Thiruvananthapuram Feb. 1 The Kerala Government will set up an information technology (IT) park in Kozhikode.

State Chief Minister Mr V.S. Achuthanandan had recently announced the government's intention to establish such a facility. The proposed IT park is likely to be developed on the lines of Technopark, Thiruvananthapuram.

According to Mr K.R. Jyothilal, Director, Kerala State IT Mission and Special Secretary Department of Information Technology, Government of Kerala discussions have already been held with various industry stakeholders on the proposed technology park in Kozhikode. Several IT companies have expressed interest in starting operations at this facility, he added.

A few sites around Kozhikode have been identified and a final decision on the IT park's location is expected in the next few weeks, he added.

Meanwhile, the State Government is also considering a proposal to set up a technology park in Palakkad district in response to a demand from several large IT companies.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 9:28 AM
calicutite

bringing IT to palakkad is a good decision....i think it is one of the industrially advanced districts in kerala.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 8:08 AM
calicutite

sarovaram project

KOZHIKODE: The long-awaited Sarovaram tourism project (till recently known as Swapna Nagari project) is ready for launch, said Minister for Tourism Kodiyeri Balakrishnan at a programme held here on Saturday to install office-bearers of the Calicut Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCCI).

Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan would lay the stone for the project on February 6, the Minister said. He said the project would be one of the several programmes the LDF Government intended to launch in the coming days to give a boost to development of tourism in North Kerala. He said Swapna Nagari (since renamed Sarovaram) project was delayed as the officials concerned repeatedly raised objections against its implementation.

The Minister was speaking at a function to install publisher N.E. Balakrishnan Marar as president and P.T.S. Unni as honorary secretary of CCCI.

Programmes aimed at the development of Wayanad as a major tourism destination were also in the pipeline. Wayanad would be developed as a major tourism centre like Idukki, he said.

He said home-stay accommodation facilities should be improved in Wayanad where there was a large turnout of foreign tourists. The Government had offered 15 per cent subsidy on investments in the tourism sector with a view to encouraging tourism development in north Kerala. In the rest of Kerala, it was only 10 per cent, he said at a function to install publisher N.E. Balakrishnan Marar as president and P.T.S. Unni as honorary secretary of CCCI.

The Minister also stated that the government would try to evolve a consensus to exempt the tourism sector from hartals.

Emphasising the LDF Government's commitment to retain the presence of the Government-owned Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC) sector while encouraging private investments in the tourism sector, the Minister said a Kerala House would soon be constructed in Chennai .

The Minister also said planners should think big when it came to development. "We are only talking about doubling of rail track. We should be asking for development of four-lane railway tracks," he remarked.

The Minister's announcements on tourism development in North Kerala came in response to suggestions for development of the region placed before the Minister in a memorandum by CCCI at the function. Minister for Forests Benoy Viswom; A.Pradeep Kumar and M.K. Premnath, MLAs also spoke at the function.

Shortly after taking over as the CCCI president , Mr. Balakrishna Marar said he would try to improve facilities at Kozhikode Medical College and establish new premises for CCCI., besides seeking solutions to people's problems.

Among the demands that the CCCI has made in its memorandum to the Minister is for a separate Minister for commerce in the State to take special care of issues of the merchant community.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 10:40 AM
calicutite

West Coast Highway from Ponnani to Calicut
Conceptual Alignment
A two lane Highway connecting Ponnani (Malappuram District) and Vengalam (North of Kozhikkode)
Reduces the travel distance between the two major cities, Cochin and Calicut by 25 kms.
An alternative to N H 17 which is of poor geometry and highly congested with heavy traffic.
Minor Ports of Ponnani and Beypore gets connected to Cochin and Calicut by the shortest route.
Total length of the proposed road is 70.4 kms
Estimated cost of the project is Rs. 3401.4 Million.
Allignment finalised, planting of bountary stones completed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > India