HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 12:41 AM
Closed account

Detailed Austin economic data.

Found this website while doing some research. It has some interesting information about the Austin economy. I thought some may find it interesting and/or useful.

One specific piece of data was very interesting to me. In 2006, there were 37,489 businesses in the Austin MSA. 31,858 of those were businesses with less than 20 people employed. 4,701 businesses had between 20 and 99 employess. 834 businesses had between 100 and 499 employees, and 96 businesses had 500 or more employees.

I also found this pie chart interesting. Austin really does seem to have a quite diversified economy.

Did you guys realize how many patents are issued yearly out of Austin?

http://www.austinchamber.com/DoBusin.../business.html

Last edited by Scottolini; Apr 13, 2009 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 1:02 AM
Closed account

Here's a link showing a map of the top 100 major employers in Greater Austin, and how many employees for each company. The concentration of major employers in North Austin is impressive.

http://www.austinchamber.com/DoBusin..._Employers.pdf

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 3:35 PM

Those are only private-sector employment figures; they do not include AISD, COA, TC, the state, UT, etc.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 3:55 PM
Bears of antiquity

Your chamber of commerce website is probably one of the better sites in the country. Seattle's says, basically, "we have major corporations operating in the area, and we're a relatively affluent region."

I like charts. CoC fail.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 6:32 PM
Closed account

Some good news for Austin economically speaking.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 1:28pm CDT | Modified: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 2:06pm
Austin ranks No. 1 for job growth potential
Austin Business Journal

Texas dominates a new list on job growth potential among the nation’s largest metropolitan areas.

Austin ranks No. 1 on the list of big cities for employment potential from NewGeography.com. The Capital City posted modest job growth of just 1 percent in 2008—but that was still better than a lot of other big cities. That growth, coupled with Austin’s long-term potential to continue creating new jobs, garnered it the top spot.

Texas’ major metros round out the top five spots on the big cities list, with Houston coming in 2nd, San Antonio 3rd, Fort Worth-Arlington 4th and Dallas 5th.

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin...l?surround=lfn

Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Relocation.com: Texas showing steady in-migration despite recession
Austin Business Journal

A new report from online consumer resource group Relocation.com backs up recent Census data showing that Texas, and more specifically Austin, continue to see a population influx as people move from other parts of the country being more seriously affected by the recession.

The report, which analyzes interstate moves involving Texas from the beginning of 2007 through the first quarter of 2009, shows that 62 percent of such moves over the 27-month period were people moving to Texas, while just 38 percent were leaving. For 2008, Texas ranked fourth in the country for percentage of moves into the state.

On a per-capita basis, Austin was by far the most popular city in Texas to move to during the analyzed period. Sixty percent of moving requests involved people looking to move to Austin, while 40 percent were people looking to move out of the city.

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin...l?surround=lfn

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 5:37 PM

Great data Scott!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 6:40 AM

Proud To Be A Texan

Click on the link below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC16-4fh-Qc

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 6:15 PM
Closed account

The Austin market has 42,784,809 square feet of office space in 543 buildings. The overall vacancy rate is 21.3%. There is 404,876 square feet of office space under construction, of which 72% is pre-leased. Class A office space is renting for $28.49/sq. foot.

The breakdown:

CBD: 8,734,763 sq. ft. - 61 buildings - 14.2% vacancy - 0 u/c - $38.14 per sq. ft.

Non-CBD: 34,050,046 sq. ft. - 482 buildings - 23.1% vacancy - 404,876 sq. ft. u/c (72% pre-leased) - $27.24 per sq. ft.

http://www.oxfordcommercial.com/news...news.Q2-09.pdf

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 6:48 PM
Closed account

I also might add that the CBD is only the second largest office submarket in greater Austin. The Far Northwest submarket is the largest with 12,433,137 sq. ft. in 152 buildings. This area does have a 23.9% vacancy rate, with 75,509 sq. feet under construction. Class A space is renting for $27.34 sq. ft.

I was surprised to see it has more office space, but if you look at the map in the link I provided, you'll see the Far Northwest submarket covers a huge area compared to the CBD. This area also has a lot of high-tech company's campus style office complexes.

Last edited by Scottolini; Jul 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 10:34 PM

Just heard on KVUE that Samsung is closing their plant in NE Austin...This can't be good yet the "talking heads" said it was good news...WTF
"

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Just heard on KVUE that Samsung is closing their plant in NE Austin...This can't be good yet the "talking heads" said it was good news...WTF
"
They are spending 500m to retool it into a modern fabrication plant.

I don't like the cut of 500 jobs and hiring of 150 - 200. That's a pretty big net loss but they say the new Jobs will be higher paid technical/engineering jobs.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 2:56 AM

I hate to sound like a pessimist but I'm cautious about "big tech" and their claims...Several decades at IBM ,seeing virtually every value the company stood for, tossed out like the morning trash will make one skeptical. Time will tell...I don't trust the "crooked E" either....I'm not talking about Enron, wink wink.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 5:58 AM

Quote:
I hate to sound like a pessimist but I'm cautious about "big tech" and their claims...Several decades at IBM ,seeing virtually every value the company stood for, tossed out like the morning trash will make one skeptical. Time will tell...I don't trust the "crooked E" either....I'm not talking about Enron, wink wink.
I was one of the tossed out after 27 years at IBM, most of my friends who are still in High Tech are nervously clinging on to their jobs. I'm now in retail and I'm nervously clinging on to my job, again. With better automation, scale backs, over seas job transfers, and a weak economy, no sector is safe except for maybe auto repair and the medical field. Still, can't blame big tech for putting positive spins on their claims, otherwise they could never get their projects off the ground.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 8:12 PM
Closed account

Quote:
"
What kind of post is this? First off, Samsung has two plants in NE Austin. One was a billion dollar plant built just a couple of years ago. The other one is the older plant which will be closed for a year while a 500 million dollar upgrade is done to make it a modern, efficient factory. 700 construction jobs will be created, a half billion dollar investment in an aging factory, and then they're going to rehire about 200 employees for the upgraded plant. Hell yes it's good news!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
What kind of post is this? First off, Samsung has two plants in NE Austin. One was a billion dollar plant built just a couple of years ago. The other one is the older plant which will be closed for a year while a 500 million dollar upgrade is done to make it a modern, efficient factory. 700 construction jobs will be created, a half billion dollar investment in an aging factory, and then they're going to rehire about 200 employees for the upgraded plant. Hell yes it's good news!
It's obviously bad news. There's an immediate loss of 500 jobs. This will end-up being an eventual net-loss of 300-350 jobs. Yes, much of the $500m investment will be pumped into the Austin economy. However, that's the only good news: Austin just lost quite a lot of good jobs; the sole consolation therein being that it didn't lose more.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 5:00 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
It's obviously bad news. There's an immediate loss of 500 jobs. This will end-up being an eventual net-loss of 300-350 jobs. Yes, much of the $500m investment will be pumped into the Austin economy. However, that's the only good news: Austin just lost quite a lot of good jobs; the sole consolation therein being that it didn't lose more.
No, bad news is the plant is closing. Period. A $500 million dollar investment in an aging factory, a couple of years after building a new $1 billion dollar factory next door is good news. Samsung has made a huge investment in Austin, and their presence here is solidified for the foreseeable future. Then there is the fact that the new jobs are to be higher paying jobs as well. And then there is also the spin-off jobs that will be created. At a time in this country where manufacturing jobs are moving overseas at an alarming rate, in one of the worst recessions in generations, this is indeed good news.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 5:21 AM

Those higher paying jobs will be filled by higher skilled employees, of which hundreds of us who lost our high tech jobs are not qualified for. We were promised jobs for life with satifactory performance back when company loyalty to its employees was the culture, abeit unrealistic in hindsight. So if the "good news" means hundreds or perhaps thousands of former high tech employees struggling to get by on smaller salaries in other fields trying to pay their mortgage they once could easily afford, then excuse my lack of enthusiasm over the news. I am one of the effected. Things can change in a heartbeat, Semitech lost out to a major expansion to Albany, NY. The Domain used to be my old IBM stomping grounds. The ECAT assembly building I busted my butt in for years is now the Culinary Institute of Austin. Geesh...
The fallout, less people with buying power, foreclosures, unemployment, bankruptcies, perhaps offset by new high tech developement, but at a large human cost. Just saying...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
No, bad news is the plant is closing. Period. A $500 million dollar investment in an aging factory, a couple of years after building a new $1 billion dollar factory next door is good news. Samsung has made a huge investment in Austin, and their presence here is solidified for the foreseeable future. Then there is the fact that the new jobs are to be higher paying jobs as well. And then there is also the spin-off jobs that will be created. At a time in this country where manufacturing jobs are moving overseas at an alarming rate, in one of the worst recessions in generations, this is indeed good news.
Shorter Scottlini: Samsung made a big investment a while back. The jobs that are left are higher paying than the jobs that were cut. And anyway it could have been worse.

I agree with you.

Nevertheless, it's still bad news: There's a net loss of jobs; an entire plant will be lost and all the spin-off jobs that went with it will be gone, too; but, yeah, both plants could have been moved somewhere and they weren't, so that's better nothing. Could have been worse, but it's still bad. Obviously.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 5:53 AM
Closed account

Not quite my friend. An entire plant will not be lost. A half billion dollar upgrade to the plant will cause it's closure for a year. During this time about 500 jobs will be lost. However about 700 construction jobs will be created during the upgrade. Then when the aging plant reopens as a state of the art facility about 200 higher paying jobs will be created. Huge investment before, huge investment in the future. Good news.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 6:05 AM
Closed account

Spokesman Bill Cryer said the move represents a substantial commitment by the parent company, Samsung Electronics Co., the world's second-largest chipmaker, to keep advanced semiconductor manufacturing in Austin well into the future.

The expanded plant will be the largest chipmaking plant in North America and will bring Samsung's total investment in Austin to $4 billion since it opened its first plant in 1997. "The significance to Austin is hard to overestimate," Cryer said. "This gives the local semiconductor manufacturing industry another 10 to 20 years of additional life. We are going to bring in the latest technology in semiconductor manufacturing and put it in Austin.

Cryer said the jobs that will be cut are lower-skilled equipment operator positions. Almost all of the new jobs will be higher-level, and higher-paid, technical and engineering positions.
Austin-area business leaders said the project is overall encouraging news for the area's economy, which has lost thousands of high-tech manufacturing jobs in the past year.

"I am sympathetic to the situation of workers who will lose their jobs, but this has to be a pretty positive statement in the face of what the economy has done to the semiconductor industry," said Austin lawyer Pike Powers, who played a leading role in recruiting both Samsung factories to Austin.
Powers said it is important for Austin to have a state-of-the-art chip factory, because it opens the possibility of further investments in the future.

"It gives you something to work from versus having nothing to work from," he said. "Give me some cards in the game, and we can play. But if you don't have a seat at the table, you won't be in the game."
Mayor Lee Leffingwell said he welcomed the new investment and the jobs the project would create, saying the project would help keep Austin competitive and maintain its status "as a leader in the semiconductor industry."

The project also will generate more business for materials and equipment suppliers.
Mike Rollins, president of the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce, said an economic impact analysis his organization commissioned concluded that the project would add $1.3 billion to the Austin-area economy and create more than 5,000 spinoff jobs.
Cryer said the project also would generate business for suppliers and equipment manufacturers.

Fab 2 already is the biggest and most advanced chip plant in Austin. It makes NAND flash memory chips, the type used in smart phones, digital cameras and other consumer electronics. Samsung Electronics is a major supplier of flash memory for Apple Inc.

Fab 1 is already old by chip industry standards and uses an almost obsolete technology to make computer memory chips from silicon wafers that are 8 inches in diameter. Fab 2 uses 12-inch wafers, a much more efficient method that puts more chips on each wafer.
With the conversion, Samsung also will be able to use an advanced process that deposits copper on the silicon wafers, which produces higher-performance chips.

"In order to upgrade and convert the older facility, we must take the manufacturing area back to the bare walls," said Y.B. Koh, president of Samsung's Austin subsidiary.

The new project "is terrific news for Austin given the alternative, which was closing the older fab and not expanding Fab 2. What should be extremely valuable to Austin is the fact that we have a corporate citizen in Samsung that is a very long-term player," he said.
kladendorf@statesman.com; 445-3622

http://www.statesman.com/business/co...15samsung.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin