HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 6:22 PM

^so the assumption is that the average unit will have their occupant(s) come and go 4 times a day, creating 8 car trips exclusively using their car, even though it is an urban location on transit. Still seems like an unrealistic number. And even so, unless all those car trips were at the same exact time, every day, it seems it would have minimal impact on the traffic.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 6:56 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^^^ I suppose if there are 2 people per unit, that might not be too far off... although it is close to downtown, so I'm sure at least a few people would hoof it???

I see people walking and cycling up and down the hill all day long.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 3:25 AM

as you come down the hill onto broadway, these units are *right* there, almost in the middle of the road. Hope they like headlights!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 3:37 AM
PearlHelp.com

Portland Infill | Southwest Portland

Please refer to this thread as the official John's Landing thread.

Please feel free to visit my new John's Landing website. http://johnslanding.org - send me some feedback!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 3:40 AM
PearlHelp.com

Been down SW Corbett Avenue lately? Well, to my surprise I woke up to new speed bumps two weeks ago. I am very happy with this addition to the neighborhood. I live directly on Corbett Ave and see frequent speeders all the time, typically they're using the street as a cut-through to Barbur Blvd or Taylors Ferry Rd.

This addition was from SW Boundary to SW Nebraska.

I found some info on this project here.

Last edited by Shilo Rune 96; Oct 12, 2011 at 5:19 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 8:14 PM

This is random, and perhaps it's been mentioned before, but I was driving down Barbur this morning and noticed a pretty significant looking development that was well underway. I wish I could remember the cross street, but it was a bit further south from the Burlingame Fred Meyer, on the northern side of the street. Anybody have any clue what I'm talking about?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 12:11 AM

^^^ Yeah, it's Safeway

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:03 AM

Ah, I knew something was missing! Ripped the old Safeway out to build a new one. Thanks. That makes sense.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 7:45 PM

Safeway at Barbur

Not sure if anyone is interested in this project. It's the new Safeway on Barbur Blvd. in SW PDX. It's currently under construction, and is a great infill project for that area. I'll post construction photos if anyone is interested.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 8:09 PM

Please do, that would be great.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 8:23 PM

Safeway on SW Barbur

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 4:09 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Not sure if anyone is interested in this project. It's the new Safeway on Barbur Blvd. in SW PDX. It's currently under construction, and is a great infill project for that area. I'll post construction photos if anyone is interested.
Yeah, it'll be good to know whats going on down there. I used to live out towards Tigard years ago. Barbur needs some newer development.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:03 PM

Came across this pre-app conference for the Goose Hollow area at 20th and madison. If i remember that lot was used as a park and parking lot for people in the area so its bound for some opposition if it wasn't for they are adding in about 465 parking spaces with 225 set aside for the Multnomah Athletic Club. It is still quite a lot though. I am glad with this one and the one off Jefferson there will be some newly added people in the neighborhood.

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...47126&a=446016

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 12:33 AM

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...47126&a=449525

11 story building planned for the west end with 177 residential units. It is on SW jefferson between 11th and 12th. Now the first sketches/renderings do not look too special but I love this kind of development especially in that area but its replacing to buildings that could be easily used.

It is not really a preservation issue as much as their are plenty of parking lots in that area that could be used up but anyways I am glad where seeing something larger than 4-5 floors for once. The west end has a ton of potential and it already is pretty nice as a lot of things have happened in that area.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 5:56 AM

Those existing buildings are owned by the City of Portland Housing Bureau, and have those infamous red "U" signs on them. I think I'm happier knowing that the City isn't going to be housing people for much longer in a building that another City Bureau has decided is unsafe for firefighters to enter.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 7:06 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

The city isn't housing anyone in those buildings. They're better known as The Jefferson West and have been vacant for a few years now.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 8:54 PM

I'm sad to see these old buildings go, particularly when there is a Plaid Pantry and large parking lot across the street. They're simple, classy, and fixable -- and likely to be replaced with garbage. But hey, that's how it works. Most of the old urban fabric of this city has been demolished anyways.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 9:59 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

At one point, there was a plan to replace the Plaid Pantry as well as the surface lot on the corner of Columbia and 11th too with some sort of high rise housing. Oh, those early 2000's boom days. BOOOOOOOM, indeed. There were all kinds of plans back then. I do suspect that, eventually, The Plaid Pantry, its parking lot plus the parking lot next to it will all go away too.

In a perfect world, I'd have liked to see The Jefferson West rehabbed, but I'm guessing that the PDC took a bath on that deal. Initially, the plan was for a developer to acquire two nearby lots on SW 11th and build low income housing there to replace what would be lost when The Jefferson West would be torn down. Then, The Jefferson West would be replaced by a condo tower. The two smaller lots were the old NW Film Center building and a surface parking lot. Those were replaced by The Jeffrey, but the economy tanked before the condo tower could be built, and thus, The Jefferson West stands vacant except for whatever student project has been going on in the former retail space on the corner of 11th & Jefferson.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 4:54 PM

This building has been planned for a looooong time. The city had replacement affordable housing built around the corner on SW 11th. This 3-story building is pretty decrepit. About 8 years ago, I once looked at an apt in that building - I almost ran out of the building. Looking forward to something happening here... Just hope the design gets improved a bit. Ankrom Moisan is pretty lackluster IMHO.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 9:05 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Yeah, the building on 11th and Jefferson is horrible. Was abused for probably half a century by low-income tenants and I'm amazed it never burned to the ground.

Anyways, whats the point in rehabbing 3 story buildings in downtown? Unless its a REALLY amazing piece of architecture, there is no point! In fact, it is in violation of the Central City Plan to increase density by adding FAR. Even Hawthorne has taller and denser buildings that are in better shape.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland