HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 5:30 PM

I'd prefer to see them open up some new terrain by putting a lift to it, not just overloading the Ripper by making that area easier to get to. I think you still have to use the cat track to get out from the bottom of the ripper (unless you download on the chair maybe).

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 6:47 PM

There's a viralish video out there showing Fernie the morning after they got 54cms.
I don't know how to post YouTube videos but it's worth a watch.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
There's a viralish video out there showing Fernie the morning after they got 54cms.
I don't know how to post YouTube videos but it's worth a watch.
Is it the one of them opening Currie Bowl and a ton of people dropping it at the same time? I've been that guy and it's so much fun!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 7:00 PM
HVAC guru

Hehe.. good little bit of publicity for Revvy... the ski hill was featured on none other than the Price is Right!

https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/tr...rice-is-right/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Is it the one of them opening Currie Bowl and a ton of people dropping it at the same time? I've been that guy and it's so much fun!
Ya I think so. The Bowl wasn't mentioned specifically but you're probably right.
I had a day at Cypress with that much snow actually. In bound mini avalanches it was incredible.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Ya I think so. The Bowl wasn't mentioned specifically but you're probably right.
I had a day at Cypress with that much snow actually. In bound mini avalanches it was incredible.
I've had days like that at Castle and Louise, just epic! tough to keep on top of it sometimes, even with a powder board lol.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 10:54 PM

Shake the Lake at Lake Louise tomorrow, should get a powder day to close out the season. Sunshine has another month to go and they will also have a powder day tomorrow!

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:25 PM
HVAC guru

Environmental performance makes SilverStar one of continent’s best

SilverStar Mountain Resort has been recognized as one of the top ski resorts in North America for environmental performance.

On May 1, in San Diego, the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA) presented awards in sustainability, safety, growth and marketing to ski resorts with the most innovative and successful programs in each category.

SilverStar was the only Canadian ski resort to receive a nomination for the 2019 Golden Eagle Award for Environmental Excellence

SilverStar was up against Vail Resorts, Colorado, Sun Valley Resort, Idaho and Jiminy Peak Mountain Resort, Massachusetts, with Vail Resorts winning the overall Environmental Excellence Award.

https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/ne...ntinents-best/

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 8:29 PM

New lift announced for Sun Peaks today. Maybe they'll refurbish the existing Crystal chair and move it to the Gils.

https://www.sunpeaksresort.com/explo...lift-announced

Last edited by VantageHD; Jun 27, 2019 at 8:30 PM. Reason: broken link

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 10:05 PM
HVAC guru

This could maybe go in the BC real estate thread, but given it's a massive ski resort development probably fits here:

Site of proposed Jumbo Glacier Resort in southeastern B.C. to get federal protection

The federal Liberal government will offer the Ktunaxa First Nation more than $16 million to protect a mountain valley in southeastern British Columbia where a contentious ski resort has been proposed.

CBC News has learned the federal Liberal government will soon announce the fund to help the Ktunaxa protect the area, which covers 211,045 hectares in the central Purcell Mountains where developers had planned to build the Jumbo Glacier Resort.

The announcement represents a major victory for opponents of the proposed resort who say the area is a critical habitat for grizzlies and is sacred to the Ktunaxa First Nation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tion-1.5263431

I personally applaud the decision, my preference is to keep the Pucrell wilderness as a protected, undeveloped wildlife area. There were some major implications that resort could have had on both the east and west faces of the mountain range. This debate has been going on since I last lived in Nelson BC in the late 90's, I'm glad that it's hopefully coming to a close with the result that most in the area were hoping for.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:55 PM

I agree. Good decision. 16 million just seems a little much to hand over to first nations to do what?.... Develop boundaries?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
This could maybe go in the BC real estate thread, but given it's a massive ski resort development probably fits here:

Site of proposed Jumbo Glacier Resort in southeastern B.C. to get federal protection

The federal Liberal government will offer the Ktunaxa First Nation more than $16 million to protect a mountain valley in southeastern British Columbia where a contentious ski resort has been proposed.

CBC News has learned the federal Liberal government will soon announce the fund to help the Ktunaxa protect the area, which covers 211,045 hectares in the central Purcell Mountains where developers had planned to build the Jumbo Glacier Resort.

The announcement represents a major victory for opponents of the proposed resort who say the area is a critical habitat for grizzlies and is sacred to the Ktunaxa First Nation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tion-1.5263431

I personally applaud the decision, my preference is to keep the Pucrell wilderness as a protected, undeveloped wildlife area. There were some major implications that resort could have had on both the east and west faces of the mountain range. This debate has been going on since I last lived in Nelson BC in the late 90's, I'm glad that it's hopefully coming to a close with the result that most in the area were hoping for.

Was up at the area proposed for this resort in July. From what my uncles wife was telling me the developers claim that they will not need any road improvements. After driving the road up I can certainly say they would need massive infrastructure upgrades at minimum. She will really happy this isn’t going through. They live on the road to pano over there.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post
I agree. Good decision. 16 million just seems a little much to hand over to first nations to do what?.... Develop boundaries?
Likely to pay a huge cadre of fed and first nations lawyers (which I understand are also paid for by the feds), from my prior experience years ago working on a land claim.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:29 PM

Probably going for a groomer day at Louise Saturday, will be so nice to get back on the board!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 9:50 PM

Louise opens Larch this weekend, that's about 90% of the hill open now. Great start to the season so far, got some powder turns in last weekend, looking forward to more this weekend!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 6:02 PM

Castle and Fernie are doing preview weekends after this last storm, season is almost in full swing!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 4:42 PM

Sun Peaks opened last weekend with only the Burst and Elevation chairs turning. 2 runs and was really busy. The Crystal chair opens tomorrow, but going to head to Revy for opening weekend instead!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:33 PM

Revy looks about as ridiculous as usual, really hope to make it there this year. Another powder day at Louise today with a decent amount in the forecast for the weekend as well. Fantastic start to the season, think the rock board goes away this weekend...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:09 PM

Ya obviously not the best. They were downloading and mostly a groomer day with the odd powder stash, but we were above the clouds so I wasn't complaining.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:03 PM
April Melissa Sandever

Can't wait to hit Sun Peaks this year!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia