HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Skye Halifax I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 2:25 PM

I was looking into the architects and they have done some really great projects in Toronto. It gives me hope that if by some crazy fluke this actually gets built that the finished product will be of high quality.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 4:30 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I was looking into the architects and they have done some really great projects in Toronto. It gives me hope that if by some crazy fluke this actually gets built that the finished product will be of high quality.
I just looked up the name Patrick Murphy and architect (as keywords) on Google and got this link - http://www.pdmarchitects.com/pages/1/index.htm. I am not sure if this is the right firm or not?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 2:32 PM

Patrick Murphy works for United Gulf.
The architect is Peter Clewes of the Architects Alliance of Toronto. http://www.architectsalliance.com/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:03 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Patrick Murphy works for United Gulf.
The architect is Peter Clewes of the Architects Alliance of Toronto. http://www.architectsalliance.com/
Thank you for the information.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:49 PM

Looking at the work from that website, I feel better about the quality of the two towers. That's been my biggest concern so far

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 10:16 PM
BANNED

That's good news to hear, this is one of Canada's best architectural firms. If you go through they're project list, they've designed Toronto's harbourfront re-development and its (stunning) Pier 27 building going up right now.

Paying for the retainer to hire a firm of this calibre should put to rest any doubts people still have about the seriousness of this developer.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Crawford View Post
Paying for the retainer to hire a firm of this calibre should put to rest any doubts people still have about the seriousness of this developer.
There are no guarantees the buildings will be approved or built, but as I've said before I don't think this is as far-fetched as some are making it out to be. The developer seems to be going through the usual steps to develop the property and the scale of the development, while large for Halifax, is not completely unrealistic. It may not even be that unusual locally. Fenwick post-renovation could have more units and Park Vic is probably much larger than either of the 48 storey towers despite being less than half the height. King's Wharf will have more units but is being built in phases. Perhaps United Gulf is planning to build one tower at a time.

Even the height of the buildings is not outlandish. They will be about half again taller than Fenwick, which was built around 1970 (in what was then a much smaller economy), and most importantly the ~150 m building height is routine in cities like Toronto. Mobile, Alabama is around the same size as Halifax and has a 200 m office tower with 225 m spire. These towers may be unusual in a local context but it's wrong to consider them the "Burj Dubai" of Halifax.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 11:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If you go through they're project list, they've designed Toronto's harbourfront re-development and its (stunning) Pier 27 building going up right now.
Why do you find Pier 27 stunning?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Archtitect fees are usually very little at this stage, sometimes they don't exist (depends on the arrangement). The REAL fees come into play when the building is approved and or working drawings are required.

The difference in the amounts (concepts vs. working drawings) would be significant; say 20 - 25 grand verus 1 million plus

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 4:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's good news to hear, this is one of Canada's best architectural firms. If you go through they're project list, they've designed Toronto's harbourfront re-development and its (stunning) Pier 27 building going up right now.
Rather than stunning, Pier 27 looks like a clustered coffee table of a lazy college student.

I appreciate the density, and being by the water is an obvious asset, but stunning? -- hardly.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 3:06 AM
ARTchitecture

I love it!

God damn it! When are they going to release new renders of Skye?!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 11:07 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
From Skye Halifax's facebook page:

PUBLIC INFORMATION MEETING:

This is your opportunity to learn more about our project and have your voice of support heard!

When: Thursday, May 3, 2012, 7:00PM

... Where: Marion McCain Arts & Social Sciences Building (Ondaatje Hall – Big Hall Room to your left soon as you enter the main entry on University avenue)
Dalhousie University

Hopefully some new renderings and perhaps some of the study results?
This is tomorrow. Is anyone planning to attend? I am not really sold on this project (not that an ex-Haligonian's opinion is important) but it would be interesting to hear more details from people in Halifax who are planning to attend.

Here is the Skye link - http://skye.callsos.info/events

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 11:54 AM

SKYE HALIFAX PUBLIC INFORMATION MEETING TODAY! (New Images)

PUBLIC INFORMATION MEETING:
This is your opportunity to learn more about our project and have your voice of support heard!

There will be a presentation by HRM, and an appearance by our project Architect Peter Clewes of Architects Alliance of Toronto. New images will be revealed.

When: TODAY Thursday, May 3, 2012, 7:00PM
Where: Marion McCain Arts & Social Sciences Building (Ondaatje Hall – Big Hall Room to your left soon as you enter the main entry on University avenue)

Dalhousie University
6135 University Avenue, Halifax NS, B3H-4P9

For Map & Hall Particulars see the following link:

http://campusmap.dal.ca/?building=66

For more information do not hesitate to contact:

Patrick LeRoy
Vice President of Operations
United Gulf Developments Limited

Bring people back to downtown Atlantic Canada! Sign in Support of Skye Halifax

GO TO: http://www.skyehalifax.ca
E-Mail: patrick@unitedgulf.ca

KEY POINTS:
• Project Residents will spend $16 to $20 million on goods and services in
the immediate trade area --the economic boost needed for businesses
in downtown Halifax
• The project will address an underserved youth market that want to live
downtown
• Reducing purchasing barriers for entry level market
• There’s no government funding involved
• This postage stamp sized site will generate $ 6 million in taxes alone,
with no new taxpayer funded infrastructure required
• This project does not deny other development opportunities in fact it
will attract them as downtown Halifax will become a desired address
• Skye is a catalyst for positive change

We’re on facebook and twitter see: www.skyehalifax.ca

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 4:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye_Halifax View Post
Hopefully opposition and concerns will be heard, as well -- unless this is strickly a presentation.

I'm pleased about the release of new images -- but am eagerly awaiting the wind and shadow studies.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 9:00 PM

Regardless, any hearing related to this is destined to be a total shitshow given the interests of the Flat Earth Society and the Tall Building Phobia League.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 12:34 AM
Volatile Pacivist

So did anyone go?

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
So did anyone go?
and when will we be able to see the new renderings?

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 3:50 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Well I was there and I had just got back when I asked that question, but I had biked from Dartmouth and I was too tired and hungry to go into it then.

The meeting was briefly opened by Richard Harvey "senior planner" at city hall. He spoke for only a few minutes to describe the purpose of the meeting and explain the time table and the agenda of the meeting. He said this was a public consultation that was required in order for council to consider a request for an amendment to zoning bylaws, and that it was not about the building itself.

Then a woman from United Gulf (I forget her name) who was apparently the one in charge of the project made a presentation in which she explained that the Twisted Sisters proposal was abandoned due to UG doing more in-depth market research and gaining more insight into the residential market conditions in downtown. The new proposal is intended to be more inviting to the younger generation since it has smaller floorplates which allows for smaller, cheaper units with more of the units being bright and having greater window access. They said this project is much stronger since there is greater demand from younger people rather than the older folks and retirees that the old project targeted. She spoke for about 10 minutes.

After that, Peter Clewes spoke for about 15 minutes and touched on the issues of sprawl and focused extensively on Toronto as an example, explaining how development has shifted from single family home sprawl to central intensification through a number of steps including the province making a greenbelt, and the city changing the way it views development and zoning. He also talked about the Skye architecture itself, describing various aspects of the building and its amenities. He mentioned the impact on the skyline and how a city's skyline is part of its persona, and how typically Halifax has more low and squat buildings and that it needs something soring and airy to make it more majestic (I'm paraphrasing).

Then there was a long period of time (the biggest segment of the evening) in which people were able to make comments and ask questions. About 23 people spoke and there were approximately an equal number of pro and con comments. They were pretty much all comments rather than questions, and it seemed like everyone had already made up their minds before getting there or hearing anything that anyone said. The presenter requested that comments be strictly limited to whoever be at the microphone at the time and that there be no applause or other audible response from the audience in order to keep things orderly. As a result, everything was quite civilized; there was no arguing or yelling, cheers or jeers, etc.

There seemed to be about 50-75 people there and it was attended by several city councillors, including Dawn Sloanne, Russel Walker, and Jennifer Watts.

As far as rendering, there was an aerial view rendering which was projected onto the wall for most of the night and I don't remember seeing that before. But other than that, it seemed to be pretty standard stuff that I've already seen.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 5:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It would definitely be interesting to see an aerial view of the project.

Did anybody ask why they went with something so tall knowing that approval would be much more problematic?

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 5:53 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Regardless, any hearing related to this is destined to be a total shitshow given the interests of the Flat Earth Society and the Tall Building Phobia League.
Or white suburbanites that don't like anything with the words multi-family, high density or high-rise.

Cough cough, Winnipeg "White Ridge"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth