HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 5:05 PM

It's probably already been mentioned (first time I've checked this thread in ages), but is this designed by SCB of Chicago? It looks a great deal like the twin tower Streeter project going up in Streeterville, Chicago, but about 50' taller.

It's a good design, and I like the location for a tower of this proportion. Need to get back to SF soon.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 6:06 PM
BANNED

Yes. Solomon Cordwell Buenz.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 6:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Is that prominent white building in this photo by hkskyline what I think it is?

http://www.globalphotos.org/newyork/...1/IMG_3763.jpg
Photo from hkskyline's thread on his NY to SF trip
It looks like 50 Fremont to me

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
the city's elevation data suggests that the existing ground under the first tower sloped from 95 feet to just under 105 feet. the second tower is at 65 feet, and the low rise is in between. the code has some flexibility in determining the point from which height is measured where you have a lot on two street frontages, and multiple buildings, so it's hard to say where the 641' (or whatever height measurement we are using) is taking from. it would certainly be no more than 100 feet, since that's about the elevation through the centerline of the 'west' face of tower one.
This pretty much matches my findings as well:

We seem to be missing the 25 foot contour lines for 75 feet and 100 feet, but there still there should be enough information shown to conclude that the ground floor finish level (level 6) of the first tower may be somewhere close to the 100 foot elevation. I am not sure where the 120 foot elevation comes from.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 1:39 AM

[

Last edited by chizzle; May 22, 2007 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 1:44 AM

Quote:
We seem to be missing the 25 foot contour lines for 75 feet and 100 feet, but there still there should be enough information shown to conclude that the ground floor finish level (level 6) of the first tower may be somewhere close to the 100 foot elevation. I am not sure where the 120 foot elevation comes from.
the ground floor is on the 6th level. I used to be the general foreman for the ironworkers until the deck collapsed and i fell from the 8th floor. I know this is old but because i worked there i know that there are a total of 64 levels. the 1st is the foundation and the roof is the 64th

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzle View Post
the ground floor is on the 6th level. I used to be the general foreman for the ironworkers until the deck collapsed and i fell from the 8th floor. I know this is old but because i worked there i know that there are a total of 64 levels. the 1st is the foundation and the roof is the 64th

Hey if you go back about 15 pages (or on another SF construction thread) you will see that you (the deck collapse) was big news here... hope your doing ok.

You have any inside info on when the second tower will start?

Last edited by rocketman_95046; May 22, 2007 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 3:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
It looks like 50 Fremont to me
I very much doubt you'd have an unimpeded view of 50 Fremont from that direction. Among other buildings, 199 Fremont and the building across Howard from it would be in the way (not to mention the Millenium) and mask the lower floors--you might see the top. I think it has to be One Rincon. And One Rincon has to be in the picture so if that isn't it, where is it?

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:02 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I very much doubt you'd have an unimpeded view of 50 Fremont from that direction. Among other buildings, 199 Fremont and the building across Howard from it would be in the way (not to mention the Millenium) and mask the lower floors--you might see the top. I think it has to be One Rincon. And One Rincon has to be in the picture so if that isn't it, where is it?
I also think that it is 50 Fremont and have seen other pics from the south that show that much of it in an almost straight on view. One Rincon doesn't show up in this pic, but neither do other prominent buildings. It must be the light conditions which emphasize the white 50 Fremont but mask other colors; in addition, it's definitely not a clear photograph.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:12 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Rationalize as much as you want here, but I don't think any expert is going to agree that this is anything other than a 54 story tower. The mechanical floors don't count and neither does anything below ground level. The townhomes are not part of the tower.

You can walk into the Concourse level at 555 California at street level from California Street and it's not counted as the first floor. You can also walk into the B of A branch off of Montgomery and take an escalator up several floors to get to that Concourse level. There are numerous other examples of this in San Francisco, Seattle and elsewhere, including the Fairmont tower here.

Both 555 California and the Fairmont would be more justified in raising their floor count than One Rincon.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 5:46 AM

It's flickr time

taken May 12, by LMDocherty:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/209/5...4d703256cd.jpg

taken May 20, by timopfahl:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/5...3c3b50f1_b.jpg

taken May 21, by redtim:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/192/5...6d353121_b.jpg

and my absolute favorite, this one is brilliant -
taken May 20, by channingb:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/212/5...8d1a71ed_b.jpg

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Rationalize as much as you want here, but I don't think any expert is going to agree that this is anything other than a 54 story tower. The mechanical floors don't count and neither does anything below ground level. The townhomes are not part of the tower.

You can walk into the Concourse level at 555 California at street level from California Street and it's not counted as the first floor. You can also walk into the B of A branch off of Montgomery and take an escalator up several floors to get to that Concourse level. There are numerous other examples of this in San Francisco, Seattle and elsewhere, including the Fairmont tower here.

Both 555 California and the Fairmont would be more justified in raising their floor count than One Rincon.
Floor levels may be counted differently in construction, were every level is counted.

Quote:
Glad to have you join us! Sorry to know that you may be one who had been injured badly in your fall. I hope you are doing okay considering what may of happened to you. Anyway, it is nice to know that you have found our discussions on SSP. It is an honor to have you.

We usually don't count the roof level as a floor here on SSP, so for now we will just settle for 63 levels, if you don't mind. That is the same number of stories the first tower is listed for with DBI and the city. We are now counting 60 occupied levels; and of those levels, 55 will be above the ground floor. Three levels will be above the occupied floors, and will include the water tank. Five levels are below the ground level. We have the total height of the tower above the ground level as 641 feet. You may correct us, if you know otherwise.

Please let us know if is okay to ask you more questions regarding specifics of the project. Take care!

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 6:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Jeez, how many times do we have to do this. The number system starts at the lowest basement level with #1. There are 5 basement levels. Floor 6 is the "ground floor" or lobby. Above that are 58 floors (and a roof)according to chizzle who says he was the iron work foreman for G*d sake and therefore knows more about the building than any of us dilitants. The townhomes have nothing to do with it--they are next to the tower, not underneath it. And I'll bet you the water tank--30 ft or so of it--is not a numbered floor either. So we have a 58 story building with a basement going down 5 floors beneath it and a water tank on top. Just looking at it, that is becoming apparent. I counted the floors already completed (starting at ground level) last week and got 54--and judging by the central core (at that time) they had at least 4 to go (because the core rebar went that much higher--it looked more like 6 to my eye). So any expert who can see and can count will have to agree it's more than 54 floors and I'll take chizzle's word that there's 4 to go (though I won't be shocked if it turns out to be 60) which fits with what anybody who cares to go look, as I did, can see. I don't think that includes the water tank or HVAC because there's no reason the core concrete would go up through the tank.

Oh, and One Rincon has to be in the picture--whether or not it's the building I think it is, and I still do think it is. The picture is less than clear because it was taken through the window of a landing airplane.

Last edited by BTinSF; May 22, 2007 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 8:01 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

The bright white building in hkskyline's photo is 50 Fremont:

By hkskyline

Here's a photo taken in April 2005--long before One Rincon had begun construction--showing 50 Fremont standing tall, unobstructed, and gleaming white in the direct sunlight:

By makebbekus at flickr: http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=8603483&size=l

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 4:54 AM

yes i was the one who got hurt. i spent about a month in the hospital. i cant work anymore so if you have any questions ive got nothing but time to answer them.in regrards to the number of floors there are 5 parking levels, 55 residential levels, and 3 more for the water tank and mechanical. during construction, the floors start at the bottom level and go up from there. afterwards they are renumbered, usually to leave out the 13th floor. it all depends on the designer.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 5:58 AM

Quote:
yes i was the one who got hurt. i spent about a month in the hospital. i cant work anymore so if you have any questions ive got nothing but time to answer them.in regrards to the number of floors there are 5 parking levels, 55 residential levels, and 3 more for the water tank and mechanical. during construction, the floors start at the bottom level and go up from there. afterwards they are renumbered, usually to leave out the 13th floor. it all depends on the designer.
You are a unique survivor. Thanks!

You match my information perfectly so far. We were just discussing the ground floor elevation as being somewhere close to 100 feet (see my site map above on the previous page 19). Do you know if that is anywhere close?

How did you find out about the forums on SSP? How long have you been following the SSP forums?

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 7:49 AM
designer&stuff

One Rincon is certainly making its mark on the skyline and it's quite impressive. I cannot wait for more towers to rise in SOMA and the surrounding area.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
You are a unique survivor. Thanks!

You match my information perfectly so far. We were just discussing the ground floor elevation as being somewhere close to 100 feet (see my site map above on the previous page 19). Do you know if that is anywhere close?

How did you find out about the forums on SSP? How long have you been following the SSP forums?
the entrance is pretty much where you said so. when we started the foundation it was a hole about 50-60 feet deep.

i found this forum just looking for info since i havent been there in a while.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 2:18 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Now visible from the Marin Headlands!

From flickr, by dcnelson0381
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/232/5...595105c2_b.jpg

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 5:54 AM
Green Berniecrat

When you have a building in a place like SOMA thats visible all the way from the Marin Headlands, you know you've got it made

Its amazing how far away you can spot it, I've seen it from as far away as northwestern El Sobrante/San Pablo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive