HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyVjr2aWsAA436r.jpg

Atlanta Airport is a behemouth..
I like the new LED lights and exterior upgrades.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:00 PM

Yea, I've noticed passengers are very interested on the LAX landing.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:57 PM

Don't get me wrong here everyone. I don't think that the approach into LAX is boring, just that it's not particularly unique. Phoenix, DFW, and a lot of other Western US cities give you fairly similar views of their crowded freeways and flat suburban sprawl as you descend. Even in LA you've got Burbank, Long Beach, and Ontario all with fairly similar views of the city. If I hand to pick a favorite it'd be the rare northbound approaches into Burbank instead of the westbound approach into LAX, even.

Video Link

There you've got most of those DTLA views, plus close ups with Universal Studios and Griffith Park, and some fairly steep turns to keep things interesting. Still not "the best" approach in the US imo, but it has a lot of charm.

Maybe I'm just spoiled after having landed there more times then I can count, or maybe being able to name a half dozen better places to see the LA skyline just off the top of my head has warped my views a bit. But this is all just people's opinions anyway.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:16 PM
Anti-NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp View Post
Don't get me wrong here everyone. I don't think that the approach into LAX is boring, just that it's not particularly unique. Phoenix, DFW, and a lot of other Western US cities give you fairly similar views of their crowded freeways and flat suburban sprawl as you descend. Even in LA you've got Burbank, Long Beach, and Ontario all with fairly similar views of the city. If I hand to pick a favorite it'd be the rare northbound approaches into Burbank instead of the westbound approach into LAX, even.

Video Link

There you've got most of those DTLA views, plus close ups with Universal Studios and Griffith Park, and some fairly steep turns to keep things interesting. Still not "the best" approach in the US imo, but it has a lot of charm.

Maybe I'm just spoiled after having landed there more times then I can count, or maybe being able to name a half dozen better places to see the LA skyline just off the top of my head has warped my views a bit. But this is all just people's opinions anyway.
I think the best way for you to look at it is to ask yourself this: Does the dense urban core / massive, congested freeway system of Phoenix, Dallas, Houston or any other Western US (or even US in general, for that matter) city begin thirty minutes prior to landing as does the final approach to LAX? From my observations, the answer is no, and it's not even close.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Video Link

End of the day, theres no right or wrong answer. I wouldnt argue with someway saying that jacksonville or Anchorage is their favorite. To each their own

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:33 PM
Anti-NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Landing from the west at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport.
Speaking of landing from the west at Phoenix Sky Harbor, anyone know what's up with the massive vehicle junkyard that appears to be located somewhere southwest of downtown Phoenix? Saw this there when flying in last week - thousands of scrapped buses, trucks, cars, etc. randomly adjacent to a couple of middle class neighborhoods.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:43 PM

That Burbank landing is very scenic. LA is a monolith, just flat out huge. It might sprawl, but no doubt it is dense and an urban vista that extends to the horizon. Beautiful topography with the mountain side neighborhoods on a side note.

I wish the clip had sound though.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I think the best way for you to look at it is to ask yourself this: Does the dense urban core / massive, congested freeway system of Phoenix, Dallas, Houston or any other Western US (or even US in general, for that matter) city begin thirty minutes prior to landing as does the final approach to LAX? From my observations, the answer is no, and it's not even close.
I am very well acquainted with what my hometown looks like from the air. I spend over 20 years of my life in LA, including one and a half years where I was flying out of LAX on a weekly basis or more. I have probably landed at LAX more times than anyone else in this thread. I know the endless fields of suburban homes stretching off into the hazy gray of a smog filled horizon, specked freeways stretching through them like set of clogged arteries. I've flown low across the rooftops of Inglewood and looked down at the only green grass in sight, the empty rows of demolished houses for the new parking structure LAX has spent years waiting for permission to construct. I don't see anything different from a dozen other places I've been, there's just more of it.

It's like when my friends from Europe ask me how I'm not amazed everyday by how many lanes of traffic the 405 has. I've seen that view more than you can imagine, and to me it just looks like more pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
That Burbank landing is very scenic. LA is a monolith, just flat out huge. It might sprawl, but no doubt it is dense and an urban vista that extends to the horizon. Beautiful topography with the mountain side neighborhoods on a side note.

I wish the clip had sound though.
It does! Mostly engine noises, but that's the nature of the beast.

The most impressive views are always the ones at night. Even my salty old heart can appreciate them.
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:

Video Link

The Burbank approach is a good one! I lived in norther OC for 20 some years and Burbank is the only SoCal airport I've never flown into or out of. And I didn't even think about it when booking flights next month to take my kids to Universal. I just went with LAX. And flying from DEN on United, we're on 777s each way, which I enjoy.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:54 AM
An Optimistic Realist

I’m going to be flying from LAX to MIA next month via a connecting flight to O’Hare in Chicago. Will coming from the west provide good views of the skyline?

Continue improving until the end.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:42 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed Manhattan while flying into Newark.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed Manhattan while flying into Newark.
Here's a good one with that perspective.

Video Link

Old Posted Today, 12:00 AM

Another perspective, where you see Newark NJ. Nice glimpse of Newark and the Ironbound neighborhood along with the Eastern fringes of Essex and Passaic County.

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions