HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:34 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Projects -- including big, expensive projects -- have subpar yields all the time. We live in the real world...developers don't always look at the right data or comps and don't always make the right choices. I don't think the trends and data on amenities in high rise living support a conclusion that Equinox is undesirable in a building like this. And I speak based on plenty of real world data and analysis. But no point in arguing. It's all academic. Although it's early days yet, this building seems poised to be a success with or without an Equinox.
Yep, we are having a healthy discussion with different point of views. If I was a betting man, I would put the house on this building being successful. It's not like Philly has multiple Rittenhouse-like locations. IMO, this is it, if you got money and you want to be in the action, this is about as good as it gets at this point in time.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
------- And, if you recall, this lot was plaque for so many years and so many failures and here they come in and know how to work with the right people to get the job done. Most thought it was impossible and here we are close to a foundation being poured.
I would agree with you that this site has been empty for many, many years but I can only think of two serious proposals: the disaster that the Philly Parking Authority attempted and the developer who's plans fell apart in 2008 and ended up selling to Southern. Were there others?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:08 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I would agree with you that this site has been empty for many, many years but I can only think of two serious proposals: the disaster that the Philly Parking Authority attempted and the developer who's plans fell apart in 2008 and ended up selling to Southern. Were there others?
"Others" were the prospective buyers that could not get the money together to buy from the last entity that held the property. Others tried, but only SLC was able to successfully negotiate and complete the financial transaction.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 1:59 AM

Last edited by TK2001; Feb 15, 2019 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 2:08 AM

Bro condense the size of your photos.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandywine Rocks View Post
lol

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandywine Rocks View Post
Whatever, there you go bro

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
"Others" were the prospective buyers that could not get the money together to buy from the last entity that held the property. Others tried, but only SLC was able to successfully negotiate and complete the financial transaction.
Not a big point, because I'm glad something seems to be happening, and I'm glad the 2 places in the back got saved, and in general this seems to be a above average project (meaning not PMC tacky metal panels) but did the 'others' have names, or are you just assuming that there must have been others because of the time factor? This whole long, long process about one of the most desirable spots in the City is very curious; I'm sure that there is much more that is hidden from the public then the simple story that's told around the campfire. Maybe Johnny Doc was involved, or his predecessor, or that persons predecessor!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 9:00 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
real estate is location location location. and that location commands a premium. so while i don't have names for you, I can't say it was only SLC that bidded on it, there were others.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 7:55 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Good representation. Given it's location and angle of the pic, I think it will appear shorter.

-sb

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Whatever, there you go bro
Great job on photo + photoshop.

The larger format is overwhelming imo. This is perfect.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:49 PM

New website for The Laurel is up:

-Sky Residences and Estate Residences - floor plans, etc.
https://www.thelaurelrittenhouse.com/

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
New website for The Laurel is up:

-Sky Residences and Estate Residences - floor plans, etc.
https://www.thelaurelrittenhouse.com/
In my opinion, the default floorplans of the Laurel are poorly designed. And it's difficult to fix in all but the very largest residences. One reason why I'm not buying there in addition to feeling like I wouldn't get enough house for the money I can spend. There ought to be more than one real wall for art (and a tiny sliver above the wet bar) in the greatroom. This is not how luxury condos are designed anymore in other cities, in even the most luxurious condos. Such as New York condos with the most stunning citiscape and Central Park views in the same condo. They all have at least two walls and otherwise better layouts to accommodate art. 10 Ritenhouse is designed better in this respect too: http://www.10rittenhouse.com/Floorpl...h_703-2703.pdf http://www.10rittenhouse.com/Floorpl..._1504-2704.pdf

In my opinion, the Park View Estate Residence has the only greatroom that strikes a happy medium with a great layout that provides great views and wall space (and even that could use some tweaking). And those are 4,700 square feet and $8 million. The City View Estate could probably be modified without too much fuss by moving the kitchen to the Flex Room area, and putting a real wall where the kitchen is and extending the greatroom and making a few other tweaks to it. The rest will sell just fine; not everyone cares about Art. But it seems like they still could have capitalized on the stunning views and floor-to-ceiling windows while having an additional wall in many of the other plans.

Last edited by jsbrook; Feb 20, 2019 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 8:30 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Isn't the typical "gallery" the entrance into the condo followed by a long foyer into a large combined kitchen and family room? Most people hang their art on each side of the foyer with dedicated lighting on the art itself. That's what I see most in higher end units.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
^
Isn't the typical "gallery" the entrance into the condo followed by a long foyer into a large combined kitchen and family room? Most people hang their art on each side of the foyer with dedicated lighting on the art itself. That's what I see most in higher end units.
Not what I see. You want both to be able to enjoy it in the greatroom while relaxing. I do, anyway. That's what I see and prefer. Not just passing through a skinny hallway. It's all preference. My grandmother was an artist, and I grew up surrounded by art. But the highest end developers have now learned to deliver both the views and the walls.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
^
So like 160 Leroy, which has no less than 3 large art walls in the greatroom/family room as well as other "ordinary" walls but has floor-to-ceiling windows with both a North view and views of the Hudson.

https://www.160leroy.com/download/Ne...-14B_North.pdf

Or 220 Central Park South which has stunning Central Park and citiscape throughout but nonetheless has plenty of walls in the greatroom, family room, living room, dining room. https://therealdeal.com/2016/05/05/2...he-sky-photos/ https://therealdeal.com/2015/03/06/i...s-floor-plans/

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 8:47 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Not what I see. You want both to be able to enjoy it in the greatroom while relaxing. I do, anyway. That's what I see and prefer. Not just passing through a skinny hallway. It's all preference. My grandmother was an artist, and I grew up surrounded by art. But the highest end developers have now learned to deliver both the views and the walls.
That makes sense. I would prefer that as well. And, yes, art is good for the mind and soul!. BTW, I did notice the units go up to 9000 square foot, so maybe the few units that are 4000 and up have more wall space in the living areas for displaying artwork. Under that square footage, it does seem like the developer was trying to maximize windows and the balconies. Maybe there's room for customization even with units at 3700 square foot. I don't know if they are selling them as raw spaces or not. But, that's pretty big as far as one level of living in the sky.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
That makes sense. I would prefer that as well. And, yes, art is good for the mind and soul!. BTW, I did notice the units go up to 9000 square foot, so maybe the few units that are 4000 and up have more wall space in the living areas for displaying artwork. Under that square footage, it does seem like the developer was trying to maximize windows and the balconies. Maybe there's room for customization even with units at 3700 square foot. I don't know if they are selling them as raw spaces or not. But, that's pretty big as far as one level of living in the sky.
Yeah, the person who bought 9,000 square feet can do whatever they want! Plenty of room to custom design with walls and views. I asked Eva Walker about customization and she said no below half floors. Possible they'd sell as raw space, though, and let someone finish it later when the building is complete. They just didn't want other contractors and architects in the building jamming up the works while it was still under construction unless the buyer was really shelling out the big bucks (1/2 floor or more).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 8:59 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
So like 160 Leroy, which has no less than 3 large art walls in the greatroom/family room as well as other "ordinary" walls but has floor-to-ceiling windows with both a North view and views of the Hudson.

https://www.160leroy.com/download/Ne...-14B_North.pdf

Or 220 Central Park South which has stunning Central Park and citiscape throughout but nonetheless has plenty of walls in the greatroom, family room, living room, dining room. https://therealdeal.com/2016/05/05/2...he-sky-photos/ https://therealdeal.com/2015/03/06/i...s-floor-plans/
The Leroy layout has the advantage of being a long building and narrow as some points. That gives lots of inner wall as it looks like the entire floor is bifurcated. The other walls of course are windows for views.

The Central Park South has a long foyer and it doesn't seem like you could see all the artwork from the living room.

I prefer the Leroy.

Thanks for the examples.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 2:48 PM

Oh good, now we have "not enough walls for art" to bitch about on this forum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive