HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 12:26 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Great to see the Ashland corridor starting to heat up.
Well, this one is subsidized housing so it's not really evidence of a boom in the private sector. But it is much-needed infill.

Unfortunately the private buildings going up around here are all utility brick dreck from Michigan Ave Real Estate Group with dead ground floors...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well, this one is subsidized housing so it's not really evidence of a boom in the private sector. But it is much-needed infill.

Unfortunately the private buildings going up around here are all utility brick dreck from Michigan Ave Real Estate Group with dead ground floors...
All 3 projects in the area are subsidized public housing? Surprised if that's true.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
So, Harry, I've never posted a compliment to you for all the awesome pics you post, but I have got to say that I think you deserve more credit than anyone for the success of the Chicago forums... I know there is much more engagement here than other cities, and I believe it's due to posters such as yourself that are constantly keeping tabs of our ongoing built environment...

It was this post that finally motivated me to give you kudos as the most deserved contributor among us because you obviously have an incredibly organized database to search and illustrate and contribute to someone else's post at the drop of a hat...

and I like your dog...
Harry is a modern day Charles Cushman, his pictures are an invaluable record of contemporary life and conditions.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 9:10 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
All of these huge developments show how valuable something like the Chicago Connector plan could be. It travels through this proposal, the 78, Lincoln Yards and the Tribune's River District.
Yes. It's been important for 50 years that the City get serious about adding rail capacity in and adjacent to what we now call the Central Area but now it's starting to be truly urgent that, at the very least, concrete plans get laid out with realistic funding possibilities identified and worked toward.

I personally don't think the Connector is the right solution, but I'd take it as an imperfect solution that's real over a perfect solution that's just talked about.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yes. It's been important for 50 years that the City get serious about adding rail capacity in and adjacent to what we now call the Central Area but now it's starting to be truly urgent that, at the very least, concrete plans get laid out with realistic funding possibilities identified and worked toward.

I personally don't think the Connector is the right solution, but I'd take it as an imperfect solution that's real over a perfect solution that's just talked about.
It's a relatively "small" project - and could be one piece of the entire puzzle for the city IMO.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 8:15 PM

The renderings that Spyguy posted the other day for 1201 N Clark St (Clark and Division) with the 4 story addition on top got issued the building permit on Thursday at a $20M estimated cost. Ground floor to remain retail, while the 3 floors above will be converted from office to residential. The 4 new floors on top of that (total of 8 floors) will be all residential as well.

Owner on the permit is JDL (No. 9 Walton, One Chicago Square, 640 N Wells, etc) and the architect is Hartshorne Plunkard.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I think this thread might be the right spot for this article. Apologies if its already been posted!

Massive Near South Side neighborhood plan about to be unveiled
Multibillion-dollar plans will call for covering the Metra Electric rail tracks west of Soldier Field and building a huge mix of residential, office and retail space.
Source: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...ut-be-unveiled
There's nothing yet, but...

One Central Station

https://www.landmarkdevelopmentcompany.com

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 3:29 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The renderings that Spyguy posted the other day for 1201 N Clark St (Clark and Division) with the 4 story addition on top got issued the building permit on Thursday at a $20M estimated cost. Ground floor to remain retail, while the 3 floors above will be converted from office to residential. The 4 new floors on top of that (total of 8 floors) will be all residential as well.

Owner on the permit is JDL (No. 9 Walton, One Chicago Square, 640 N Wells, etc) and the architect is Hartshorne Plunkard.
Interesting that they are converting away from office despite River North’s ultra tight office market right now.

I sort of wonder if this project fulfills some sort of affordable housing set aside for their other projects

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Interesting that they are converting away from office despite River North’s ultra tight office market right now.

I sort of wonder if this project fulfills some sort of affordable housing set aside for their other projects
This is Gold Coast and there's really not much office space nearby at all. Also the developer is JDL. I'd be surprised if there's any affordable housing. This is the developer of No. 9 Walton and some of the most expensive rental buildings in town we are talking about.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:

Clark and Division isn't part of River North and certainly not part of the scorching hot office market from Chicago Ave South...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is Gold Coast and there's really not much office space nearby at all. Also the developer is JDL. I'd be surprised if there's any affordable housing. This is the developer of No. 9 Walton and some of the most expensive rental buildings in town we are talking about.
No zoning change no affordable housing...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
No zoning change no affordable housing...
certainly could be... using this example, a zoning change at no9 walton requires nearby affordable housing from the same builder. because let's be honest, no building with $5 million condos is going to have onsite affordable housing units.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
certainly could be... using this example, a zoning change at no9 walton requires nearby affordable housing from the same builder. because let's be honest, no building with $5 million condos is going to have onsite affordable housing units.
Isn't there an option for developers to pay a fee (let's say a few million) to not have to include affordable housing in their building?

Also if anyone is interested, this is what the permit says:
"***DIRECT DEVELOPER SERVICES*** FOUR STORY ADDITION TO AN EXISTING FOUR STORY BUILDING; CONVERTING EXISTING BUILDING FROM OFFICE TO RESIDENTIAL (RETAIL ON THE GROUND FLOOR); FOUR STORY ADDITION TO BE ALL RESIDENTIAL; ALL AS PER PLANS"

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 9:49 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

It's possible this is (partly) affordable housing for One Chicago Square. If JDL got a good price on the Division St building, it could be a lot cheaper on a cost/SF basis to add onto that building than to allocate precious SF from One Chicago Square itself.

This only works if the building was already designed for vertical expansion, or (in the case of old industrial buildings) if it was designed for much heavier loads. Otherwise any possible savings get eaten up in fussy, time-consuming foundation work.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 4:46 AM

New sign for the former Oriental. All the lights were working, just my phone's camera not being able to capture that. I was worried it wouldn't look right, but the Nederlander is a nice name

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post

New sign for the former Oriental. All the lights were working, just my phone's camera not being able to capture that. I was worried it wouldn't look right, but the Nederlander is a nice name
Although it was a but of a downgrade: the old sign had much nicer red neon letters that was replaced with white bulbs. Also, the oval portion at the bottom that says "Chicago" in a cheap script font.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 7:37 PM

Previous Plans for Clark/Division NE Corner

Looks like a developer had previously tried to build on top of 1201 N. Clark St in 2014.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...-in-gold-coast

https://chicago.curbed.com/2014/2/27...coast-building

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL View Post
Looks like a developer had previously tried to build on top of 1201 N. Clark St in 2014.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...-in-gold-coast

https://chicago.curbed.com/2014/2/27...coast-building
Yep. A different developer than who owns it now.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 11:11 PM

sorry if this has been addressed but does anyone know whats going on with the central market building on randolph. the thing is missing half of its exterior facade, the sidewalks is blocked off, and the interior is completely gutted but havent seen work crews or movement on it in months (?). dosent look any different today than this streetview in august

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 11:21 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development