HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 12:33 AM

From the aspect of architecture, Chicago has become my favorite North American city because it is the ONE the ONLY with genuine American soul. And San Francisco is the second.

NYC? It is too international and too mixed-up with more and more weirdy buildings; LA, Philly? Core too small. Houston, Dallas? Cultureless, really, can't see any culture. Boston? Too short.

Toronto, Vancouver, Montrael, Calgary, etc.? Urban landscape all Asianized already.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 11:46 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
From the aspect of architecture, Chicago has become my favorite North American city because it is the ONE the ONLY with genuine American soul. And San Francisco is the second.

NYC? It is too international and too mixed-up with more and more weirdy buildings; LA, Philly? Core too small. Houston, Dallas? Cultureless, really, can't see any culture. Boston? Too short.

Toronto, Vancouver, Montrael, Calgary, etc.? Urban landscape all Asianized already.
The urban landscape of Montreal is all Asianized?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The urban landscape of Montreal is all Asianized?
Precisely, the urban landscape of Montreal is in the process of being Asianized.

Look at all the Asian-style high-rise apartment buildings and condos rising up in the pure-NA-touch downtown core.

Hope Montrael not be another Toronto, which being nibbled by high-rise apartment buildings in the city center year by year and now tall apartment buildings disorderly dominate the Toronto skyline, like other Asian cities.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:00 AM
Hong Kong

Actually, North American cities are nowhere near designing Asian-style condos. In Tokyo, the inner city is flooded with sub-200 sq ft bachelor pads/studios, which is happening in Hong Kong these days as well. Unfortunately, that's what most young people can only afford nowadays. On the other side of the Pacific, space is far cheaper.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Actually, North American cities are nowhere near designing Asian-style condos. In Tokyo, the inner city is flooded with sub-200 sq ft bachelor pads/studios, which is happening in Hong Kong these days as well. Unfortunately, that's what most young people can only afford nowadays. On the other side of the Pacific, space is far cheaper.
But the center areas of major cities, space also tight eh

That's why all major large North American cities are being Asianized, while Tulsa, Omaha, El Paso, Milwaukee, Takoma, Jacksonville, Mobile, etc. are bit of far away from being Asianized, architecture-wise.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 4:17 PM
Hong Kong

Pilsen is southwest of the Loop and has a large Mexican community. It also has many colourful murals decorating the Pink Line's 18th Street station as well as on nearby 16th Street.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/chicago-pilsen.htm

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 4:28 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Nice photos, but again, you REALLY need to come here during the summer time - these snowy photos are bumming me out because I know this weather is coming in the next 3-4 months

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 7:11 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Nice photos, but again, you REALLY need to come here during the summer time - these snowy photos are bumming me out because I know this weather is coming in the next 3-4 months
I'm roasting under intense heat in Asia now and I actually miss the snow! Can we import a 15 degree offset from your winter?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 10:22 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I'm roasting under intense heat in Asia now and I actually miss the snow! Can we import a 15 degree offset from your winter?
Done!!!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 3:23 PM
Hong Kong

Chicago's southern suburbs are not a touristy or a particularly safe area. However, the area around the University of Chicago is worth a visit, and is easily accessible by express buses from the Loop that avoid the most iffy areas (routes 2, 6). The residential streets near the university have good architecture and there are nice skyline views from the lakefront.

More : https://www.globalphotos.org/chicago-south.htm

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 3:06 AM
Hong Kong

The Hilton Chicago was built in 1927 and has 1544 rooms over 29 floors.

Just on the other side of the street is Grant Park, a huge swathe of greenery leading to the lake.

Redevelopments are common within the South Loop to increase density.

Printers Row is being revitalized into a residential district.

Previously the Standard Oil Building, the Aon Center was built in 1972. Its original marble cladding was replaced with granite after some panels came off the building.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/chicago.htm

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:53 PM

Still more shots!

Just an FYI, you were still well inside of the City of Chicago while you were in Hyde Park. The city limits aren't for another 5+ miles in all directions from there!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 11:33 PM
Posh

Nice job!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos