HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 2:51 PM

Old Ben West Library building back in discussion...

According to an article in the Tennessean, the old Ben West Library building is back in discussion for development. It appears that MDHA is ready to put out another RFP for developing the property. It also appears that the building is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. While I'm not sure why it's eligible for such a designation, I have to admit I'd hate to see this building torn down. For me it's an iconic building for downtown Nashville and it should be repurposed. I think it would make a great site for an art gallery. I think it could also be repurposed as a theater with multiple theaters in varying sizes for small theatrical shows or an event center for small concerts and other activities including weddings and private parties. Yes, it would require some creative reconfiguration of the interior spaces, but that can be accomplished with the right design engineering firm. To me it's a building that could be transformed into another cultural destination for the people of Nashville and tourist if done properly. Keep the hanging stairs and modernize the rest of the buildings interior. Do away with the surface parking lot and build a small garage that's topped with a roof deck for outdoor activities or a place to go before a show or during intermission.

Apparently the building was designed to support additional floors, so maybe a developer could repurpose the existing building while adding a boutique hotel, office space or residential space. Although I really don't think it's necessary to do additional stories onto this building in order to put it to good use.

Tennessean Article: http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...oper/26610497/

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 12:19 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post

According to an article in the Tennessean, the old Ben West Library building is back in discussion for development. It appears that MDHA is ready to put out another RFP for developing the property. It also appears that the building is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. While I'm not sure why it's eligible for such a designation, I have to admit I'd hate to see this building torn down. For me it's an iconic building for downtown Nashville and it should be repurposed. I think it would make a great site for an art gallery. I think it could also be repurposed as a theater with multiple theaters in varying sizes for small theatrical shows or an event center for small concerts and other activities including weddings and private parties. Yes, it would require some creative reconfiguration of the interior spaces, but that can be accomplished with the right design engineering firm. To me it's a building that could be transformed into another cultural destination for the people of Nashville and tourist if done properly. Keep the hanging stairs and modernize the rest of the buildings interior. Do away with the surface parking lot and build a small garage that's topped with a roof deck for outdoor activities or a place to go before a show or during intermission.

Apparently the building was designed to support additional floors, so maybe a developer could repurpose the existing building while adding a boutique hotel, office space or residential space. Although I really don't think it's necessary to do additional stories onto this building in order to put it to good use.

Exactly. Not every lot has to be filled with a bland 20 story glass box (can't believe I just said that). There needs to be places where the community can come together and make good and even great things happen. This building would be perfect for piano recitals, community theater, amateur vocal performances and even art galleries and studios for budding artists.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:24 PM

Just bumping this to the most recent page so it doesn't get lost so fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Another update which will probably be outdated in a month. So stay tuned.

Downtown

SOBRO

JW MArriot

The Gulch

MIDTOWN/WEST END/MUSIC ROW

Larger Developments

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Exactly. Not every lot has to be filled with a bland 20 story glass box (can't believe I just said that). There needs to be places where the community can come together and make good and even great things happen. This building would be perfect for piano recitals, community theater, amateur vocal performances and even art galleries and studios for budding artists.
I agree. In most mid-major and major cities there are venues for smaller theatrical and concert performances. I've not lived in Nashville for almost 15 years now, but I don't recall there being such venues that could host small productions with audiences ranging in size from 50 to maybe 300 tops. Maybe I was just unaware of them if they did or do exist. I know about places like the Exit Inn (not sure if it's still open), but specifically for theatrical performances I don't recall any small performance halls. In Washington, DC they have to fantastic venues for small theaterical shows that I go to regularly (there other sites as well). One is called the Studio Theater the other is called Arena Stage. Both have multiple small, relatively intimate in size theaters. They are not design for big broadway shows, but for shows with a small cast that perfer to be close to their audiences. The staging can be in the middle of the theater and most of the time there's no raised stage at all, the stage is on the same level of the first row of seats. But, they can still have set changes, etc. Similar style theaters could be incorporated into the old library in Nashville. All it takes is a little vision and motivation to make it happen. What's really unique about the Arena Stage venue in DC is that it also includes classrooms for both visual and performing arts. So, MidTenn1, you're right it could be used to develop budding artist as well.

I want Nashville to have as many tall buildings as it can handle. But I don't want the city to be without character and culture. It can accomplish both and still grow upwards.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:44 PM
Chairman

Quote:
I agree. In most mid-major and major cities there are venues for smaller theatrical and concert performances. I've not lived in Nashville for almost 15 years now, but I don't recall there being such venues that could host small productions with audiences ranging in size from 50 to maybe 300 tops. Maybe I was just unaware of them if they did or do exist. I know about places like the Exit Inn (not sure if it's still open), but specifically for theatrical performances I don't recall any small performance halls. In Washington, DC they have to fantastic venues for small theaterical shows that I go to regularly (there other sites as well). One is called the Studio Theater the other is called Arena Stage. Both have multiple small, relatively intimate in size theaters. They are not design for big broadway shows, but for shows with a small cast that perfer to be close to their audiences. The staging can be in the middle of the theater and most of the time there's no raised stage at all, the stage is on the same level of the first row of seats. But, they can still have set changes, etc. Similar style theaters could be incorporated into the old library in Nashville. All it takes is a little vision and motivation to make it happen. What's really unique about the Arena Stage venue in DC is that it also includes classrooms for both visual and performing arts. So, MidTenn1, you're right it could be used to develop budding artist as well.

I want Nashville to have as many tall buildings as it can handle. But I don't want the city to be without character and culture. It can accomplish both and still grow upwards.
As a big fan of urban canyons, I would agree that architectural character and variety is important. I still believe the elevation facing the parking lot and even the parking lot itself could be made into better use.

Would this block have much visibility from a distance or is it surrounded by highrises?

Perhaps a bland glass highrise can be built in place of that parking lot.

-sb

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
As a big fan of urban canyons, I would agree that architectural character and variety is important. I still believe the elevation facing the parking lot and even the parking lot itself could be made into better use.

Would this block have much visibility from a distance or is it surrounded by highrises?

Perhaps a bland glass highrise can be built in place of that parking lot.
The lower portion of the lot where the parking lot sits probably would not have much visibility from a distance because of the surrounding buildings and elevation. I think for a building to be seen from that spot it would have to be 25-30 stories. Now if they tore down the old library then a 15 story or taller building would probably be visible. It would also have pretty decent views overlooking mid-town and the North Gulch area. And the views to the south would probably be decent. It would basically sit one block over from the Sheraton, so I guess a 20 story building would be seen from the southern approach into to town. But the Tennessee Tower building would block it from the north side. It would be mostly viewable from the west side of town. More than likely blocking the Sheraton as well.

But I think if they save the old library then they could design the interior space so that there are open corridors along the windows and all the galleries or theaters would have entrances from those open corridors. That way you always have views of the city from within the building.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 12:03 PM

Gresham Smith plans move to 222 2nd Ave

Looks like 222 2nd Ave will be the new headquarters for Gresham Smith according to the Tennessean. 222 2nd Ave is the planned 24 story building that will be located opposite the new amphitheater in SoBro. This is good news for 222 2nd Ave. But not so good for the Nashville City Center building where GS leases 100K sq feet. It's also a wash for occupancy in the downtown area since it's a local relocation. But, maybe the lower cost of leasing space in Nashville City Center will attract a company that has been looking to move to Nashville's downtown but don't want to pay the higher lease rates at the newer buildings.

I hope we get better renderings of 222 2nd Ave soon.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...ding/26949361/

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 1:03 PM
Future God

Both the convention center redevelopment and Top Golf were approved last night.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Both the convention center redevelopment and Top Golf were approved last night.
I think Top Golf requires one final vote, but it appears to be a done deal.

The waiting game begins with the redevelopment of the old convention center site. Developers now have to secure their funding by the end of the year. Here's hoping they are successful in doing so. I hope this doesn't fall like the previously proposed Medical Mart that was supposed to replace the old convention center. Something seriously needs to be done with the site because it is truly the epitome of 80's concrete mass. Thankfully the hotel portion has wondows to break up the concrete facade at street level.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 10:23 PM
Member since 2001

I apologize for not keeping up...Has Tony really reduced 505 CST to 45 stories? If he has...DAMN!

However, the new JW looks pretty sexy!

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 11:01 PM
Future God

Hard Rock Hotel project that includes both a residential and retail component possibly coming to the empty lot at KVB and 2nd in Sobro:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...r-working.html

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:

As with many modern/international style buildings, we are in a generation that doesn't appreciate the architecture much like the generation immediately after WWII that was looking to tear anything with brick and masonry down that they could get their hands on.

I'm absolutely for repurposing and renovating old modernist structures. They're now historic and while some are in bad condition, that doesn't warrant destruction. It begs for redevelopment and renovation. Build buildings in the empty blocks around these structures as they are repurposed! If the parking lot beside this modernist building looks ugly, then turn it into a walkable urban space on the exterior. That doesn't require destruction of the building.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 6:36 PM

This re purposing of existing buildings on 4th Avenue to create a hotel as shown here....

...is a wonderful development.

But now, renderings have been released for the expansion to the Noel Hotel building next door that will knock your socks off.....

Current facade, which will remained mostly as is...

Two incredible developments side by side.

Last edited by MidTenn1; May 11, 2015 at 4:33 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 8:18 PM

I'm very impressed with both of these rehabs and additions. Thanks for sharing! I cannot wait to see the final results for both.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 8:22 PM

Something like this...

This is a proposed building for Toronto that I'd like to see along the Cumberland in Nashville near the amphitheater instead of another box. It would be nice in other areas as well, so long as there are minimal obstructions to its views.

This is basically a tiered tower that has been given a bowed out element giving the illusion of a curved shape on one side.

I just wish Nashville developers would get a bit more creative. Designs don't have to be over the top necessarily. But they all could use more flare and creativity. Something like this would not be too much for Nashville architecturally. It's still relatively simple but has visual impact.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 8:44 PM

Quote:
This is a proposed building for Toronto that I'd like to see along the Cumberland in Nashville near the amphitheater instead of another box. It would be nice in other areas as well, so long as there are minimal obstructions to its views.

This is basically a tiered tower that has been given a bowed out element giving the illusion of a curved shape on one side.

I just wish Nashville developers would get a bit more creative. Designs don't have to be over the top necessarily. But they all could use more flare and creativity. Something like this would not be too much for Nashville architecturally. It's still relatively simple but has visual impact.
I agree. It's a shame that with the building boom occurring right now that nobody has seemed to try to push the envelope architecturally. Why can't Nashville be known for its architecture as well as country music and healthcare? I think it is time for Nashville to have a new iconic building. The Batman building has been great to be that one, but the design world has changed over the past 20 years, moving past big glass boxes, and so should Nashville.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 10:10 PM
Future God

I got really excited when I saw that picture, then realized that it's in Toronto. I couldn't agree more though. Though I'm grateful for all the new development, it is frustrating to see box after box after box proposed.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I got really excited when I saw that picture, then realized that it's in Toronto. I couldn't agree more though. Though I'm grateful for all the new development, it is frustrating to see box after box after box proposed.
Sorry for the false hope, but you're reaction is exactly the reason why I posted the photo. Yes, we've seen some decent designs for Nashville but realistically nothing that truly gets us excited other than the fact that another tall building is being built. Nashville developers have to be about more than just expanding the skyline, at least they should be. The MCC doesn't impact the skyline at all, but it has such a visual impact when you see it. It's a design that was out of the box for Nashville and it breathes life into its mundane surroundings. I still like the design of the Bridgestone Arena and for that matter even Municipal Auditorium. Why? Because they are iconic structures. Even if you dislike them, you easily identify them. Imagine James Robertson Parkway without the Municipal Auditorium. Imagine Bridgestone Arena being just another big box like so many other sports venues around the country. Imagine the MCC also being just another big square box, like the old convention center. If you get where I'm going, now imagine that building that is being proposed for Toronto being built in SoBro or Midtown, or the Gulch. Imagine it sparking development along the east bank. Imagine if HCA had done something unique in the North Gulch rather than go with a design that is duplicated all across this country.

There is absolutely no reason why Nashville should be void of architecturally stimulating modern design. I like several of the old and new buildings in Nashville. Two of Tony's designs for Church Street (Signature Tower and 505CST Office Tower) wowed me but neither are on the table. I want to be wowed by something new. The MCC wowed me when I finally saw it in person. I want to experience that wow factor again. For all the creativity in Nashville, why isn't that being conveyed through its new architecture?

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archee328 View Post
I agree. It's a shame that with the building boom occurring right now that nobody has seemed to try to push the envelope architecturally. Why can't Nashville be known for its architecture as well as country music and healthcare? I think it is time for Nashville to have a new iconic building. The Batman building has been great to be that one, but the design world has changed over the past 20 years, moving past big glass boxes, and so should Nashville.
I wonder if it's the country image that's stifling the design creativity for Nashville. I wonder if developers are afraid to push the envelope too much because they fear the people of Nashville won't approve. I say challenge the people of Nashville to think out of the box. Let the architecture reflect the energy, artistry and creativity of the city. Let the architecture speak to Nashville's growth. What's being built today looks like what could have been built in the past 10 years or more. Design buildings that says this was a new era in Nashville that started in 2014, 2015....

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 1:08 PM

Quote:
I wonder if it's the country image that's stifling the design creativity for Nashville. I wonder if developers are afraid to push the envelope too much because they fear the people of Nashville won't approve. I say challenge the people of Nashville to think out of the box. Let the architecture reflect the energy, artistry and creativity of the city. Let the architecture speak to Nashville's growth. What's being built today looks like what could have been built in the past 10 years or more. Design buildings that says this was a new era in Nashville that started in 2014, 2015....
There are a few examples of 'outside the glass box' buildings on the drawing boards, but very few..

Noel Place

JW Marriott

Utopia Hotel

Federal Courthouse

I did not include the Westin or Thompson Hotel although some may insist the are somewhat out of the box.

However, in light of the 30 to 40, mid to high rise buildings schedule to be under construction within the year, it is a very short list.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations