HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Where Do You Live?
Downtown 17 34.00%
East End 6 12.00%
West End 4 8.00%
North End 0 0%
East Mountain 3 6.00%
Central Mountain 1 2.00%
West Mountain 5 10.00%
Dundas 2 4.00%
Ancaster 0 0%
Stoney Creek 1 2.00%
Glanbrook (Binbrook) 0 0%
Flamborough (Waterdown) 0 0%
Other (if so, where?) 2 4.00%
Outside of Hamilton (if so, where?) 9 18.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 12:35 AM
On Guard For Thee

Tecumseh, Ontario--suburban Windsor.

Born in Hamilton, Grew up in the Greensville area.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 5:10 AM

Locke&Main Area

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 4:44 PM
Closed account

strathcona, oxford st.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 5:04 PM

east mountain

I dream of moving to the core.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 6:01 PM
Closed account

Currently living in Kelowna, BC (I hate it here: beautiful but a complete car culture; Hummers and high-rise pickups everywhere; totally pretentious). Moving back to Hamilton this coming summer.

I'd love to buy around Gage Park (on Rothsay or around Delaware and St Clair), but the wife insists on either Durand, Westdale, or Kirkendall.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 6:03 PM
WW3VET

One more for Westdale

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 6:28 PM

x2 for corktown

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 6:28 PM

...or 3 if thats where jon lives officially as well?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jacobs View Post
Currently living in Kelowna, BC (I hate it here: beautiful but a complete car culture; Hummers and high-rise pickups everywhere; totally pretentious). Moving back to Hamilton this coming summer.

I'd love to buy around Gage Park (on Rothsay or around Delaware and St Clair), but the wife insists on either Durand, Westdale, or Kirkendall.
show her this tour of St. Clair:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=141099

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 7:06 PM

Quote:

Value for money, you just can't beat St. Clair.

Westdale, Durand, kirkendall all quality neighborhoods, but everybody knows it and house prices show that accordingly.

Big negative for the St. Clair - Blakely neighborhoods is that you will have to drive almost everywhere, there's nothing worth shopping at along Main St. On the bright side, everything you need is only 5 - 10min away by car, including downtown.

Big positive. Gage Park. It's such an amazing park, best in Hamilton if you ask me and only getting better.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 7:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:

Wow, I must say I'm super jealous! I was lucky enough to spend a week there a couple summers ago and loved every second of it!

But you're right, it IS a car-culture city, eh? But I guess that's what happens when everyone is rich and lives in the mountains and on the vinyards! But there's also GREAT houses close to downtown along the Lake Okanagan, too.

Ya, let your wife know that the hoods surrounding Gage Park are quickly becoming the new Durand/Kirkendall... especially for out of towners. The Delta is a great area to move to as well! Cheap cheap houses (for now), and close to all the amenities incl. Ottawa Street!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 9:36 PM

I would also like to welcome all the recent forumers. it seems there has been unprecedented growth from the Hamilton section lately. Its great that you guys have these interests and hope you stick around.
A warm welcome to you all

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 12:15 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
She knows the area, and agrees about its charms, but simply prefers the southwest and Dundas. Central Hamilton is still a little too gritty for her. I, however, think the Ottawa ST area is brilliant and authentic.

By the way, I've admired your photo tours for some time now: they are simply superb. In fact, I have your photo of the Pigott Building as my laptop's desktop-background photo and the stupendous long shot of James ST South to the Bay on my desktop computer. The first tour I saw that you did was of Durand, and it made me miss Hamilton sorely. You've done some very fine work.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 1:12 AM

Quote:
By the way, I've admired your photo tours for some time now: they are simply superb. In fact, I have your photo of the Pigott Building as my laptop's desktop-background photo and the stupendous long shot of James ST South to the Bay on my desktop computer. The first tour I saw that you did was of Durand, and it made me miss Hamilton sorely. You've done some very fine work.
Thanks
More to come (eventually). There aren't many cities that could furnish as many successful photo tours as Hamilton.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 1:15 AM

East mountain here.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 5:39 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
Value for money, you just can't beat St. Clair.

Westdale, Durand, kirkendall all quality neighborhoods, but everybody knows it and house prices show that accordingly.

Big negative for the St. Clair - Blakely neighborhoods is that you will have to drive almost everywhere, there's nothing worth shopping at along Main St. On the bright side, everything you need is only 5 - 10min away by car, including downtown.

Big positive. Gage Park. It's such an amazing park, best in Hamilton if you ask me and only getting better.
Indeed, Gage Park is a jewel. And you're right, prices are going up rapidly--but still decent value compared to other major Canadian cities. I can't wait to get back! I miss brick and stone and solid, well-built homes of over a hundred years in age.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:06 PM

I'm in central/east - just south of King across from Scott Park. You can park on my lawn for football games!

I just found this forum, and I want to say wow! I've been looking for a thriving online Hamilton community for awhile, especially one interested in building and development.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:13 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ Welcome!

Do we get a discount price for parking on your lawn during game day?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 8:10 PM

Welcome Civchic. I'm pretty new to the board as well and will be moving just west of your place in a few weeks.

I'm going to auction my extra 2 parking spots on the board ;-).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 8:13 PM

Haha! Well, the lawn is free, but it's first come-first served. There's always beer in a cooler on the porch, as well, and maybe even peanuts.

I love living in this neighborhood, ESPECIALLY on game days. People are always so friendly, walking from their cars to the game, hooting and hollering afterwards (or crying, the last few years). I think it would lose a certain luster if we actually had parking available at Ivor Wynne - much less of a "community feel".

Mind you - I don't have to worry about finding a parking spot!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion