HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 17, 2006, 3:10 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

And back on topic - updated photos for CSU's Fenn Tower (completed), CSU's Parker Hannafin Administration Center, and Stonebridge Plaza.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2006, 4:22 AM
not cleavefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer1708
^Ya well you made it sound like i said that the Superbowl was coming to Cleveland no doubt about it. I said nothing even close to that. I said i know the NFL is considering Cleveland for the superbowl. Cleveland built a new stadium, one of the best in the country, and it is a possibility that in a couple of years Cleveland could hold a superbowl. It they put a dome over the stadium that chance will be even greater.

so lets suppose the nfl lifts its "weather criteria" for the superbowl, opening it up to all cities, that's a very long line to get in, behind to larger metros of chicago, ny, boston.

Hell, i don't think cleveland even meets the hotel criteria either.

I'm only asking you to validate, "the nfl said its considering cleveland in the future....."

Old Posted Aug 17, 2006, 1:04 PM
Steel City USA

Oh trust me if Detroit has the hotels Cleveland certainly does. I get the whole point, the NFL is CONSIDERING Cleveland for the Superbowl. Of course that is years down the road. Many things can happen in those years. Like lets say a new glass dome over the stadium.

Anyway thanks for the updates MayDay. Stonebridge Plaza is coming along nicely.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2006, 3:45 PM
not cleavefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer1708
Oh trust me if Detroit has the hotels Cleveland certainly does. I get the whole point, the NFL is CONSIDERING Cleveland for the Superbowl. Of course that is years down the road. Many things can happen in those years. Like lets say a new glass dome over the stadium.

Anyway thanks for the updates MayDay. Stonebridge Plaza is coming along nicely.
see, now you're flaming.

Detroit metro: 5.5 mil
cleveland metro? 3.1mil?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2006, 5:37 PM
Steel City USA

Ya you have 2 million people over Cleveland. People went to the suburbs for the superbowl in Detroit. I was reading that Cleveland and its surrounding metro have enough hotel rooms to hold a superbowl. I had friends that were up in Detroit for the superbowl and they were telling me the horror stories of the hotel rooms up there and the difficulties they were having. Dont ruin the thread.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 4:25 PM
Steel City USA

MayDay do you have any renderings on the new Cleveland Cavaliers practice facility?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 9:46 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

^It's architectural tripe, located in boring-white-people land. I try to limit my updates to projects within the city limits or significant projects in the inner-ring 'burbs. I can find it and post for you if you'd like but it's nothing to write home about.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 10:11 PM
Steel City USA

Oh thank you. I heard they were planning on building it either in the downtown or the suburbs. Looks like they picked the suburbs. I just read up on it. Guess its getting built in Independence. I know Dan Gilbert did a lot to Quicken Loans Arena and some other things related to the Cavs. I was hoping it would have been built downtown.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2006, 4:52 PM
Steel City USA

I really like this new idea for the Lakefront.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2006, 6:00 PM

hmm i dont think thats new and in fact i would not like a convention center taking up the majority of prime lakefront real-estate. i think the newest plan has that slated for high density residential/mixed-use neighborhood and would be part of developer Bob Stark's $1 billion+ development proposal in the warehouse district

Old Posted Aug 21, 2006, 6:40 PM
Steel City USA

Yes, your right i went back to check the date. And with MayDay's compilations that area west of Browns Stadium is like you said going to be Bob Stark's 1 billion dollar development plan.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2006, 11:27 AM

Key piece going into place
Zaremba project to test downtown housing market
Tuesday, August 22, 2006
Henry J. Gomez
Plain Dealer Reporter
Nathan Zaremba's office offers a view of Jacobs Field and The Q - two sports complexes that taxpayers helped build.

"The public sector has made its investment," the Cleveland developer said as he nodded toward the window. "Now the private sector is making its investment."

Scott Wolstein has a $230 million plan to redevelop the east bank of the Flats. Bob Stark has a $1 billion proposal to make over the Warehouse District. Both would bring more for-sale homes to connected neighborhoods predominantly known for nightlife.

Zaremba envisions a quieter neighborhood. His $250 million Avenue District project would put 426 high-end housing units - ranging in price from $232,000 to more than $1 million - near downtown's eastern edge.

Wolstein's development calls for 330 housing units, along with 250,000 square feet of shops and other retail. Stark's plan is huge: Converting parking lots into 1 million square feet of street-level retail and a 6 million-square-foot mix of office and residential space.

But all eyes are on the Avenue District, which in mid-September is expected to be the first of the three ambitious projects to break ground. With questions about whether there is enough demand to support the explosion of for-sale housing available in and planned for downtown Cleveland, Zaremba's project will play guinea pig.

"Timing is going to be everything with this deal," said David Browning, managing director of the Cleveland office of commercial real estate services firm CB Richard Ellis. "It's a bellwether, that's for sure. It's going to give us a sign if this can work."

Zaremba said the Avenue District has 23 pre-sales - early contracts used to gauge a project's viability - and needs three to five more before beginning construction on the first phase, which will put 50 loft-style homes and eight penthouses at 1211 St. Clair Ave.

Other Cleveland-area developers and real estate watchers marvel at those numbers.

"The Cleveland market is a cautious market," said Werner Minshall, whose Bethesda, Md., firm owns the nearby Tower at Erieview and struggling Galleria shopping mall. "Frankly, a project that is not yet built is always tougher to sell than one that is."

But Minshall said he believes so much in Zaremba's project that he has signed a contract to live at the Avenue District. Minshall commutes downtown from a home on Kelleys Island. Living one block from Erieview would be "absolutely perfect for me," he said.

"I think it will be sold out by the time it's finished."

Even so, the Avenue District's groundbreaking approaches amid mixed signals about the downtown for-sale housing market. Vintage Development Group of Willoughby has shelved its plans for District Park, a 320-unit Warehouse District development.

"Steel prices almost tripled," project manager Michael Marous said.

The plans called for three large buildings on West Ninth Street, and Marous said there were enough pre-sales to break ground. But the company instead decided to focus on projects that could be built in smaller, less-expensive phases, such as the Battery Park development under construction near the Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood on Cleveland's West Side.

District Park "is definitely in our forecast for the future," Marous said.

One block away from where District Park is planned is the recently opened Pinnacle, developer Gus Georgalis' 14-floor building atop a parking garage, with 80 for-sale units. Georgalis said he has sold 55 of them. Prices range from $350,000 for a unit on one of the lower floors to $1.5 million for a penthouse loft overlooking Lake Erie.

"The market is there," said Georgalis, who boasted that he has sold units to lawyers, business consultants and Browns cornerback Gary Baxter.

But more rides on projects such as Zaremba's, which with a combination of lofts, townhouses and penthouses could erase a dreary stretch of parking lots.

"It's a part of downtown that's been fast asleep for a while, and Nate is waking it up," said City Councilman Joe Cimperman, whose ward includes downtown.

Zaremba's project also could inspire more retailers to open stores in the neighborhood.

Downtown boosters were ecstatic in late 2004 when an independent grocery store opened in the Warehouse District. But downtown's two shopping malls - Tower City Center and the Galleria - are struggling. It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem: Some people are uncomfortable living downtown without proximity to retail, and retailers are uncomfortable opening stores in neighborhoods without enough residents to support them.

"To support retail, you need to get more people in or get richer people in," said David O'Neill, managing director for Colliers Ostendorf-Morris, a commercial real estate services firm in Cleveland.

That's why you can bet Wolstein and Stark are eager to see the Avenue District succeed. Each of their developments involves substantial retail components.

"I wish this project success and am pleased it's off to a good start," Wolstein said through his publicist, Nancy Lesic. "The Avenue District offers a new, high-quality residential product downtown, and if it succeeds, it will only help to strengthen the demand" for downtown housing.

In the meantime, Zaremba said to expect what he calls an aggressive "guerrilla" marketing campaign to win over those who "don't think the East Side of downtown is a nice place to live." With 23 presales in less than 3½ months, he thinks he's off to a "remarkable" start.

"Cleveland is at a crossroads," Zaremba said. "It's either going to become a bigger Buffalo or the next Minneapolis."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

hgomez@plaind.com, 216-999-5405

Old Posted Aug 22, 2006, 2:43 PM
Steel City USA

^Wow thats great news. And the Pinnacle has sold over half of its units. Things are really coming along nicely.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 2:42 PM

Commissioners view building designs
Thursday, August 24, 2006
Tom Breckenridge
Plain Dealer Reporter
If early renderings are any indication, Cuyahoga County's new administration building will be a glassy, multistory affair symbolic of commissioners' desires to project an eco-friendly, transparent image.

Three of six architectural teams that are finalists to land the multimillion-dollar design contract detailed their visions Wednesday afternoon. Three other teams will present today, with commissioners expected to choose a design soon for the complex planned at East Ninth Street and Euclid Avenue.

Commissioners spent $22 million to acquire the historic Ameritrust property last year, including the iconic rotunda building and a 28-story tower. Commissioners said the tower would come down, despite its design by renowned Modern architect Marcel Breuer.

County officials estimate the project could take four years to complete.

Commissioners want a cost-effective but distinctive design for the 390,000-square-foot complex. The project will sit between landmarks that bookend East Ninth Street downtown, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum and Jacobs Field.

With some 2,000 employees, the new county complex will also serve as an economic engine.

Commissioners seemed particularly interested in the energy-efficiency of designs. None of the plans included short-term parking for visitors, something Commissioner Jimmy Dimora has repeatedly asked for. "I guess nobody got the memo," an exasperated Dimora said.

The architectural teams were:

Westlake Reed Leskosky, of Cleveland, and Pelli Clarke Pelli, of New Haven, Conn. They presented a U-shaped design, with multistory wings reaching back from the rotunda, separated by an arcade.

The wings meet a glassy, 10-story office building, highlighted by corner atriums. Plans showed roof-top gardens and wind turbines atop the office building.

Perkins + Will, of Chicago, Ill. They showed a wedge-shaped, 15-story building that peaked to the north, with wind turbines atop. Plans showed a top-to-bottom atrium, allowing sunlight to penetrate the building's core.

The office building is separated from the rotunda building by a diagonal arcade.

Kohn Pedersen Fox, of New York, and Robert P. Madison International, of Cleveland. Designs showed a reverse J-shape, with the top of the J looming 10-stories over Euclid Avenue. The building rises to a 15-story peak at Prospect Avenue, curling around an atrium.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 7:08 PM
Steel City USA

^Cool article. Now how many buildings will they be tearing down to build this, or is this taking the place of a parking lot? Also if you get any photos of what any of these buildings look like that would be great. Some of them sound really nice.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 7:27 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

The tall building with the "bathtub" windows is slated to be demolished, as is the shorter building just to the right of it in this pic:

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 7:28 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

The tall building with the "bathtub" windows is slated to be demolished, as is the 5-story building just in front of it in this pic:

Old Posted Aug 24, 2006, 10:20 PM

I read the PD article this morning about the county plans and while the current AT tower is not a pleasing building to look at, I was hoping the county would have at least considered building something equally as tall.

I should be happy, though, as any construction downtown is great news.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2006, 11:23 PM
Steel City USA

^Is the AT Tower going to be built or is it just a proposal? Do you know how tall it will be if it gets built.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2006, 12:26 AM

man that would be one ugly proposal lol

the AT Tower was built in the 70s, for Ameritrust. Its a 450ish ft tall building that blends in with the rest of those sized buildings along E9th. It has abestos so its not being used at the moment. The county wants to use that site for its 2000+ employee HQ and is deciding on what to do with the various buildings on that block.

Paintballer are you on UrbanOhio.com? Theres a whole lot more Cleveland stuff on there if you're interested

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations