HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #201  
Old Posted May 30, 2019, 8:01 PM
ns_kid's Avatar
ns_kid ns_kid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I did not know that the guts of the current Neptune still contained the Garrick. I had assumed when the outside was done that it was a completely new building, but admittedly I didn't pay much attention to Halifax building projects back then.

Thanks for the info!
Yes, while the exterior of the building was substantially rebuilt in 1997, they built around the original auditorium, designed in 1915 (as the Strand Theatre) by Andrew Cobb. There's more about the theatre's history here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #202  
Old Posted May 31, 2019, 11:06 AM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,633
Thanks for that. Very interesting!

Now I'll have to search for construction photos, if any exist online...

(Thanks to the mods for moving these posts to a more appropriate thread! )
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #203  
Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:21 PM
eastcoastal eastcoastal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 976
Here's an interesting format for collecting information related to the urban renewal efforts in Halifax... organized as a "tour"

https://historicnovascotia.ca/tours/show/5
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #204  
Old Posted May 31, 2019, 3:38 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Here's an interesting format for collecting information related to the urban renewal efforts in Halifax... organized as a "tour"

https://historicnovascotia.ca/tours/show/5
I saw that yesterday. The pictures are good and mostly ones we have seen previously. It's a shame the text has a definite slant to it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #205  
Old Posted May 31, 2019, 4:32 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,633
Interesting. I hadn't seen that site before.

It looks like, if you go back to the base home page, https://historicnovascotia.ca/, you can use the map to zero in on particular areas of interest.

I haven't read through many of them, but they don't all seem to have a particular narrative attached to them. That appears to be based on however the particular author decided to portray them (as often happens in historical writing).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #206  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:10 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,320
Canada Permanent Building restoration:





Waye Mason posted these
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #207  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 10:08 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,940
Aside from removing the gold paint on the silver/stainless horizontal and vertical members and removing the railing around the rooftop, what else has changed?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #208  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 11:17 AM
atbw atbw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Aside from removing the gold paint on the silver/stainless horizontal and vertical members and removing the railing around the rooftop, what else has changed?
Looks like not much, though there were hops to have a mesh put back in place along the South side of the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #209  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:12 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Aside from removing the gold paint on the silver/stainless horizontal and vertical members and removing the railing around the rooftop, what else has changed?
All of the panels have been cleaned or replaced. It makes a considerable difference in person. It no longer looks as shabby. They just need to get rid of those weird wooden columns at the Dirty Nellys entrance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #210  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:38 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
They just need to get rid of those weird wooden columns at the Dirty Nellys entrance.
I would certainly agree with that.

I will have to make a rare visit to DT to see it in person.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #211  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:47 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
All of the panels have been cleaned or replaced. It makes a considerable difference in person. It no longer looks as shabby. They just need to get rid of those weird wooden columns at the Dirty Nellys entrance.
Those columns aren't horrible from street level, but I agree it would give a better aesthetic if they were removed, or even shortened by one level. They do hint at the interior of the pub, which apparently was shipped from Ireland and reconstructed in its current location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #212  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 2:32 AM
eastcoastal eastcoastal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Those columns aren't horrible from street level, but I agree it would give a better aesthetic if they were removed, or even shortened by one level. They do hint at the interior of the pub, which apparently was shipped from Ireland and reconstructed in its current location.
I have to disagree - I think all the fake-n-bake oldentimey crap should be pulled off - it's like they hot glued ticky tacky ornamentation they bought at some home improvement store to the outside. Terrible at street level and terrible in these photos.

So there. LOL
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #213  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 2:36 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,320
This reminds me of the TD Centre in Toronto, which was designed by Mies van der Rohe. Aside from having a coherent design as a complex, for the first while they even demanded that the shops inside the mall have uniform signage in the same plain lettering (Helvetica?).

Halifax tends to be the opposite, where people kind of do whatever they want to any building and everything is a mish mash of styles. Of course much of Toronto is like this too.

There's a happy medium. I feel like right now Halifax is too far on the haphazard end of the spectrum, and there are a lot of parts of the city that would look dramatically nicer with a bit of cosmetic improvement and uniformity or faithfulness to original architectural styling.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #214  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 10:29 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This reminds me of the TD Centre in Toronto, which was designed by Mies van der Rohe. Aside from having a coherent design as a complex, for the first while they even demanded that the shops inside the mall have uniform signage in the same plain lettering (Helvetica?).
That seemed to be a thing for a while. When Scotia Square mall first opened all of the shops had uniform storefront signage. The only choice was whether the letters were white or yellow.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #215  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 12:56 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,500
The only thing missing from the photo above is someone sitting at the fountain smoking a cigarette.
__________________
I can't hear you with my eyes closed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #216  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 1:04 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I have to disagree - I think all the fake-n-bake oldentimey crap should be pulled off - it's like they hot glued ticky tacky ornamentation they bought at some home improvement store to the outside. Terrible at street level and terrible in these photos.

So there. LOL
Don't hold back... Tell us how you really feel!
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:11 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.