HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 2:38 AM

Forgot to mention it, but foundation equipment is on site for the huge Ace Hardware lot at Elston and Belmont. Going to really transform that corner.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 3:45 PM

RPM on the water

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:02 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Forgot to mention it, but foundation equipment is on site for the huge Ace Hardware lot at Elston and Belmont. Going to really transform that corner.
What’s going up there again?

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:05 PM
The City

^ Seconded. I've been wondering that since he posted it

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:07 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
So you still think the West Loop office market is a fad huh?
For anything other than a smattering of small, boutique office space, West of the expressway makes as little planning sense as ever for office. And certainly for any concentration of dense office usage - it makes no sense.

But, ya know, planning....Chicago....don’t usually belong in the same sentence....

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
What’s going up there again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Seconded. I've been wondering that since he posted it
Nothing too sexy, but a huge improvement for that corner, really filling in a huge missing tooth. Should provide a nice shot of density and vibrancy to that area as well. The final design is the top image, the original proposal is the bottom:

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...ment-deb-mell/

There was a huge NIMBY shit storm over this one and, frankly, I don't blame them since the original design was ass ugly and had all the parking traffic entering and exiting through the alley which is shared with a quiet residential side street full of SFH and two flats. The good news is that the Avondale Neighborhood Association was able to work with the neighbors and the developer to find a solution to the parking issue that I think is a win win for everyone. All the parking in this building is actually in a partial basement (shocking for something of this size) with 1.5 floor high retail bays on the street side and then a "1st floor" of apartments elevated .5 floors off the ground on top of the parking along the alley. Obviously adding a curb cut on Belmont is not ideal, but trading that for burying the parking and getting retail along almost the entire first floor was worth it. The curb cut was also pushed as far from the intersection as physically possible which is nice. Here's a diagram from the article showing what I'm talking about:

The other nice thing that ANA was able to get done here was to make the developer do some "place making" with a fairly nice architectural feature on the corner of Belmont and Elston. The little rotunda feature will not only hold the corner, but creates some interesting apartments and will also allow for a small triangular "plaza" type space on the corner that will hopefully become a patio for a cafe or restaurant eventually.

PS: my favorite feature of the parking is that the only parking that isn't buried is like 20 spaces in a surface lot along the alley. Those extra 20 spaces were at the request of the neighbors who were complaining about traffic through their alley and now they get to look at them forever. I tried hard to explain to them that agitating for more parking when you are concerned about the number of cars passing through your alley made no sense, but they wanted their damn parking so they got it and now have to live with it in perpetuity.

Last edited by LouisVanDerWright; May 28, 2019 at 3:02 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
For anything other than a smattering of small, boutique office space, West of the expressway makes as little planning sense as ever for office. And certainly for any concentration of dense office usage - it makes no sense.

But, ya know, planning....Chicago....don’t usually belong in the same sentence....
Really the office explosion in the fulton market doesnt make sense and was unforseen by few outside of sterling bay. The catalyst was the Morgan St station and the rehab of the cold storage bldg for Google. But the advent of uber made quick trips from the Metra stations and neighborhoods like WP Ukranian Village, Logan, UIC feasible. Also the new larger office developments have large amounts of parking. I suspect there will be even more complaints on traffic when these bldgs fill up with tenants and the ride share traffic increases.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:25 PM

People are already bitching about the commute. If you are committed to CTA, notably the trains, that area not great. Switching to the Green Line from any of the other lines REALLY slows things down. Adds significant time to commute.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Really the office explosion in the fulton market doesnt make sense and was unforseen by few outside of sterling bay. The catalyst was the Morgan St station and the rehab of the cold storage bldg for Google. But the advent of uber made quick trips from the Metra stations and neighborhoods like WP Ukranian Village, Logan, UIC feasible. Also the new larger office developments have large amounts of parking. I suspect there will be even more complaints on traffic when these bldgs fill up with tenants and the ride share traffic increases.
Morgan was a huge catalyst, but let's not forget that Halsted is roughly as far from Union/Ogalvie as Clark St. Locating west of Halsted is no less logical than locating East of Clark given the existence of Morgan. The West Loop is served by 3 different L lines and is just as close to the Metra commuters as anywhere in the East side of the Loop. I think a lot of people just can't fathom that the world exists outside of the Brown/Red lines...

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Nothing too sexy, but a huge improvement for that corner, really filling in a huge missing tooth. Should provide a nice shot of density and vibrancy to that area as well. The final design is the top image, the original proposal is the bottom:
Good god, that design is straight outta 2000: Gargantuan expanses of tan 'masonry', faux quoining, recessed retail entrances (which will otherwise function as urinals, trash receptacles), grossly over-scaled everything -- yuck.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:08 PM
The City

Quote:
^ We need more people like you in neighborhood zoning committees.

Better, yet, we need you to run for Alderman.

LVDW for Alderman! (just promise me you won't shake me down since I own property in your ward )

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:09 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
People are already bitching about the commute. If you are committed to CTA, notably the trains, that area not great. Switching to the Green Line from any of the other lines REALLY slows things down. Adds significant time to commute.
^ That's why Pilsen is poppin'

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:12 PM

Has anyone seen the New McD's at 2315 W Ogden?

It looks brand new and is 2 stories - right around the IMD area. I was driving through the other day and surprised by the design and density given it's surrounded by a sea of vacant land.

I realize it's fast food...

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:

From the Ogilvie train platforms to Franklin and Jackson is a 14 minute walk.
If I head straight west on Randolph, 14 minutes gets me to Aberdeen, two blocks past Morgan.

Or look at it this way: I'd say the West Loop around Morgan is more easily accessible by a larger population than the Northwestern medical campus in Streeterville is.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Good god, that design is straight outta 2000: Gargantuan expanses of tan 'masonry', faux quoining, recessed retail entrances (which will otherwise function as urinals, trash receptacles), grossly over-scaled everything -- yuck.
Yeah, the aesthetics leave a lot to be desired, but it's an improvement over the mish mash of hardy board and metal panels they first proposed. Also, the rendering sucks and this could end up pretty decent if the developer bucks up for above average masonry details.

The retail doors really aren't a choice, city code forces you to recess them like that which I agree is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ We need more people like you in neighborhood zoning committees.

Better, yet, we need you to run for Alderman.

LVDW for Alderman! (just promise me you won't shake me down since I own property in your ward )
Absolutely not, the last thing I want is to be dealing with the horrendous local politics of Chicago on a full time basis, lol. I'm just trying to do my part to keep my neighborhood from devolving into shrieking groups of NIMBY harpys shouting down literally everything that comes their way. We've been pretty successful so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Has anyone seen the New McD's at 2315 W Ogden?

It looks brand new and is 2 stories - right around the IMD area. I was driving through the other day and surprised by the design and density given it's surrounded by a sea of vacant land.

I realize it's fast food...
Yeah, it was such a bizarre take on a MCD that I thought it was going to be a drive thru Starbucks until they applied the logos. There is actually a lot of new development going on in Tri Taylor. There's a whole block of new SFH's that just sold out on Grenshaw West of Campbell and they are breaking ground on another half block of them just to the North of that even adding a whole new street like some tract housing development in the suburbs to service them. The street isn't even being worked on yet and they are already digging foundations with the trucks driving in through the mud.

They are even wrapping up another SFH home on a vacant lot at the end of the famed Claremont Cottages. Too bad there's a handful of those cottages that might not make it unless someone rehabs them like NOW. So concerned about this one that I might even try to buy it myself and flip it (or maybe even hold it for myself if I can get the lot next door).

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Good to see that area fill in. We used to go to Kuma's there all the time.
Did you happen to see a rendering of the other side of the corner? The Elston side? Are those small buildings along Elston remaining (Bucket O Blood Books and Records, etc)?

Also across the street, is there an active proposal for the Elson/California intersection? That's a big lot too. As is the lot Burger King is squatting on. They should give that up now that it's walled off to the north and west.

Last edited by aaron38; May 28, 2019 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 3:01 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago...operty-listing
Quote:
A legislative measure intended to greatly limit what Stillman and company can build “as of right” without having to approach the community or alderman for approvals was introduced by Mell. The proposed ordinance would downzone 3148-3162 N. Elston from B3-1 Community Shopping District to RS-1 Residential Single-Unit (Detached House) District—essentially restricting the site to single family homes or two-flats.
Is this still the latest on Elston and California? Single family homes at a major intersection out of spite? Crap like this is what Lightfoot needs to deal with.

Edit: Ha ha, it gets better. Mell lost in April by 13 votes! Maybe if she hadn’t spent her career blocking housing there would have been enough new residents in her district happy to have new housing to re-elect her.
Oh well, so sad.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post

Is this still the latest on Elston and California? Single family homes at a major intersection out of spite? Crap like this is what Lightfoot needs to deal with.

Edit: Ha ha, it gets better. Mell lost in April by 13 votes! Maybe if she hadn’t spent her career blocking housing there would have been enough new residents in her district happy to have new housing to re-elect her.
Oh well, so sad.
According to the city zoning map, yep. The site is surrounded on all sides by B3-1 zoning.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:

Oh well, so sad.
Yup Mell downzoned them for listing it with a remdering and everything saying "this project is approved by the alderman and neighborhood groups" when in reality he hadn't approached anyone.

Normally I think downzoning is stupid, but this assclown has demonstrated that they are a total skeezeball willing to defraud buyers and probably also willing to build something awful there as of right. The downzoning was actually not just to punish him, but to prevent him from slapping up more auto oriented retail on a corner where a nice residential building is perfect. In other words, the community is not against something higher than the original B3-1 there, but the owner is so slimey that they were afraid he would do something awful like build a drive thru bank while everyone was looking the other way. We would love for someone reputable to come to us with a plan. I don't think that will happen until the Ace site is done and dully leased, unfortunately even East Avondale is something of the "wild west" for institutional grade apartment construction.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:

Oh well, so sad.
Wait until you find out what Rodriguez-Sanchez thinks about new housing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development