HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     
Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1381  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:55 PM
ASU Diablo ASU Diablo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
So I'm curious. Is the dorm going to be in addition to the student housing that will get built as part of the Central Station development, or is this going to be as part of the Central Station project?
If the article quoted Crow accurately, then my guess is that Central Station dorm will be a separate, 2nd one. Thunderbird will be coming online Jan 2021 so those new graduate students will need a place. The Electric Red RFP quotes a late 2022/early 2023 completion date for both towers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1382  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:56 PM
ASU Diablo ASU Diablo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Says north of the ymca, for some reason I remeber an article or a rumor about asu buying or planning to develop the swc of Filmore and 1st ave across from the circle k

Idk why that’s in my head
Yes, ASU did buy those parcels, ones directly south of the BofA drive-thru ATM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1383  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:04 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,219
So we could be seeing 2 more student towers in addition to Central Station? I can live with that.
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1384  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:20 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
So we could be seeing 2 more student towers in addition to Central Station? I can live with that.
ehy 400 units on a potentially long rectangular lot...maybe not a tower
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1385  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:29 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
ehy 400 units on a potentially long rectangular lot...maybe not a tower
True. Let's hope they divide up the lots for multi-purpose use.
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1386  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:32 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
If the article quoted Crow accurately, then my guess is that Central Station dorm will be a separate, 2nd one. Thunderbird will be coming online Jan 2021 so those new graduate students will need a place. The Electric Red RFP quotes a late 2022/early 2023 completion date for both towers.
Yeah I was just thinking with those timelines really all of these projects need to get moving in the next couple of months.

Especially Thunderbird and the Biomedical building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1387  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:18 PM
Classical in Phoenix's Avatar
Classical in Phoenix Classical in Phoenix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: A place with bigger haboobs than yours
Posts: 442
https://downtowndevil.com/2018/11/01...form=hootsuite

Just an article on Thunderbird, no real news other than a couple of renderings and a completion date of April 2021. I wish I had known about the open house.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1388  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:33 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
https://downtowndevil.com/2018/11/01...form=hootsuite

Just an article on Thunderbird, no real news other than a couple of renderings and a completion date of April 2021. I wish I had known about the open house.
I mean thats basically 2 years, they need to get moving.

Edit: Actually the caption on the picture is missing a word but it seems like it says its supposed to get started by January 19'
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1389  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 11:40 PM
Classical in Phoenix's Avatar
Classical in Phoenix Classical in Phoenix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: A place with bigger haboobs than yours
Posts: 442
Good find. I was struggling with what they were trying to say there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1390  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:09 AM
phoenixwillrise phoenixwillrise is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 319
New Research Building to Break Ground Soon

By Angela Gonzales – Senior Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
2 hours ago
Arizona State University is quietly preparing to break ground on a $77 million research center on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus in downtown Phoenix.

Baltimore-based Wexford Science & Technology LLC, a real estate company that builds research and medical centers nationwide, is building the project, which is being financed by Ventas Inc. (NYSE: VTR), a Chicago-based real estate investment trust.

The 200,000-square-foot Wexford Science and Technology building is an important step in ASU's expansion of its research footprint in downtown Phoenix and facilitating the growth of private sector investment in bioscience and health technology, said Morgan Olsen, executive vice president, treasurer and CFO of ASU.

“This is an important part of the strategy to attract private investment in that industry to downtown Phoenix and will help a robust biomedical technology ecosystem develop there," he said. "ASU is pleased to partner with Wexford, which has done this successfully in other places. The city of Phoenix has been an extraordinary partner, and this represents exciting progress for all involved.”

Christine Mackay, economic development director for the city of Phoenix, which owns the 7-acre vacant parcel, said the property is north of Fillmore Street to Garfield Street, between Third and Sixth streets, which is northwest of the 220,000-square-foot UA Cancer Center at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1391  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:59 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,436
No need to link the whole article,

Basically ASU is short on housing downtown so they are paying neighborhood apartments to give discounts to freshman.

https://downtowndevil.com/2019/02/14...udent-housing/

I find it strange how slow ASU is to build student housing downtown, they have the land and the money Taylor place is the 1st and only dorm built downtown and it was built 10 years ago.

Seems strange to have not built additional dormitories or one of the many student housing companies ASU deals with constantly in Tempe to build something downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1392  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:02 PM
azsunsurfer azsunsurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
No need to link the whole article,

Basically ASU is short on housing downtown so they are paying neighborhood apartments to give discounts to freshman.

https://downtowndevil.com/2019/02/14...udent-housing/

I find it strange how slow ASU is to build student housing downtown, they have the land and the money Taylor place is the 1st and only dorm built downtown and it was built 10 years ago.

Seems strange to have not built additional dormitories or one of the many student housing companies ASU deals with constantly in Tempe to build something downtown.
There was an article in AZBEX the other day about upcoming education projects and it mentioned that ASU was looking at long term plans/ funding for new dorms downtown. Possibly entering into joint partnerships for development. It said there were no concrete plans yet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1393  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:07 PM
Mr.RE Mr.RE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
There was an article in AZBEX the other day about upcoming education projects and it mentioned that ASU was looking at long term plans/ funding for new dorms downtown. Possibly entering into joint partnerships for development. It said there were no concrete plans yet.
Isnt the Central station project supposed to have one 18 story tower dedicated to student housing?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1394  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:20 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Isnt the Central station project supposed to have one 18 story tower dedicated to student housing?
That's what I thought...and Link Phase 2...could supposedly be student housing...while not confirmed.
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1395  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:48 PM
Phxguy Phxguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 722
A graduate student "dorm" is planned to be built at 384 N 1st Ave, taking over that parking lot from the YMCA, those two boarded up buildings, and up to that Bank of America drive-thru on Fillmore. This was confirmed at the last DVC meeting I attended, is supposed to be like 9-10 stories from what I remember with a starting date of later this year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1396  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:25 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
A graduate student "dorm" is planned to be built at 384 N 1st Ave, taking over that parking lot from the YMCA, those two boarded up buildings, and up to that Bank of America drive-thru on Fillmore. This was confirmed at the last DVC meeting I attended, is supposed to be like 9-10 stories from what I remember with a starting date of later this year.
Terrible, Shrink that footprint and make it 20 stories.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1397  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:38 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Terrible, Shrink that footprint and make it 20 stories.
I agree. ASU is taking up a just a tad bit too much Downtown land. Granted, ASU was a primary catalyst for the rebound of Downtown Phoenix, but now that Downtown has apparently hit it's stride, time for ASU to build a little taller and leave some space for future office, residential and retail.
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1398  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:48 PM
stutteringpunk stutteringpunk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I agree. ASU is taking up a just a tad bit too much Downtown land. Granted, ASU was a primary catalyst for the rebound of Downtown Phoenix, but now that Downtown has apparently hit it's stride, time for ASU to build a little taller and leave some space for future office, residential and retail.
They have the tendency to do that in Tempe too. Most of what's been shown for the Novus corridor so far has been mid to low rise office and residential buildings. It's frustrating as hell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1399  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:54 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,436
Im always amazed at how academia constantly criticizes corporations and the like yet are some of the worst when it comes to everything from Pay to time off to work/life balance and even urban form.
  • Build a 20 story student housing monolith with shitty design between a stadium, Parking Garage Empty lot and pool in 2012
  • Build a low rise apartment building downtown on prime realestate 7 years later in a booming market

I dont get it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1400  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:25 PM
combusean's Avatar
combusean combusean is offline
Skyriser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Alameda, San José, California
Posts: 5,504
^What 20 story building? University House? That was private. But the dorms behind Palo Verde near Manzanita are bad, and the frat village is an abomination.

ASU's real estate office is everything wrong with academia--purposeless administrative bloat. They have to be the worst neighbor in real estate in the state. Stagnancy like downtown Phoenix landbankers, planning worse than lot & rendering condomania, and development is just a step up from O'Neill Printing with how it engages with the community.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:42 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.