HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6801  
Old Posted May 3, 2019, 11:09 PM
blueandgoldguy blueandgoldguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
That's....not great? I was under the impression a business plan has been coming soon for months now.

This was from three months ago:
Leblanc appears to be all bluster and no substance. Seems par for the course for him.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6802  
Old Posted May 3, 2019, 11:37 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Leblanc appears to be all bluster and no substance. Seems par for the course for him.
He said late spring and it's May 3.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6803  
Old Posted May 4, 2019, 12:04 AM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
Haru Urara
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 6,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
He said late spring and it's May 3.
January 12, 2018:
Quote:
" ... and we’re getting ready to finalize economic impact analysis to go to the city and to the province with a proposal of how we can work together. We hope to have something to both those bodies in the next four to six weeks.
https://ottawasun.com/sports/footbal...-pushing-ahead


October 30, 2018:
Quote:
Once a proposal is received in the coming months from MFLP, HRM will assemble a cross-functional team of professional staff to do the business case review and due diligence. There may be a need to contract with external consultants on some aspects of the review if needed.
https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...1030rc1415.pdf


December 21, 2018:
Quote:
He says the group expected to submit a business analysis to the Halifax Regional Municipality as early as today.
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/atlantic...soon-1.4227307


March 19, 2019:
Quote:
The municipality is also waiting for the ownership group to present a business plan.

We’re here waiting for a formal proposal from the proponent. What we understand is coming is going to be something that would look at a stadium and a commercial district somewhere in the municipality,” said Brendan Elliott, a senior communications advisor with the Halifax Regional Municipality.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5071350/m...wnership-team/


March 30, 2019:
Quote:
“I’d say we’re about 90 per cent done for … the proposal to go to (the Halifax Regional Municipality) and to the province,” he told the crowd.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5114376/s...-to-land-deal/


May 1 2019:
Quote:
Schooners Sports is to present a detailed business plan to the municipality but that plan is predicated on completion of the Canada Lands deal, Leblanc says.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=1#post8561772

Emphasis added mine.

Leblanc has repeatedly proven that he's willing to set timelines and deadlines which mean effectively nothing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6804  
Old Posted May 4, 2019, 1:12 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Leblanc has repeatedly proven that he's willing to set timelines and deadlines which mean effectively nothing.
I guess. This is pretty standard for this type of project. There are a lot of moving parts and nobody really knows how long it will take. Canada Lands isn't fast, HRM council and staff aren't going to be fast.

I don't think the delays warrant negativity. They don't mean much one way or the other.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6805  
Old Posted May 4, 2019, 1:21 AM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't think the delays warrant negativity. They don't mean much one way or the other.
Sure they do, to people who have an agenda against this project and/or the CFL.

I've said it all along, generally takes about eight years in this country to get a stadium from first concept to final construction, Regina was slightly faster.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6806  
Old Posted May 4, 2019, 11:43 PM
TheNovaScotian's Avatar
TheNovaScotian TheNovaScotian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 171
With a big 2 - 1 win, The Halifax Wanderers bring professional football back to the Warden of the North.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/thri...oment-halifax/

I couldn't even get a ticket for some friends and I because it was sold out. The city had a great vibe, I was out for tacos and there was families in jerseys everywhere, even on a cold rainy day. Spring Garden was lively and thought about the day they might need something more than 6200 seats. We could host playoff games or tourneys, I think Halifax has more of a need for a stadium than people think. Beyond the recent growth, it would go a long way for this city to play on its international connections. Think of some of the possibilities of what a World Cup game would do to the reputation of the city. Televised sports can go a long way for a cities ability to put on large events.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6807  
Old Posted May 7, 2019, 12:55 AM
blueandgoldguy blueandgoldguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Sure they do, to people who have an agenda against this project and/or the CFL.

I've said it all along, generally takes about eight years in this country to get a stadium from first concept to final construction, Regina was slightly faster.
Actually Regina was around 10 years. They first seriously considered a new stadium back in 2007..back then it was about a multi-purpose domed stadium. I agree it is around 8 - 10 years from the idea of a stadium being expressed publicly to the completion of construction.

I have no agenda, but I do not trust leblanc one bit and have no faith in any project associated with him. If this succeeds, I think it will be in spite of his association. The quotes from JHikka above remind me the promises and false deadlines he gave when involved with the Coyotes a few years ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6808  
Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:06 AM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Actually Regina was around 10 years. They first seriously considered a new stadium back in 2007..back then it was about a multi-purpose domed stadium. I agree it is around 8 - 10 years from the idea of a stadium being expressed publicly to the completion of construction.

I have no agenda, but I do not trust leblanc one bit and have no faith in any project associated with him. If this succeeds, I think it will be in spite of his association. The quotes from JHikka above remind me the promises and false deadlines he gave when involved with the Coyotes a few years ago.
I don't think that is right about Regina, we may have a different measuring stick but when I think they first got serious it was spring and summer 2009. Stadium Concept Review: A Summary Report

I can see where some have issues with LeBlanc but that shouldn't cause alarm bells just because we have no clue how much financing is behind him. After all, as far as I know he was able to meet a 50 million dollar payroll in Phoenix. A CFL payroll is 5 million. Just because he doesn't want to put all his money into a stadium doesn't make him much different than many other owners.

I don't think you will ever see jhikka post one positive piece of news on a CFL stadium or team regardless if Leblanc said it or not. I myself have gone on record as saying if this is another Renegades venture (no properly financed ownership) I'd rather not have it than see it fail later.

I can't see why Ambrosie would allow this to go ahead if LeBlanc didn't have bona fides, what would there be to gain by it? And also, why would it still be going on for this long? Does Leblanc's mouth write cheques he can't cash right away? Probably so, but that still doesn't explain how he could carry another owner and Tom Cochrane with him.

Maybe this will all crash, I don't know, but the last proposal made some sense and is surely doable especially when measured against what every other large city in this country has done.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6809  
Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:27 AM
blueandgoldguy blueandgoldguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I don't think that is right about Regina, we may have a different measuring stick but when I think they first got serious it was spring and summer 2009. Stadium Concept Review: A Summary Report

I can see where some have issues with LeBlanc but that shouldn't cause alarm bells just because we have no clue how much financing is behind him. After all, as far as I know he was able to meet a 50 million dollar payroll in Phoenix. A CFL payroll is 5 million. Just because he doesn't want to put all his money into a stadium doesn't make him much different than many other owners.

I don't think you will ever see jhikka post one positive piece of news on a CFL stadium or team regardless if Leblanc said it or not. I myself have gone on record as saying if this is another Renegades venture (no properly financed ownership) I'd rather not have it than see it fail later.

I can't see why Ambrosie would allow this to go ahead if LeBlanc didn't have bona fides, what would there be to gain by it? And also, why would it still be going on for this long? Does Leblanc's mouth write cheques he can't cash right away? Probably so, but that still doesn't explain how he could carry another owner and Tom Cochrane with him.

Maybe this will all crash, I don't know, but the last proposal made some sense and is surely doable especially when measured against what every other large city in this country has done.
You can never underestimate the persuasiveness of some people. See John Spanos the would-be owner of the New York Islanders and Boots Del Biaggio wanna-be owner of the Kansas City NHL team. We will see what happens, but I will be pleasantly surprised if this stadium plan goes ahead with a substantial contribution from Leblanc's group toward the actual permanent part of the stadium. In that interview he gave alongside someone else, it did not sound like the ownership group would only contribute towards the operating cost of the stadium and the lease fee for the temporary seats.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6810  
Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:46 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
You can never underestimate the persuasiveness of some people. See John Spanos the would-be owner of the New York Islanders and Boots Del Biaggio wanna-be owner of the Kansas City NHL team. We will see what happens, but I will be pleasantly surprised if this stadium plan goes ahead with a substantial contribution from Leblanc's group toward the actual permanent part of the stadium. In that interview he gave alongside someone else, it did not sound like the ownership group would only contribute towards the operating cost of the stadium and the lease fee for the temporary seats.
Is this really a bad thing?

It amounts to the city building a modest stadium with a small-ish amount of seating that is available for much of the time for other uses for free, and getting bonus seating and a CFL team.

Not too long ago the city proposed building an only somewhat more modest stadium with no CFL team on the horizon (and maybe it wouldn't have been suitable).
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6811  
Old Posted May 7, 2019, 7:35 PM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
See John Spanos the would-be owner of the New York Islanders and Boots Del Biaggio wanna-be owner of the Kansas City NHL team.
One would think with infamous examples like that Ambrosie would have done his due diligence, him being a financial guy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6812  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 9:16 PM
c-way-dude c-way-dude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 213
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6813  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 9:19 PM
c-way-dude c-way-dude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
One would think with infamous examples like that Ambrosie would have done his due diligence, him being a financial guy.
According to a couple of posters from Saskatchewan on the CFL site, Drummond is very wealthy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6814  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 12:28 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 18,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-way-dude View Post
Well, I bought four tickets, and with fees and taxes, I was set back nearly $600.00

That's getting pretty pricey for the average Joe. I realize I have the second highest ticket price for my seats but Geez........

I've been to every Touchdown Atlantic in Moncton, and these tickets are by far the most expensive I've ever bought.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6815  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 2:23 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,633

Wow! That's not likely to draw in the casual fan, or the curious person who might want to give it a look in the event that they could become a regular fan in the future...

I'm assuming the prices are set as such due to limited seating and the fact that it is not a regular event, but still it's a shame that it will be limiting attendance to those who are reasonably well off, and not those who are just scraping by but would like to attend...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6816  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:02 AM
blueandgoldguy blueandgoldguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,703
Late spring is over and not a word from Leblanc. Deadlines mean nothing to him.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6817  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:17 AM
Colin May Colin May is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Late spring is over and not a word from Leblanc. Deadlines mean nothing to him.
Why didn't he buy the Alouettes ? The business must be a bit of a mess with no buyer and and another willing seller in Vancouver with no buyers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6818  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:20 AM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Why didn't he buy the Alouettes ? The business must be a bit of a mess with no buyer and and another willing seller in Vancouver with no buyers.
Fake news, Alouettes have at least two suitors at this moment (two others were previously rumoured) and Braley has had several suitors and is not willing to sell yet.

Stick to Halifax city council your CFL knowledge is lacking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6819  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:39 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,633
I don't think late spring was a reasonable expectation:

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...-swirl-307700/

Date of the article was May 1...
Quote:
Brendan Elliott, a spokesman for the municipality, said it will take municipal staff some time to go through any Schooners’ proposal before presenting it to council.

“Ultimately, it will be council’s decision on how to proceed, based on the details that are in the business plan,” Elliott said. “We don’t have a business plan yet.”

Jacques Dube, the chief administrative officer for the municipality, has said in the past that it will take staff six months to pore over a formal proposal once it is received.
Although... previously, Canada Day was a date that was tossed around...

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...da-day-281961/
Quote:
“Everybody agrees that we have to figure out if this is a go or a no-go by the midpoint of this year,” said Anthony LeBlanc, one of three principal owners of the Atlantic Schooners franchise.

By Canada Day, LeBlanc hopes to have a definitive answer for Halifax fans.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6820  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 12:17 AM
Colin May Colin May is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,161
HRM Financial Statements for year ending March 31 2019 show a $26.1 million surplus; just in time for pre-election spending over the next 15 months.
Deed Transfer Tax was $9 million over the budget of $37 million.
https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default.../190626ac4.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:33 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.