HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 4:37 PM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:08 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This one's pretty subtle but I thought it was interesting since it looks so much nicer with a bit of upkeep. This is the Canada Permanent Building in Halifax, built 1961-1962.

Pre-facelift

Source

There are a lot of buildings like this around that could either look dumpy or nice with a bit of maintenance. And sometimes their owners argue that they should be demolished when they are left to rot on purpose so people don't see their potential.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I thought this post about "dumbing down" heritage was interesting too:

https://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedin...-dumb-me-down/

He talks about this site, Admiralty House. This was built in the 1810's and was the official residence of the admiral commanding the British Navy in North America.

Source

He took this picture in the 70's, back when the gate was crumbling but still maybe original:

The gate was in a poor state of repair. Unfortunately, they rebuilt the masonry with simpler posts. At some point somebody also planted trees that obscure the building. There's a balance to be struck with greenery; more isn't always better. They didn't rebuild the lantern.

They did rebuild a similar carriage lantern at Province House. Hopefully Admiralty House will one day have its lantern restored too.

Source

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 3:34 AM

That masonry work is a disgrace to the original, it's not hard to carve out a replica. Why can't the fab shops get it right????

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:44 AM
613/819

Nearly all the original masonry is gone. They even poured concrete into the wall to replace a stone because they were missing extras or just got lazy. I don’t get why they could not just restore the original stones then put them back in.

Last edited by le calmar; Jun 21, 2019 at 12:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:38 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This one's pretty subtle but I thought it was interesting since it looks so much nicer with a bit of upkeep. This is the Canada Permanent Building in Halifax, built 1961-1962.

Pre-facelift

Source

There are a lot of buildings like this around that could either look dumpy or nice with a bit of maintenance. And sometimes their owners argue that they should be demolished when they are left to rot on purpose so people don't see their potential.
I liked it better with the gold accents.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada