HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 5:07 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,744
No pic, but the lights in the basement were left on and I could see that a fair amount of work has been going on in there with new concrete floors and studs poured.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 3:30 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,744
A shot looking into the basement window on Sackville street.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 4:40 PM
counterfactual counterfactual is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
A shot looking into the basement window on Sackville street.

So, not exactly "harbour views".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 12:18 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
A shot looking into the basement window on Sackville street.
Next time you're in the area, ask them to clean the windows so we can get a better view!

Seriously, it looks like significant work going on there. Could you get a good look at what progress has been made?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 10:16 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Next time you're in the area, ask them to clean the windows so we can get a better view!

Seriously, it looks like significant work going on there. Could you get a good look at what progress has been made?
This and a few other basement/foundation columns have been poured. It will be interesting to see how this one sprouts up through the old building instead of just ripping it out and saving the shell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 11:19 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This and a few other basement/foundation columns have been poured. It will be interesting to see how this one sprouts up through the old building instead of just ripping it out and saving the shell.
Makes one wonder why this is viable but the Doyle Block isn't. If the Doyle Block used a similar approach and saved most of the old buildings on the SGR side it would be a great development (I think a modern facade on the Doyle side would be okay, and potentially an improvement).

Anyway, thanks for the photos. This one's easy to forget about since it's next to some much larger developments, but it'll be a nice improvement to the area as well.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 1:06 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Makes one wonder why this is viable but the Doyle Block isn't. If the Doyle Block used a similar approach and saved most of the old buildings on the SGR side it would be a great development (I think a modern facade on the Doyle side would be okay, and potentially an improvement).

Anyway, thanks for the photos. This one's easy to forget about since it's next to some much larger developments, but it'll be a nice improvement to the area as well.
Most things are possible if there is a will to do something; makes me think of clear cutting forests, much easier than trying to save some of the landscape while harvesting some trees; and once the old growth is gone...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 1:56 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This and a few other basement/foundation columns have been poured. It will be interesting to see how this one sprouts up through the old building instead of just ripping it out and saving the shell.
Thanks!

I really like the way they are doing this one - a practical way to build a nice, new development while maintaining the character of the original building. I think it will be really cool when it's done.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 1:57 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Makes one wonder why this is viable but the Doyle Block isn't. If the Doyle Block used a similar approach and saved most of the old buildings on the SGR side it would be a great development (I think a modern facade on the Doyle side would be okay, and potentially an improvement).

Anyway, thanks for the photos. This one's easy to forget about since it's next to some much larger developments, but it'll be a nice improvement to the area as well.
Completely agree!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 1:59 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Most things are possible if there is a will to do something; makes me think of clear cutting forests, much easier than trying to save some of the landscape while harvesting some trees; and once the old growth is gone...
That's the key point for the Doyle Block and some other projects as well. There is no will to do this as it's easier/cheaper to just knock it down and build anew. In the Doyle Block case there doesn't even appear to be any will to build new building that's attractive, IMHO...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 3:01 PM
eastcoastal eastcoastal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Makes one wonder why this is viable but the Doyle Block isn't. If the Doyle Block used a similar approach and saved most of the old buildings on the SGR side it would be a great development (I think a modern facade on the Doyle side would be okay, and potentially an improvement).

Anyway, thanks for the photos. This one's easy to forget about since it's next to some much larger developments, but it'll be a nice improvement to the area as well.
Hopefully, next time we are told its impossible to save the existing, this'll give us something to point to, and we can understand what's really meant is that the developer doesn't WANT to save it (and I assume we can also understand that not everything needs to be saved).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 3:24 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
That's the key point for the Doyle Block and some other projects as well. There is no will to do this as it's easier/cheaper to just knock it down and build anew. In the Doyle Block case there doesn't even appear to be any will to build new building that's attractive, IMHO...
I think that's basically correct. It's easier and cheaper to doze the block and build new, and the Westwood folks seem to be lacking in imagination as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:16 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,625
Not much change externally from last summer:



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted May 16, 2016, 6:31 PM
Ziobrop's Avatar
Ziobrop Ziobrop is offline
armchairitect
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Halifax
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Not much change externally from last summer:



they poured a concrete floor the other week at the market street level. so i suspect the basement work is complete.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted May 17, 2016, 5:42 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,744
This site had been very quiet over the past few months, but in the last week I've started to see workers and trucks again and they were pouring some concrete for something this morning.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted May 25, 2016, 10:40 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,744
Construction now in full swing again on the site. And I only noticed after I posted this pic that the back half of the building has been taken down.

20160525_154352_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:48 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,744
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 8:37 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,744
An excavator showed up on site yesterday and it has been really busy?!

From this afternoon.

2016-06-02_04-32-04 by Jonovision23, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 1:59 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,315
Slightly different angle:


Source
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 12:01 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Love that shot. Can't help but be impressed by the precision of the granite work at the entrance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:04 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.