HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 3:14 AM

Well damn, I was really hoping we would get something taller. The upside is that this box thing isn't the final design so hopefully the main building will end up looking alot better.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 3:27 AM

What is it with buildings in this town? It seems like they're 18, 19, 29, or 30 stories.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 3:39 AM

Nice design, but it's definitely not 'signature'. I would be more on board if the student housing were replaced with office. Is ASU or UA involved?

I would feel less inclined to rent a luxury apartment within a student housing development.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 7:43 AM

At least the student housing is in a separate building.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
What is it with buildings in this town? It seems like they're 18, 19, 29, or 30 stories.
At least we have 3 30 somethings on deck after 20 years of 20 storiy towers or less

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 6:05 PM

Well, I called it. I knew this would be an uninspiring development as soon as they picked this developer in the RFP. With a completion date of 2023, I sure hope this goes through a few revisions and a few added floors as this tower looks no different than any other average tower getting built across the country. It should be better than this.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Nice design, but it's definitely not 'signature'. I would be more on board if the student housing were replaced with office. Is ASU or UA involved?

I would feel less inclined to rent a luxury apartment within a student housing development.
I'm guessing that ASU may be involved since it was posted not too long ago that they plan on adding student housing in the near future.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 6:07 PM

what a let down. Did anyone put in a request to see what the Davis RFP looked like?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:26 PM

Phx is currently in a boom and this is all we can get for a "signature tower?" I was hoping for a 10 out of 10 project, expected an 8 out of 10, and am really disappointed it's looking like we will end up with a 6 out of 10.

So the city is projecting an apartment shortage by 2020... is an extra 200ft of apartments and an iconic "this is phx" design too much to ask? Every downtown in the nation has 5 buildings in it with that same bland look!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessPower View Post
Phx is currently in a boom and this is all we can get for a "signature tower?" I was hoping for a 10 out of 10 project, expected an 8 out of 10, and am really disappointed it's looking like we will end up with a 6 out of 10.

So the city is projecting an apartment shortage by 2020... is an extra 200ft of apartments and an iconic "this is phx" design too much to ask? Every downtown in the nation has 5 buildings in it with that same bland look!
"Signature" towers are rarely residential, until there is high enough office demand to warrant a large and tall office building we arent going to get anything signature.

Sorry guys thats just how it is.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 6:16 PM

My public records request for the RFP proposals just got fulfilled.

The Aspirant proposal would have been a 2m sq. ft. mixed use development with ~600 apartments, 200,000 sq. ft. of office, hotel and retail, and would have been 499'--a new tallest in Arizona. On the flip side, however, I think this proposal is pretty ugly--a big, gray, full-block, monolithic parking structure with two towers on top.

The winning proposal from Electric Red is 1.1m sq. ft., with 300 apartments, 217 student housing units, 150 hotel rooms. The two towers are 300' and 200' tall. I can see some of the appeal--it's a realistic proposal, the proposer made explicit in the proposal that they will not be seeking a GPLET, and they layed out the economic benefits to the City really well. I also appreciate that the massing is varied and not so monolithic as the other two proposals. And the parking is proposed BELOW GRADE, which I also appreciate.

The Ryan/Davis proposal was NOT the one from the previous round. It also is a big, monolithic full-block parking structure with two towers on top. It is the smallest proposal, at about 1m sq. ft. The towers were only 210' and 186'. The towers were to be office and student housing--no general public market rate housing. In form it reminds me of the American Airlines buildings in Tempe, and is pretty underwhelming.

Given the proposals they received, I can't say they made the wrong choice. A new tallest would have been cool, but the design of the Aspirant proposal was really not to my liking. And the Ryan proposal was underwhelming and would have been disappointing to only include office and student housing.

When I get a minute I will post some of the renderings. If anyone wants me to send the full proposals feel free to PM an email address.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 6:26 PM

Aspirant Proposal

Here is the Aspirant proposal:

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 6:40 PM

The Aspirant proposal would have been pretty good if they cut the cinder block looking garage. Too bad.

Hard to believe that Davis submitted something not even half as tall as their last proposal. I'm surprised at Davis on this.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 6:45 PM

Here is the Ryan/Davis Proposal:

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:32 PM

Skimmed through all 3 proposal (thanks muerte!) I think, overall, the better proposal was indeed Electric Red. It seems to activate all 4 sides at ground level and seamless connection to the park. 300' tower is kind of disappointing however.

Aspirant is kind of ugly looking but in terms of height and apartment/condo mix, it would've been awesome. 41 stories (499') and 36 stories (443'). But at same time kind of frustrating, why wouldn't you want to break the 500' barrier?? lol

"This project will be the highest density single urban block development in Arizona, with a projected FAR of 17.9, and the tallest building in the State, utilizing all but one foot of the height available at the site per code."

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Oct 23, 2018 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Here is the Aspirant proposal:

Ya know, I wouldn’t mind Asparint building that big ugly bastard on another block

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:26 PM

The tallest proposal wouldn't be that bad if they fixed that ugly parking area. Jesus that's just huge, but I love the height though. Maybe they can build something else in Phoenix. What happened to Davis? Their proposal looks like something you build far out in the suburbs. I'm surprised because they design some good buildings.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:35 PM

I'm sorry, these designs are just depressing. I mean the Ryan/Davis proposal....just sad. These would be fine for suburban business parks, but I'm just dismayed at these as I really feel these are mundane proposals being thrown at Phoenix for what should have been the best development space in Downtown to date. Why couldn't Phoenix have had something better proposed? I am not referring in any way to height. But why not add an angled roofline, spire or crown? Curvature? Lots of glass? Anything besides another square cinder block? Yes, these do add to the costs of development, but every other Downtown in the country is getting better towers than this.

With all these towers getting proposed or built. They are awesome for density, but Phoenix could really use just 1 tower that is not a block-sized monolithic rectangle that actually has some thought put into the design that compliments the city.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I'm sorry, these designs are just depressing. I mean the Ryan/Davis proposal....just sad. These would be fine for suburban business parks, but I'm just dismayed at these as I really feel these are mundane proposals being thrown at Phoenix for what should have been the best development space in Downtown to date. Why couldn't Phoenix have had something better proposed? I am not referring in any way to height. But why not add an angled roofline, spire or crown? Curvature? Lots of glass? Anything besides another square cinder block? Yes, these do add to the costs of development, but every other Downtown in the country is getting better towers than this.

With all these towers getting proposed or built. They are awesome for density, but Phoenix could really use just 1 tower that is not a block-sized monolithic rectangle that actually has some thought put into the design that compliments the city.
There is no office demand downtown. The kind of towers you want come from Office buildings not from residential unless its a billionaire haven in midtown manhattatn.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:55 PM

The selection process reminds me of that show House Hunters - where none of the homes are really "the one" and the home buyers never really get everything on their desired list.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest