HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 9:01 PM

Cuthbert is still great, Rod Black is the worst announcer in Canadian sports though. Also TSN should be having the Playoffs and Grey Cup on the main CTV network, why does NFL football always get to be on main CTV network and CFL football now the crown jewel in Bell's sports portfolio now that they lost the NHL rights to Rogers is not makes no sense whatsoever.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Cuthbert is still great, Rod Black is the worst announcer in Canadian sports though. Also TSN should be having the Playoffs and Grey Cup on the main CTV network, why does NFL football always get to be on main CTV network and CFL football now the crown jewel in Bell's sports portfolio now that they lost the NHL rights to Rogers is not makes no sense whatsoever.
Simultaneous substitution rules. Everyone thinks it's some kind of slight against the CFL, but the reality is different. Because the NFL games are on US TV, Bell has something to gain by putting NFL games on CTV as explained by Wikipedia:

Quote:
Since 2008, CTVglobemedia (now Bell Media) has held both the exclusive rights to the Canadian Football League and the rights to Sunday afternoon and playoff games of the American National Football League, broadcasting most NFL games on CTV, while relegating CFL games (including the Grey Cup) to TSN, making CFL games unavailable on broadcast television for the first time in Canadian history. The move was in part due to the desire to gain simsubbing rights over the NFL broadcasts, something that was not necessary for CFL games because, as of 2010, those games are only on cable TV in the United States.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 2:48 PM

Proposed rule changes for the 2015 season:

Convert-related changes

-Lengthening the distance of touchdown converts from 12 to 32 yards.
-Missed converts can be returned for a two-point score.
-Teams who elect to go for a two-point conversion after TDs be allowed to scrimmage the ball from the 3-yard line instead of the 5-yard line.
-Proposed preseason test of a 3-point convert, which would occur when a team elected to scrimmage from the 10-yard line after a touchdown.

Other changes

-A ban on any contact between a receiver and defender beyond five yards downfield.
-Adding offensive pass interference to defensive pass interference as penalties coaches can challenge.
-Allowing offenses to snap the ball quicker.
-Taking away the power of coaches to request a measurement.
-Forbidding the five interior linemen on the kicking team from crossing the line of scrimmage until the ball is kicked.
-Changing the way the 5-yard no-yards penalty is applied to make it more punitive.
-Doing away with re-kicks after a kickoff goes out of bounds.

Not sure why they felt the need to shake things up so much with converts. I can live with the proposals except for moving attempts for 2 points up to the 3. If you're moving the kicks for 1 back, you don't need to sweeten the pot any more for 2 point attempts. The test of a 3 point attempt from the 10 sounds interesting...basically a last second, here-goes-nothing play that could make the ends of games more interesting.

The rest of the changes make good sense.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:27 PM
Go Chiefs!

WTF are those convert related changes? Just awful.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
WTF are those convert related changes? Just awful.
The league wants to make the single point convert less automatic of a process... basically provide more incentive to go for 2.

Backing up the single point convert to the 32 would probably be all they need to do... the rest is overkill.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:42 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

I really want to see a rule change on the single point award for missed FG's and punts that pass through the end zone (the rouge, if you will).

I do not want to the eliminate the point, as it does have strategic value, but I only would like to see it changed to this:

Elimination of the single point awarded on kicks that pass through the end zone on the fly. That is, the ball must either be fielded by the receiving/defending team, or touch the ground in-bounds before passing out of bounds through the end zone.

Primarily, this would eliminate the award of a single point on missed short field goals, which is pretty ridiculous. If you miss a 40+ yd FG and it goes out the back of the end zone - well, that was a good try. If you miss a 10 yd FG - you deserve nothing.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:45 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The league wants to make the single point convert less automatic of a process... basically provide more incentive to go for 2.

Backing up the single point convert to the 32 would probably be all they need to do... the rest is overkill.
At the end of the day, I want to watch football. And automatic one point converts are part of it. Such drastic changes are unnecessary.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 11:04 PM

Personally, I think that the opportunity for more "odd-number scoring" will reduce the possibility of overtime and ties. If teams can be encouraged to go for 2 (due to the LOS being on the 3 instead of the 5), then that's a good thing -- only 23 2-pointers were attempted last season, and only 7 were good. Also, if the 1-pt convert becomes a 32-yarder in a howling gale, then perhaps it's not such a sure thing, and teams will want to go for 2.

Anything that creates more strategic decision-making for the coaches, especially in the fourth quarter, should make the games more exciting.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 12:56 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Primarily, this would eliminate the award of a single point on missed short field goals, which is pretty ridiculous. If you miss a 40+ yd FG and it goes out the back of the end zone - well, that was a good try. If you miss a 10 yd FG - you deserve nothing.

Thoughts?
Interesting, but who misses a 10 yard field goal? Also, I would say that if you miss a short field goal and the other team can't get its act together to get the ball out (if it wants to) then you do deserve a point. Moreover, the number of times that a punt or missed FG attempt sails across the entire end zone unplayably is extremely small, and on many of those occasions the receiving team would probably have downed the ball anyway. I know they changed the kickoff rule this way some years ago, but it seems to me to be a solution in search of a problem.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 12:59 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
At the end of the day, I want to watch football. And automatic one point converts are part of it. Such drastic changes are unnecessary.
I think that if it were implemented, no one would ever want to go back to the automatic convert. I don't like messing with the rules, but this one kind of has me saying "yes, let's give it a shot".

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 3:00 PM

CFL rule changes were announced yesterday.

-The BOG moved single-point convert attempts to the 32, and two-point convert attempts to the 3. (They ixnayed the 3-point convert proposal.)

-The other biggie is banning DBs from contacting receivers more than five yards downfield.

Other, less significant stuff (from here):

Quote:
— When a punted ball hits the ground and a five-yard no-yards call is made, the penalty will automatically be added to the end of the return or the point where the ball was first touched by the return team, whichever results in better field position.

— Offences will now be allowed to signal to the referee they don't want to substitute and rather use a tempo offence, resulting in the officials blowing the play in immediately once the ball and yardsticks are set.

— A coach's ability to request a measurement has been removed, leaving it to the referee to measure when he is unsure if a first down has been made.

— On punts, the five interior linemen on the kicking team won't be able to leave the line of scrimmage until the ball is kicked. A 10-yard penalty will result for violating this rule.
I honestly wonder if they didn't overreact to the decline in scoring last season. I suspect that preventing DBs from jamming receivers much beyond the line of scrimmage is going to result in a lot of big gains, to the point where it might cease to be exceptional and exciting.

And I think the CFL would have been better off just moving the 2 point convert attempt to the 3... the 32 yard line for single point attempts is overkill. I honestly wonder who will even bother going for 1 anymore unless a team has a comfortable lead.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 3:30 PM
arf

^Agreed. I think it is an over-reaction. I'm worried that the season just becomes a flag-fest and the defense is given no chance to defend at all. Sure scoring is exciting, so is a good defensive play. What isn't exciting is a drive that consists of five first downs due to penalties. Non-plays aren't exciting.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 3:49 PM

With Ottawa signing Chris Williams and the new rules, I think there will be a record number of Return TDs this year.

Should be an exciting year

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Should be an exciting year
Unless you're a DB!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Unless you're a DB!
......or a punter. I am sure they will be some awkward missed tackles by punters this year too

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:09 PM

^ Haha, hadn't thought of that, but yeah, punters are for sure going to have to spend more time on the tackle drills this season!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:55 PM

Huge pickup for Ottawa today signing Chris Williams.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 7:45 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Slowly closing in on an Argos sale?

http://www.tsn.ca/bell-tanenbaum-in-...nauts-1.268118

From TSN's Dave Naylor and Rick Westhead

Quote:
Bell and Larry Tanenbaum, two of three parties involved in ownership of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, are negotiating to buy the Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts from David Braley and aiming to secure a lease that would see the team move to BMO Field in time for the 2016 CFL season, TSN has learned.

Toronto city councillor Mark Grimes, chair of Exhibition Place, where BMO Field is located, said he spoke to CFL interim commissioner Jim Lawson on Monday morning and understands the sale is nearing completion.

Completing the complex transaction has been difficult, according to several sources, because the third partner in MLSE's ownership, Rogers Communications, has declined to take on a stake in the Argos.

Tanenbaum and Bell have been negotiating a BMO Field lease with MLSE, which includes representatives from Rogers who want to ensure its partners pay market value for the stadium that is currently home to Toronto FC.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 8:06 PM

Good old Rogers. They'll do anything to stick it to the CFL, from renting the Buffalo Bills to kicking the Argos out of Skydome, to now refusing to allow MLSE to purchase the team and forcing the other two partners to go it alone. Did Don Matthews steal their CEO's girlfriend back in the day, or what?

Well, it's not like the Argos will be worse off being owned by Bell and its multibillion dollar balance sheet in partnership with Larry Tanenbaum.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 12:31 AM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Good old Rogers. They'll do anything to stick it to the CFL, from renting the Buffalo Bills to kicking the Argos out of Skydome, to now refusing to allow MLSE to purchase the team and forcing the other two partners to go it alone. Did Don Matthews steal their CEO's girlfriend back in the day, or what?

Well, it's not like the Argos will be worse off being owned by Bell and its multibillion dollar balance sheet in partnership with Larry Tanenbaum.

Yeah, so much for the MLSE "partnership" to do what's best for the organization. I'm not sure I get Rogers play here. They want 'fair market' rent on BMO field, but will get that at the expense of their share of the Argos portion of the broadcasting rights and other revenues, if they were owners. Seems strange.

Unless there is some underlying bitterness about the CFL exclusivity to Bell/TSN, I'm not really sure I understand this. Seems to be a "cut off your nose to spite your face" type of scenario.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada