HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Burj Al Alam in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Dubai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 5:35 PM
Time/Space

Beautiful tower. Very good.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 5:44 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Interesting and different. I like it.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 29, 2006, 5:56 AM
Mika

Looks great, especially the 'flower' in the top

Old Posted Mar 29, 2006, 10:49 AM

Very nice design.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2006, 2:25 PM
Original Member since '99

they have done it again

Old Posted Mar 29, 2006, 3:48 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

Very unique design, it does look like a flower on the top. I like it!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2006, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
Now if this doesn't get a new post between today and tomorrow I'll kick all your asses!!!

I think I read that 27 floors will be part of a hotel while the remaining will be offices.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2006, 4:40 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

That's what it's supposed to be. Normally when I hear of a tower which will look like X, then usually it turns out to be cheap and tacky looking. Surprisingly this one incorparates the flower element quite well without going completely over the top like that trump thingy on palm jumeirah.

I wonder how the developers will be able to make their money on this one though. Usually supertalls in Dubai are res towers which require less elevators and can be made pretty thin. This is a mostly office tower though and it's really thin so I wonder how they'll be able to make their $1.1bn back. The top part will be a hotel and apartments though so there won't need to be as many elevators servicing the top and hence, less elevators taking up valuable office space. Large companies like Emaar can pull these things off though. For example, the burj dubai tower is only a part of a much larger larger development so what Emaar will do is jack up the prices on all apartments with a "burj dubai view" and make their money back for building the tower. Of course smaller developers can't do the same thing so I'm wondering how this one will work.

Yup, it was 74 floors of office, and 27 floors of serviced apartments and hotel. Aswell there's retail on the ground floor and maybe floor 1 or 2 aswell. There'll be a need of a skylobby in this one too probably.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2006, 11:53 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Actual height is 482m.

And a bigger render:

Old Posted Apr 4, 2006, 5:19 AM
The True Avatar

I really like this tower. It looks almost organic.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2006, 10:57 PM

My word.

I like it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2006, 2:09 AM
BANNED

Christ. What's going to happen to Dubai when the oil runs out? The buildings are spectacular, but what sort of economic base does Dubai have to warrant this shockingly fast and high level of development? At the first sign of trouble, I see all the speculators bailing, ultimately leaving Dubai with dozens of derelict and crumbling super-talls.

There used to be an racially offensive term that was applied to this sort of ostentatious but economically unsound and superficial display of (temporary) wealth. A sound economy can not be built and sustained solely on real estate speculation and promises of future foreign tourism growth. I saw a show on TV a couple weeks ago detailing the construction of one of the world's largest shopping malls and an indoor ski hill. No explanation was given, though, of why people would want to fly into the Middle East to snow ski.

When Dubai builds the world's largest supercollider, the world's largest aircraft factory or the world's tallest University residence hall, I'll be more willing to change my mind about the sanity of all this construction. Right now I see a country that is institutionalizing an enormous gap between a small, wealthy and primarily foreign idle elite living in tall glass towers and a large class of poor servants, with almost no middle class. In short, a recipe for eventual disaster.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2006, 2:55 AM

Dubai is only 5% dependent on oil

Old Posted Apr 10, 2006, 3:04 AM
BANNED

Well then, I stand corrected. I will try to gather more information on Dubai before talking out of my ass ;-).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2006, 9:27 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton
When Dubai builds the world's largest supercollider, the world's largest aircraft factory or the world's tallest University residence hall, I'll be more willing to change my mind about the sanity of all this construction. Right now I see a country that is institutionalizing an enormous gap between a small, wealthy and primarily foreign idle elite living in tall glass towers and a large class of poor servants, with almost no middle class. In short, a recipe for eventual disaster.
They are already building the world's largest aircraft factory .
Trade is huge in that place though, Dubai ports world (yes, the company that bought the 6 US ports) is the 3rd largest ports operator in the world now (even without the US ports) and now they're going for the aviation industry aswell. There's a good bit more stuff like this but still, there's going to be major oversupply in a few years. Just a month ago or so the stock market in Dubai (and in the Gulf in general) crashed so it's possible that the real estate market could also crash. I'd say this'll happen when some of the big projects like the palm and jumeirah beach residence are handed over. Who knows though

Old Posted Apr 14, 2006, 11:06 PM

It looks like the stem of a giant plant.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2006, 5:57 AM

I' sure that it'll look nice as an isolated object, but will it be well integrated in the city ? I have no idea.

Old Posted May 17, 2006, 10:51 PM
`

Fortune Group opens sale of commercial space at Burj Al Alam

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:53

In one of the largest releases of freehold commercial space in the UAE, leading Dubai-based Real Estate Development Company, Fortune Group, announced that it has officially opened sale of commercial space at their recently launched flagship project, Burj Al Alam – the world’s tallest commercial tower. This project is being developed at an estimated value of AED 4 billion at Business Bay.

Commercial space in evenly distributed clusters totaling over one million sq. ft. will be made available across the first 74 floors of the 108 floor tower. Fortune will also customize space so as to meet investor requirements. The base price has been fixed at AED 1350 per sq. ft. for the commercial space of this prestigious project and is expected to attract substantial premium in the near future. The top 27 floors of the tower will be dedicated to hotels and service apartments, while rest of the space will be taken up by retail developments within the tower.

Commenting on this development, Mr. Ahmed Khoory, Chairman – Fortune Group said: “The initial pre-launch bookings and reservations itself will amount to a significant percentage of the sales. In line with our strategy, we will also offer a sizeable amount of space to global investors and seekers of premium commercial space. Our focused marketing and pricing strategy along with the given demand for commercial space in Dubai, we are confident that Burj Al Alam will be sold out in record time.”

The Group has also received overwhelming response for the huge retail space that constitutes the multiple podium levels of the tower. Said Mr. Syed Mohammad Ali, CEO – Fortune Group, “We are happy to note that some of the world’s leading brands have approached us for exclusive retail space at the Burj Al Alam. As of now, we are consciously inviting only expressions of interest from prospective investors. While the retail space will be released for sale shortly, we will screen all investors to ensure the presence of only premium brands of international repute spanning an even mix across all sectors.”

Fortune Group has tied up with Amlak to offer finance facilities of up to 90% to investors. Finance packages will be made available to UAE nationals, residents as well as GCC and other overseas investors. The tenure will vary over a span of a maximum period of 25 years based on the eligibility criteria.

To be the tallest and the most incredible edifice dedicated to commercial space, Burj Al Alam will reflect Dubai’s growing eminence in the world of business. Aside from its formidable height, the project is designed to resemble the stem of a flower with its crown shaped to signify a blooming crystal flower. An architectural wonder that tapers at the centre to blossom as it shoots into the sky is poised to be the most striking in the aesthetic sense. Burj Al Alam will also house the world’s highest hotel.

Old Posted May 17, 2006, 11:16 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I really hope sales go well for this so it can be built as soon as possible. Office space usually does sell well (for the moment anyway) because not much has been released yet.

I really love this tower, it's one of my favourites now:

Old Posted May 17, 2006, 11:34 PM

Tears of happiness come to my eyes when I see this. This is what Dubai should be about. Not some Disneyland of WTBs, but a Disneyland of unique authentice DTBs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive